1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Mouth vs. Finesse

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Nov 11, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This is what I miss mostly about our team...
    We once used to be smash mouth and physical. Our OL was physical and was ready to sock someone in the mouth!!! Which leads to a monter running game to shove the ball down the defensive line's throat! It also controls the clock and sets a guy like Rivers up to knock the opposing team out and rub it in their face (early in the game).
    Yes... I get the whole part about this being Rivers team and him in control BUT HE'S A SMASH MOUTH KIND OF PLAYER WITH A GOLDEN ARM!! :yes:

Now we have a finesse team and I don't like it.
    Seems the whole idea is to make Rivers look like Payton Manning and he doesn't want that. RIVERS IS TOO PHYSICAL FOR THAT!!! :yes:

Seems that looking pretty and putting up fantasy stats is what AJ and Norv are trying to achieve with this team.
    Through all of this... I see Rivers on the side line looking like a man possessed AND I LOVE IT!!! His team needs to fit his style AND HE IS NOT FINESSE!!!

We used to have a power house defense and I don't want to hear about injuries. It's more about our new identity.
    You know why Norv's use of Sproles was affective against the Colts and was useless against the Steelers? Because a player like him doesn't stand a chance against a power house defense!!!
    Colts were (supposidly) the best team in the league for years before they won the Super Bowl. I say "supposidly" because they were pretty, fun to watch, good fantasy numbers, etc. but a smash mouth team could knock them on their a**. IT HAPPENED MANY TIMES!!!
    THAT IS A REASON WHY WE COULD BEAT THEM!!!
    SMASH MOUTH DEFEATS FINESSE ABOUT 90% OF THE TIME!!!

There is a reason why the Steelers have two titles since Rothlisberger as opposed to one since Manning.
    I'd rather have Super Bowl titles instead of big rating, commercial endorcements, celebrity encounters, etc. AND SO WOULD RIVERS, LT, JAMMER, JACKSON, ETC.

SMASH MOUTH MUST RETURN!!!!
    Phillip Rivers is not Peyton Manning and he doesn't want to be!!
    Any other opinions?

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    is that a fact? how do you know? have you talked to him about this? did he tell you? or...

are you making stuff up as usual?

as for my opinion, I'd think (notice I didn't use know) most QB would be happy with a pass oriented offense, I guess I'd like the 2006 running offense combined with this (or last) year's passing offense :icon_shrug:

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I don't care if you let Mike Singletary throw a pass, QB is NOT a smashmouth position. Never will be. News flash... quarterbacks throw passes and there's no such thing as a smashmouth throw. :lol:

Your definition of smashmouth is all wrong....

"It also controls the clock and sets a guy like Rivers up to knock the opposing team out and rub it in their face (early in the game)."

Remember all those game winning passes and highlight reel bombs from back in Marty's day? You don't? That's because there were none. Smashmouth means you run the ball 35+ times a game and your quarterback doesn't need to throw more than 15-20 passes. That's the offense you want Rivers playing in? :icon_huh:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Take off your blinders!!
    When things aren't going well in a game, do you see Rivers throwing a hissy fit? I don't. I see him concentrating on his focuse and figuring out how to get back in the game.

Does Rivers look like he's concerned about how many yards he's thrown or how big his stats are?
    If so, you must be watching the games blindfolded.

This isn't hard to figure out but then again... "just because I think logically, that doesn't mean everybody else does!!!"

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It can be. The smash moth type is the kind that will take a hit and do what ever it takes to win... and will hit back if necessary. THAT'S RIVERS!!!

And you can still have a successful passing game with smash moth style. Finesse is more about show... that's not Rivers!!

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    That's not "smashmouth" football, that's individual toughness. What exactly are you talking about here? Personality traits or football schemes? :icon_shrug:

PR is a tough, proud guy that plays with a passion. But you're trying to use this 'smashmouth' paintbrush to color a whole bunch of different **** that is totally unrelated. PR is tough, yes, and I prefer 'tough' football players to pussies... However, I like PR playing in a 'finesse' offensive scheme because it actually allows him to throw the ball 30+ times a game and utilize his physical tools. :yes:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You can have it both ways and you're saying we can't. Many championship teams had an affective running game and an affecive passing game. We have the players for it!!!

8. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    they should call more QB draws outtof the shotgun, rivers was a safety in high school he would rip these fools up. i agree

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Thanks for the non sequitur. :unsure:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Nice thread, dude. You know all of your credibility was shot a long time ago. right? :lol:

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Hmm...well...at the midway point this season, the Jets, Titans, Panthers and Dolphins have the top running games. None of those teams have a winning record.

All of the top 10 passing teams, with the exception of Green Bay & the Ravens have winning records.

I jus think you stick with what works. In our case, Rivers is our answer.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My dog likes to run in the park.

I have ice cream.

My bike is fun.

Goodbye.

Yum.

:lol:

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The Donks once had one of the best QBs and RBs in the game and they won back to back Super Bowls. They were not wild cat either.
    So your whole statement about you can only have one or the other is defeated!!!

We need a running game... care to deny?

14. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    here's some logic for you...99.9% of posters, fans, and opposing fans think you're wrong, annoying and pull (what you call facts) out of your a$$ 99.95% of the time (yeah, it's a fact, I conducted a scientific poll :icon_shrug:), wouldn't someone would "logically" conclude that it's not the 99.9% that are wrong, maybe, just maybe its you!?!?!?

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Dear Santa.

Please bring us more playoff wins without ever reaching the Super Bowl.

nickelbolt

I can do that too! :tounge:

16. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    dear santa

let's forgo the entire regular season, playoffs and just play the superbowl already

b4l

hey, this is fun :icon_tease:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You're right there. Most BT posters but the real fans who show up at games, watch their team at sports bars, etc. are right up there with me.

I realize I'm one of the few who want a Super Bowl victory in this forum and realize we need to get back to the drawing baord in order to do so. That makes me the minority in here but you are actually the minority outside of the forum!!! :yes:

Get out more, Junior!!!

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Saying we need a running game is not the same as saying we need to play "smashmouth football"

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Seriously.

I'm about ready to write you off as a legit poster.

Can you seriously be this naive?

Or are you just pretending to be naive to use persuasion tactics while making your arguments?

"If you don't agree with me you obviously don't care about the Super Bowl!"

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You and niclebolt... carry on.

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    sarcasm is wasted on you, let's go with a straigh take

this is my opinion but maybe some other posters share it

a) I want the Chargers to win a superbowl, and another and another
    b) the Chargers don't play the superbowl next week nor the week after that, in fact, some would say that they have to win enough regular season games and then some playoff games to get to the superbowl
    c) I actually enjoy watching football on sundays and even more so if the Chargers win (even if it's a meaningless regular season game)
    d) we're in the middle of the season, the Chargers won't make a head coaching change during the season (specially at 5-3) so I don't worry about it right now, at the end of the season we can all write thousands of threads calling for Norv's firing

and fifth, did I mention that I want the Chargers to win a superbowl?

thanks old man, I feel young again

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Saying we can't have it both ways without being wild cat isn't true either.

Steelers are smash mouth and they have a good passing game. They aren't pretty but they win and they're tough. That's where we need to be!!!

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I've been attacked many times for mentioning a Super Bowl victory... and told how great Norv is for taking a 14-2 team to the AFCC and getting us into the playoffs at 8-8 and winning the first round.

Not you but others in here ARE that way!!! :yes:

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    this might be the only admision of being wrong we'll ever get from B4L

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You're a strange guy.
    Though I will say it's great to think outside the herd!!! :yes:

26. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    thanks again, I wouldn't want a strange guy (you) to think I'm normal :lol: :icon_eek:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You're getting weirder by the second!!! :yes:
    Why don't you spell out the whole thing instead of editing a segment of it... Michael Moore?

28. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    or, people can read the whole thread and figure it out :icon_shrug:

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Uh...never said that. I was just pointing out that the top passing teams (which we are one of) don't need to rely on the run as much.

Don't get me wrong...a consistent running game would be nice.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Again.

Crediting Norv with getting that far does not equate to being satisfied with getting that far.

You can keep reminding me of how many times you've been told Norv has gotten to the AFCC game it will not negate that fact.

You keep telling us we were a 14-2 team. Well, that 14-2 team went one and done.

Going off your own argument I am forced to draw the conclusion that you are satisfied with going one and done as long as we win 14 regular season games.

Now, I know this is not true, but going off of the same reasoning you keep using to insist nobody but a select few cares about the Super Bowl, I'm forced to conclude that that is all you care about. (Winning 14 regular season games)

• Like Like x 1