1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Smith: Chargers want new deal for LT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    After the Chargers designated RB/KR Darren Sproles as their franchise player for the 2009 season, general manager A.J. Smith confirmed what had been speculated for months — that the team will look to renegotiate RB LaDainian Tomlinson’s contract.

“[Sproles' franchise designation] does not affect our ability to negotiate a new contract with LT,” Smith said in a statement released by the team. “We’re hopeful of getting a new deal done with him.”

Tomlinson fought through injuries to rush for 1,110 yards and score 12 total touchdowns in 2008. Chargers management and Tomlinson have had a strained relationship since the end of the season.

Chargers safety Eric Weddle was at the NFL Network studios on Wednesday and said he hopes that Tomlinson can return for 2009.

“He’s still one of the best players in the league,” Weddle said. “Some say he’s on the decline, but he played through a lot of injuries last season. If he wasn’t such a team guy, he would have sat out half of the year and come back 100 percent. But he always looks out for the team. I hope he’s part of the team next season.”

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    LT is going to get a good laugh out of this coversation

Yeah im sure the greatest player to ever wear a chargers jersey, a guy who has had 8 consecutive 1100 yard, 10+ TD seasons will take a huge paycut, one that would make him less paid THAN HIS BACKUP!

LT is going to laugh, AJ is going to get offended and LT is going to be a Dallas Cowboy next year

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

buzz kill

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree. Though there is one point. I don't know that LT will laugh but if LT isn't ready to crawl up AJ's a** and die, he WILL be offended.

In fact, I think AJ wants to get rid of LT because he did not draft him. That's just his personality.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Really, how so? Has he done that before? That seems rather self destructive and I doubt AJ Smith is a self destructing kind of guy.

6. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    That's bullsh!t. And I doubt u really believe that.

If anything LT is the biggest part of John Butler's legacy, and AJ Smith was a HUGE part of that, as his right hand man. Hell, AJ was on John Butler's nuts since their days in Buffalo (I mean he has the utmost respect for Butler, but writing it this way gets my point across). LT wasn't Beathard's or Marty's guy, he was Butler's, and in extension, AJ's guy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    really, is this a fact? please explain...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    :icon_rofl:

Where do you come up with this ****? Does it just fall out your one of your cranial orifices?

• Like Like x 2
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes:S4B...

...jes sayin'

10. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    My guess on LT's new deal:

2009: $4.5mil signing bonus $4mill base pay
    2010: $4mil
    2011: $4mil

New cap hit is $5.5mil per year.

I don't know how his past bonus would hit this year's cap, but this way he still makes his money this year so no offense for what Sproles is making. Small increases in 10 and 11 or a partial guarantee of next years salary can be made to sweeten the deal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

LT will get a lower base deal loaded with incentives that could pay him more than he gets now if he has a great year. LT may be the Starter, but Sproles is doing a lot more than just playing backup RB, he's also our KR and PR, and LT knows how great of a weapon Sproles is for this team and I'm sure he's more than happy that the Chargers kept a quality player around.

Now I want to know will you eat your crow if AJ keeps LT?

I'm sure you will, you always go extreme one end or the other.

12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't think AJ not drafting him will have in impact really. AJ respects LT and wouldn't just dump him because he didn't draft him.

I mean AJ has kept Jamal, and he didn't draft him.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yeah, he really wanted to get rid of LT when he extended him last time. You are hilarious! :lol:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I do. He's an egotistical piece of garbage!!!
    AJ does NOT respect LT and it's heard all over the NFL world!!! He DID mock LT!!!
    Here's an example... LT asked that we get Neal. Well we all know how it benefited us to release him the suite Norv better.
    Ravens fans say "thank you for your stupidity, DUMB A** AJ!!!"

ONLY thing stopping him for releasing LT is how he'd have to answer to the press and fans. FACE FACTS!!!

All I can say is "No Super Bowl Victory in 2009... AJ AND NORV BETTER GET THE **** OUT OF TOWN!!!!"

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He wasn't going to release him in 2004. That would have made him the Ryan Leaf of GM's and got him fired immediatly!!!

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If LT is here next year, it will be because of him, not AJ

If LT is willing to accept less than his backup, than AJ has no choice, but if LT wants to be paid like the great player he is, than AJ wont keep him around

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    EXACTLY!!!!

If LT accepts less than his back up, will all you LT haters eat crow???
    Why not?

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We could likely know something before the end of the combine. Franchising Sproles, IMO, has very little to do with how LT will be handled. Two different matters. What franchising Sproles COULD affect is our draft selections. Someone might possibly still pony up draft picks for his services.

As for LT - he restructures or he's gone. That's the one fact that we know. All else is purely speculative.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    If LT accepts a deal that includes less money up front than Sproles got... it will be because he is open to the idea... because he was the one who first brought it up. So yeah RIP, S4B, and all others with blinders on... it will be "because of him".

AJ, Spanos, Ed Mcguire... none of those guys were standing in front of the press, mid-season, lamenting their futures. The press came to them after LT decided to talk about how he might be missing the playoffs, how his career might end without a Superbowl title, etc.

Then something miraculous happened... the team started winning, the Broncos started losing, and the Chargers made the playoffs... AND WON WITHOUT LT (AGAIN)!!!

- ATTENTION - THIS IS THE POINT AT WHICH YOU WILL NORMALLY STOP READING, START FUMING, PAINT ME AS AN "LT HATER" AND MAKE ANOTHER KNEE JERK NON-SENSICAL POST - BUT WAIT! - THERE'S MORE!! - SEE BELOW-

Facts are facts.

If LT wants to win a Superbowl title with the Chargers and is sincere about his own admission that he is willing to consider a restructured contract... then he will do the right thing and take less money up front... get healthy... and prove he can produce again.

It's not about hating LT. It's about looking at the facts, seeing the trends, considering historical patterns among other RBs, and then making a logical (and fiscally responsible) decision about the future of your TEAM.

I love LT. I appreciate what he's done for this team and this community. But thinking he is going to be as productive as he has been in the past at his age, especially late in the season, without considering all of the things I mentioned previously, is just flat out ignorant and irresponsible.

AJ is not trying to hurt LT. He even admitted that his comments were meant to send a message to Condon, not LT. Condon is the primary reason this drama even exists. Who do you think told LT to go to the press (or didn't tell him NOT to go to the press)? Who was leaking all the info about LTs injuries? Condon knew exactly how the media would play things if the "poor me" card was played by LT instead of the agent. It worked... brilliantly. And yes, AJ should have kept his mouth shut. But shiit happens and the message was sent to Condon loud and clear.

I hope to gawd that LT defies the odds and proves all of the doubters wrong. I'm in the camp that thinks he can still be a top 10 back. PLEASE LT!!! PROVE ME WRONG... AND SHOW ME YOU'RE A TOP 5. All signals point to that not happening.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good post, Nick. :tup:

Players age & their skills diminish. As much as I admire & respect LT, I'm not willing to see the team hurt by keeping ANYONE past their ability to contribute.

Condon, IMO, is a greedy POS who plays the agent gamesmanship to the hilt. I wish that he weren't involved with some of our high-profile players, but he is. A few things that AJ has done have been shots across Condon's bow (the Tucker contract?).

I don't think AJ is GAWD by any stretch, but I also don't think that he has any vendetta against LT. Anyone who does must be smoking drain cleaner.

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Holy crap what did you munch some peyote last night? Great post Nick.

They're not going to listen to you though. :no: :lol: :bolt:

22. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    So, he really wanted to ditch LT during his prime because he didn't draft him, but he knew he couldn't. So he's been biding his time for the past few years just waiting for his chance?

Dude, you really should read your own stuff, it is f*cking hilarious!

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    So you advocate players making personnel decisions rather than the GM and coach?

Every time I think you couldn't be more clueless, you show me that indeed you can.

24. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Um AJ re-signed Neal, so AJ was more than willing to keep Neal. Neal asked to be released and AJ respected Neal enough to grant him that. AJ could have just as easily forced him to stay.

Let me know when LT asks to be released.

25. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    That didn't answer my question, you started bashing AJ because you made the assumption he would cut LT, well if he doesn't cut him would you stop bashing him?

Or you waiting for your perfect off-season (jones, whoever you want in the draft etc.).

26. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I expect the Chargers to offer LT a nice chunk of change up front as a signing bonus, extend the contract a couple of years (...that he will not be on the roster for) and the 2009 season, a cap friendly base salary and multi-layered incentives for performance. This way, if he has a monster year he gets paid or if he has another injury plagued season he doesn't reach the incentive target levels for yards, TD's, etc and we don't overpay for his services (from an NFL salary standpoint anyway) We know what we are getting with LT, which makes more sense to me than spending a lot of money on an unproven college kid as a mid first round pick when we have other pressing needs to address.

LT wants to stay and San Diego offers him a good chance at getting a Super Bowl ring. I believe they will get the deal done and we can concentrate on the other 52 guys on the roster.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Hey, can I start making up fact's and post them in here about Norv, AJ, LT and who Knows Deano. That way I can have about 9K post's in no time, starting threads and interjecting into them without rhyme or reason. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

28. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    How do you figure?

All athletes who have played as long as he has get hurt at some point. And with the exception for the past year he's been about as injury free as RBs get. As things stand now I see the past year as an exception rather than the rule.

Couple that with floundering O Line, a floundering team in general, and a coach that has all but abandoned the run game and there are way too many variables to down-grade LT just yet.

If LT gets injured again next year or doesn't perform with better OLine play and more reps then I'll be ready to say that he's on the downside of his career. Until then NO ONE KNOWS the balance of the equation.

Does this mean the team should give him all the money that he's due? Well having an unknown sum works both ways especially when you have key personnel to re-sign.

LT and the front office seem like they want to make this work. All fun soap opera drama aside if the numbers make sense for both groups it will happen. And next year we'll probably get some answers on LT's ability to perform.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I stated "I think." That makes it opinion.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Lap dog in heat!!! Somebody please do the honor!!!