1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Smith states position on Weddle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 7, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Smith states position on Weddle
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED MARCH 5, 2011 AT 3:06 P.M., UPDATED MARCH 6, 2011 AT 9:13 P.M.

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith.
    K.C. Alfred/Union-Tribune

A.J. Smith has been pretty much underground since returning from the NFL Scouting Combine midweek, holed up at Chargers Park securing the Chargers a strong safety.

The general manager surfaced Saturday – perhaps just in time, considering he won’t be able to comment on anything other than the draft if there is a lockout -- and wound up addressing his former and hopefully future free safety.
    Smith still won’t talk about Bob Sanders, the strong safety the Chargers have agreed with on a one-year contract. That deal’s official completion is held up due to a paperwork issue the league is a little too preoccupied to deal with just yet. Since it’s not official, Smith isn’t commenting.

But, for now, the Chargers have in their possession Eric Weddle, who has started for them the past three years at free safety. And Smith was willing to talk about him.

The Chargers have long been known to want to retain Weddle and have expressed as much to his agent. But the team has been unwilling to talk expansively about a deal with almost anyone the past three years. And soon, whenever a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached, Weddle is expected to be an extremely hot commodity on the unrestricted free agent market.

Weddle, who has been open to a new contract with the Chargers for some time, this week expressed a desire to stay in San Diego but also a willingness to leave. He and his agent expressed some consternation that the Chargers have not reciprocated their willingness to get down to business.

On Saturday, Smith articulated his own opinion on the matter.

“First, we don’t know Eric’s status yet,” Smith said, referring to the fact the NFL considers Weddle a restricted free agent under the current CBA. “Second, if he should become (an unrestricted) free agent, I would hope by now everyone understands how we operate around here.”

That, of course, is a reference to Smith’s oft-stated mantra that the Chargers decide who remains a Charger, the timing of contracts and their monetary value.

“Eric is a great kid and an outstanding player,” Smith said. “He is exactly the type of player we want to be a part of the Chargers organization. If we should offer a contract, we would present a contract to his agent, David Canter, both in years and money. Our hope then would obviously be he likes it and accepts. If not, as Eric said, he will be moving on in a heartbeat, as will we.”

Smith then turned his attention to Canter, who stated his disappointment the Chargers have not wanted to engage in substantive talks.

“Regarding David Canter and his comment he is ‘baffled,’ “ Smith said, “(Chargers vice president) Ed McGuire has had several conversations with David regarding Eric. I have also had a conversation with David regarding Eric, and Coach Turner has talked with David.

“All I can say is I’m baffled (that) he’s baffled regarding our position at this point in time.”

While Smith’s take is, as usual, straightforward and provocative, it is all part of the process. His history is to deal on his timetable but to ultimately make the best effort to keep players he wants. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Weddle will be the Chargers' top priority once the new league year begins. That doesn’t mean he won’t receive a substantially better offer elsewhere, but the Chargers are expected to present a competitive deal.

First, everyone must await the outcome of continued CBA negotiations. Weddle is one of at least a dozen players expected to be unrestricted free agents that the Chargers must address when the time comes.

“Once we have clarity and direction on who our free agents are,” Smith said, “we will proceed and let you know which players we would like to have back and which players we have decided to inform that we will be going another direction.”

Smith states position on Weddle - SignOnSanDiego.com

AJ has Tiger Blood! :lol:

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Makes sense... But there are going to be a lot of butt hurt fans because AJ isnt being a huggy bear...

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I sure as hell wouldn't break the bank or take any undue chances to keep Weddle.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I would love to keep Eric simply for the fact that it took more than 3 years for us to find a FS like him. Not counting his 3 years of pretty damn good service imo. Course I am basing that improvment on the 3 years prior we didnt have E-Dub.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You mean a relatively slow white guy with what appears to be regressing ball skills & an inability to tackle the guy that Cromartie whiffed on?

THAT FS?

I'm not opposed to keeping him but I sure ain't gonna anoint him as the best thing since sliced bread. Doesn't sound like AJ is gonna roll over for him either.

Funny how people still hate on McCree for his decision to attempt to run with an interception but gloss over how Weddle bounced off of Shonn Greene as well.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I cant agree with your assessment of Weddle. He is the most consistent tackler on the team. He is the one with the best form in that he is always wrapping the opponent up and not going for the "jacked up!" segment big hit.

Regressing skills? He is getting better each year. I would not even call him slow, though I will point our that ala Cromartie, speed does not always make a good player. Rembmer Jerry Rice was 'slow;...

I dont hold trying to run the ball back against McCree, nor do I think it showes any moxy, or 'real fanhood' to try and judge a player on one play alone. I dont think one season alone ala "Bob Sanders 2007 superman" is correct.

Of course this is just my opinion, and one day I am labeled as a blind homer, then the next as a debby downer for not messing myself because we signed Bob "Mr. Glass, who is not expected to be ready to play at the opening of 2011" Sanders.... So you pick whihc one I am... :lol:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I said regressing BALL skills. How many passes bounced off his hands last year, several that he would have caught in years past?

And I'm not looking for the big jacked up hits, but Weddle misses his fair share too.

As stated, I'm not opposed to keeping him but I sure don't think that he brings enough to the table to want top dollar. And I don't know that he does - just speculation at this point. One thing I do know - if he isn't wearing bolts next year, I won't lose any sleep.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Simmer down Francis... (yeah been waiting to say that!)

Weddle is da man... That is all! :lol:

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    then someone needs to develop some communication skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No. Communication skills are working on both sides. You are hearing what they want you to hear.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I never said Weddle was one of the best at his position, but he is damnsure alot better than over half of the S playing today....

It sounds like your still hung up on the *kings ransom* *supposedly lost* from trading up for him. We had 2-3 starter spots open that year if that, then it was all second string. We would have taken players with those picks that would have ended up NOT starting right away and prob would have cut jus the same # as we did.

Weddle also will never be FAST. He will always be a great Footballer with a WELL of knowledge on the game alone. And he is good/great at almost everything. How many Serious contenders for starting Safetys in this draft? ONE.

O sweet NFL Replay of the KC game I was attending!! Yay this is a diff angle maybe ill find myself in the endzone crowd lol!

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I love it when they negotiate through the press

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    AJ himself said there would be no negotiations. He said he would present an offer and they can take it or leave it.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I doubt the Bolt's will be able to just pick up a player to replace Weddle, if it were possible they would have done so by now. It's funny that as Weddle has grown, so has the pass defense. Sure interceptions are great but just breaking up the play is just as important and gives the QB something to think about. With a decent SS, Weddle would even be better and I don't know if Sanders is that guy playing only part time.

Just like Ryanna, if he can't stay on the field then what good is he?

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Talk about the forest for the trees. Weddle misses a tack and suddenly the best tackler on the entire team is a bum.

I'll take a 1 in 50 missed tackle over stars in his eyes mental mistakes any day of the week. Mcree

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Talk about the forest for the trees. Weddle misses a tackle and suddenly the best tackler on the entire team is a bum.

I'll take a 1 in 50 missed tackle over stars in his eyes mental mistakes any day of the week. Mcree and Cromartie aren't in the same league as Weddle... Literally since McRee is a civilian and Cro was cut.

Sorry that Weddle hurt your feelings.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I won't even go as far as to say whether we should or shouldn't keep Weddle. All I am saying is that if they want to keep him, be willing to negotiate. If not, say so and move on. These ridiculous take it or leave it offers are just getting old. No one expects or wants the team to over pay for a player or just give them what ever they want. But be willing to negotiate and try and find a happy middle, would be nice

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    hahahahahaha .... Get your head outta your ***, Enormo. People still hate on McCree for one mistake. Weddle made one too.

I give a flying crap if he remains a Charger or not. What I believe is that far too much credit is given to him by many fans.

Now go on back to stroking your platypus.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    HE HAS A PLATYPUS?!

NO FAIR! I always wanted one of those.... Them and an armadillo!

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You want a possum on a half-shell?

Get ****-kicker to send you one. haha

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, I'm STILL pissed about that! Take a Knee McCree.....:mad: