1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Slow going for Gaither's recovery

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Gaither treading slowly toward recovery
    Written by Michael Gehlken

Jared Gaither shuffled his feet slowly toward the dinner tent at Chargers Park, his eyes heavy as if he'd just awoken, his arms hanging to his waist.

The Chargers left tackle is 6-foot-9.

When stopped to speak about his injury, he was short.

Gaither missed his 14th straight practice Wednesday, not participating since July 28 when he suffered what were described as back spasms in the team's weight room. It's the most curious and, for its mystery and importance of the man afflicted, maybe the most concerning of the Chargers' injuries in training camp.

Yes, there's running back Ryan Mathews, out four to six weeks with a broken clavicle. But the team is outwardly confident he's set up for a big year once he returns to the field, and there is veteran depth in place.

Yes, there's wide receiver Eddie Royal, out nearly all of training camp thus far with a groin injury. But the team seems to be playing things safely with their dynamic slot weapon and punt returner, who is progressing down the road to recovery quickly enough.

Then there is Gaither, a big man making small strides.

"We're day-to-day," coach Norv Turner said Wednesday. "I think he's slowly getting better, but I can't tell you when he'll be back."

Gaither was excused from Chargers Park this week to see a doctor. What developments came from it, if any, have not yet been released, the latest piece to an enigmatic puzzle.

Wearing what must be an extra-extra-extra-extra large hooded sweatshirt, pre-shrunk, Gaither didn't speak freely the way Mathews did when discussing his shoulder surgery. He didn't laugh like Royal when talking about how good he felt.

Quietly, he listened as Turner's words from Wednesday — it's a slow recovery, getting better each day — were paraphrased back to him.

"That's the way I like to think," Gaither said. "Yeah. It's getting better."

Then, with a step forward, he was back to his slow course.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :mad:

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I was of the opinion that our O-line was the key to the season. Now only more-so. :tdown:

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I have a back problem and it took the better part of 17 years to finally get a complete diagnosis. QuackOpractors are useless, Orthopedist are great for hard parts and connecting tissues but a good Neurologist is a must for nerve damage. My muscle spasms would flex my leg until my heel was in total contact with my arse and my toes inline with my tibia, talk about a Charlie Horse, like to kill me the first time it happened.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :eek:

Holy hell Hexed... glad to hear that you're not experiencing that anymore (at least I hope?)

I've been seeing a Chiro for the past few months since my car accident, he's been great. Between the phyical therapist/massage therapist and the Neuro consult who are all affiliated with his practice I've made great strides. Heard some seriously scary Chiro stories though... definitely more quacks than good ones out there.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thats why next year we will need to draft another DB in the first round, we can build the line through free agency

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    There's nothing fun about having back problems. I haven't had anything worse than a tweak from lifting, and even that is extremely unpleasant. I can't imagine how bad nerve damage must be. /shudder

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    This has always been the problem with Gaither; it's not new or surprising that the big man has back problems. He did at U of Maryland & with the Ravens. I wanted Gaither resigned for sure but the Chargers basically willed themselves into a corner by not looking for a reasonable back up when your left tackle has been plagued by these problems his ENTIRE CAREER. Maybe the Chargers finally caught a break with Mike Harris but man if it wasn't for him (and even with him potentially) the team could be in serious serious trouble.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Two major surgeries later and I haven't had a problem since 1997, I'm one of the few that have had big time back injuries and surgery actually was a success. My Neurosurgeon was in Alvarado Medical Center and done me right, he told me not to see Chiropractors anymore but does use them himself along with Orthopedic surgeons on major accident victims. So they have their place just make sure it's a damn good one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    5 friends of mine have been to chiros over the years they have become so depent on them they have to return every few weeks to feel right! I think the quacks do this on purpose for the repeat business I'll never visit one! Hell they don't even have a legit medical license:eek: