1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking areas at stadium eliminated

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Fans unhappy over city's quiet action

By Matthew T. Hall

Union-Tribune
    2:00 a.m. August 25, 2009

Some Chargers fans are fuming over San Diego's decision to eliminate the designated smoking areas at Qualcomm Stadium.

Pat Guzik, a season-ticket holder for 24 years and a smoker for 40, is mad about the change — and even angrier that no one has formally notified the tens of thousands of spectators who will fill the stadium on game days.

Tailgaters can still smoke in the parking lot, but Guzik, who lives in Poway, said she wouldn't have spent $4,000 to renew her four season tickets if she knew she would be unable to smoke during halftime.

“I think a lot of people wouldn't have paid for the tickets,” she said. “There are a lot of football fans who smoke.”

Qualcomm Stadium manager Mike McSweeney, who oversees operations at the city-owned venue, said a change was needed. McSweeney said so many people were using the restricted area outside Gate E that they would spill into the stadium's plaza level, and too few people used the areas outside Gates O1 and O2.

“People will complain at every game regardless of what the smoking policy is or isn't,” McSweeney said. “You're never going to mollify everybody.”

He said conversations about a ban came up during the offseason and that a decision to do away with the designated areas was made jointly by stadium management, the mayor's office, the San Diego Police Department and the team.

McSweeney said it was the team's preference that the venue be made smoke-free.

Yet outside Gates O1 and O2 yesterday, a quartet of giant ashtrays teemed with cigarette butts. And Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston seemed a bit confused when asked about the new policy. Johnston said it hadn't changed since 2006.

“The new policy?” he said. “There isn't a new policy that I'm aware of.”

Told the details, Johnston said he would look into it. He later e-mailed a statement that read, “This year the City asked that the Chargers as a stadium tenant adhere to the ordinance and eliminate designated smoking areas inside the stadium and we agreed.”

Violations of the smoking ban may result in $136 fines and game ejections.

A National Football League spokesman could not provide each stadium's smoking policy last night, but it appears that other stadiums have similar bans.

In February 2006, Mayor Jerry Sanders began promoting a ban at Qualcomm Stadium, the same day the Padres announced that Petco Park would be smoke-free.

The City Council banned smoking at Qualcomm Stadium within the year except — as stated in the city's municipal code — in designated smoking areas where patrons can temporarily leave the stadium to smoke in a secured spot.

McSweeney said the City Attorney's Office advised him last week that this latest change does not require a public hearing or a council vote because a ban already exists and there is no requirement to have designated smoking areas.

McSweeney said the city toyed with the idea of allowing Chargers fans to smoke at the top of eight ramps on the upper deck this year, but decided against that approach. The ban applies to all events at the stadium.

The only public word of the change came in the second-to-last sentence of a lengthy news release, titled “Key information for fans attending games at Qualcomm Stadium,” that the team posted on its Web site before its first preseason game in mid-August. “There are no longer smoking areas inside the stadium,” the release said.

McSweeney said the city and the Chargers are planning more publicity at a news conference before the team's second home preseason game Sept. 4.

A spokeswoman for the local chapter of the American Lung Association, which has long publicized the health dangers of smoking, did not return a call yesterday.

Robert Best, California state coordinator for The Smoker's Club, a smokers' rights organization, called the restriction discriminatory.

“It's nice to know that the Chargers are more closed-minded than Disneyland because Disneyland still allows smoking in certain designated areas,” Best said.

Regardless of opposition, McSweeney said the issue won't be reconsidered.

“This ends it,” he said.

Union-Tribune

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    is this a little extreme? I mean there's very few smoking areas in the stadium to begin with and now eliminating them all?

3. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Meh. If you're jonesing for nicotine that bad, wear a 'patch' to the game, and/or chew Nicorette.

Weed, on the other hand......... :icon_eek:

4. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Good, one less reason for me to worry about when bringing my son to a game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    We used to hang out on the ramps at halftime. The smokers would cover our other smoke......

• Like Like x 2
  6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I think it sucks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    That makes 2 of us.

Just wait folks, next thing is gonna be an alcohol ban. No more booze in the stadium. Then no more booze anywhere on the lot. Ect.

8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    You were worried about 3 designated smoking areas when you bring your son to the game? Don't really know why this would bother you...

And don't worry, they make too much money off boos to ban that.

9. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    People bringing their bratty kids in. They going to put a special zone where families can hang out?

Also for health they need to ban selling all that bad food, or at least not sell it to children. People under 18 shouldn't be allowed to eat hot dogs, hamburgers, soda, or other bad food. Parents can "consent" to it, but in a Nanny state like this they don't know what they are doing.

I mean if 18 year olds can die, but not drink. Smokers can't smoke even when they are 18. Then how can parents hope to make decisions for their kids?

10. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    This is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

If you can figure out how to smoke and keep all the smoke inside of you so it doesn't bother people that don't smoke then I don't give a crap whether you want to smoke or not. I used to smoke for 13 years, so I understand the sad hold it has on smokers. I also was one of the very few that was considerate of non-smokers, but I'd have to say that only 1% of smokers actually think/care about how it affects people that don't smoke.

If you need nicotine that bad, get some skoal and quit crying.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    What a joke. There was nothing wrong with the designated areas, and the smokers always bothered me far less than the drunken gang members who run around acting like idiots. Beer at the stadiums causes far more problems than cigarette smoke does, but the Chargers don't sell cigarettes. If I'm a smoker who likes to enjoy a stick during the three hour football game, than there is no way in hell I'm paying for a ticket.

12. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I knew by your first post you were a former smoker. :yes:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Lame but not unexpectecd.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I've done that, too... Not exactly inconspicuous! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Seriously??? People smoking in the designated smoking area way out in the boonies is inconsiderate of the non smokers? We're not talking about smoking in stands or smoking in the bathroom or smoking in the public walking areas.

16. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It is about rights. Your a former smoker who is negatively affected by something, smoking. Thus your all for taking away someone else's right so you can have a more enjoyable experience.

Most fans don't like whinny kids. I can tell a smoker to stop smoking, tell a parent to act like a parent and have their kid behave and they want to get into a fight.

There are bad smokers, and bad parents. Parents with fat kids need to take responsibility. Since your so intent on the government and other people to take responsibility from smokers, then you should have no problem if they tell you how to raise your kids.

17. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    They really do need a family section. Maybe make a separate section where kids can't go.

Adults need time away from kids. I know some bad parents like to go to David Busters and get drunk while ignoring their kids, others rather escape their own kids and someone elses who scream stupid things out and whine. Plus some like to swear, can't do that with kids around.

18. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    People underestimate how far their smoke carries. Yes, I'm probably more sensitive to it than a non-smoker since I used to smoke, but that doesn't matter. Besides, the guy in the presser said that smokers were overflowing into the plaza section, so effectively yes, they were smoking in the public walking areas.

It always cracks me up how smokers get so defensive about smoking, to the point that they would quit doing something they love to do just so they can keep smoking. Whoever it was saying they'd quit buying football tickets just so they could keep smoking, hope you like listening to the games on the radio if these TV blackouts continue...

That's one of the biggest reasons I quit smoking. I got tired of being a b!tch to cigarettes. :tdown:

19. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    I already said, I don't give a crap if you smoke or not. I'm NOT taking away your right to smoke. I just want the respect I deserve in that your habit does not affect me. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. If you're going to try, get better at it because you're just making crap up.

I don't know about most fans not liking "whinny" kids. I'd go as far as saying most of the people that go to games have kids of some age, so they would understand a child whining (although I've yet to hear kids whining at games).

You got one thing right though, there's bad parents and bad smokers. You forgot one part though, there's also inconsiderate jerk offs that care for nothing but theirselves, and are quick to point out when someone is infringing on their "right", yet could give a crap when they do the same to others.

I'm not asking government to take responsibility from smokers. Hell, in this case it's a stadium policy, not a government action at all. Regardless, it was necessary since the smokers weren't accepting their responsibility and staying in their designated smoking sections.

As far as the drinking, I agree that my bigger concern at games is drunken idiots, but you guys who are arguing this point are missing the point. It's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's that some people act like idiots when intoxicated. The actual alcohol itself isn't affecting others. I'm drunk as hell at games, yet I still find a way to maintain control and not act like a jerkoff, like the majority does. Cigarettes on the other hand, directly affect others.

Like I said before, there's no ban on chewing tobacco, get some Skoal and stop crying. Also, stop trying to cry about your "rights" being taken away. They're not. They are just being redirected. You can still smoke in the parking lot. And honestly, you can't go 3 hours without a cigarette? WTH do you people do at work? I mean, in the Navy I can take breaks all the time, but I still stand 6 hour watches where I couldn't smoke back when I did.

20. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    That's all "fine and dandy" but it's not realistic. :yes:

Smokers are being treated like this from a bunch of whinny *****es. I'm a season ticket holder, There are not people smoking in the plaza section. That's false. The cop's crack down on smokers worse than drunks!

You seem to have the "solution" but not everyone can just drop they're smokes for Skoal. But you are part of the cause for smokers losing their rights.

I'm alergic to most perfumes and such. When can I get them banned?

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Can the ban in the parking lot be very far away?

Don't forget to ban those barbques, they create lots of smoke too. Very, very unhealthy.

And all those fatty foods on the grille, those are so bad for you. Vegie burgers are much better for you.

We do lots of unhealthy things and you can ban them all.

Or not, and let people live their lives free from constant nannying from the government. Lets not let soccer moms run the country please.

I don't smoke (except the occasional cigar) but for the love of God if you can't have a few puffs in a designated area in an open air stadium where can you smoke?

• Like Like x 1
  22. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    Nobody is losing their rights. Smokers losing their rights would be a complete ban on tobacco. They are still able to smoke, just not inside the stadium. It's private property, and rules can be made willy nilly at the whim of the owner. I can guarantee that this won't affect ticket sales, the smokers will just ***** and moan and then deal with it.

Why couldn't a smoker just drop their smokes for Skoal? I used to in my using days. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. Again, selfishness. I bring a completely viable solution to their problem, and it's rejected because "they shouldn't have to change just because others don't like it!". Hell, I love to speed, I shouldn't have to change just because others don't like it! Maybe I love to drink while I drive (I don't, this is just for argument's sake), why should I have to stop? YOU"RE TAKING AWAY MY RIGHTS OMG!!

How about smokers taking away my right to clean fresh air untainted by any more carcinogens than I get due to pollution? There's times when I can't get away from it, designated smoking area or not. Do I ***** about it? No, I just try to avoid those areas.

Again, you guys aren't realizing, YOU'RE NOT LOSING RIGHTS. THEY'RE NOT SAYING DON'T SMOKE EVER. You still have the right to smoke, but when you enter the stadium grounds, you agree to abide by their rules. Not give up rights, just abide by rules. You can still smoke in the parking lot. This is just typical smoker drama.

Hell, you can always move to the east coast where you can smoke pretty much wherever you want, and non-smokers rights are completely disregarded.

23. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    Yeah man, screw it! Unban crack! Unban cocaine! We don't need no nannying government!

The only reason why tobacco is not banned completely is because there's so much money in it, and because of it's historical value as a cash crop. It's the same reason acetaminophen isn't illegal, it's just been around too long to get rid of, even though the FDA has said that if acetaminophen had been introduced today it would have been banned in an instant with how much damage it does to the liver.

I'm sure there are bans that you agree with, but don't mind them for that exact reason. How about that crack? Why not unban it? I mean really, crackheads just sit around and waste away. Take away the illegality of it and it's very likely that the related crime will drop to similar rates as the legal drugs.

24. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    You jumped too fast. You should of said Weed or something that is commonly done. Jumping to crack cocaine.

Besides Tobacco is legal, crack cocaine isn't. Different discussion.

25. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    Using weed in my argument would have been self-defeating seeing as how most arguments show that it SHOULD be legal. I'm arguing the opposite. Debating 101.

Yes, you're right, tobacco is legal. It's use isn't completely unrestricted, but it's legal. So what? I was talking to Alpenbolt about banned substances. Reading comprehension FTW.

26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I get it you don't want it. Make a separate area for smokers. I doubt anyone will get cancer from breathing in smoke a distance away for a couple of hours a week. The pollution from rolling down your window is worst for you than what you get from that.

Only consistent exposure to concentrated second hand smoke has shown to cause damage. Hell drinking that soda and eating that Hot dog probably hurts you more than walking through smoke.

Which brings us down to the cusp of the argument. People get the mistaken idea that this will somehow save their lungs and health, when it won't. That means the issue of it is the smell, which some people don't like.

There is a thing call the middle ground. Sometimes two parties reach an agreement. Maybe only allow smokers to smoke outside, or in a farther area. Allow them to be back inside.

The entire argument that they can wait or smoke later is inane. One can make the argument that YOU can wait, or go outside if it bothers you. It is life I have to deal with things and people that bother me. I rather not take away someones right's because I don't like it.

Obviously there is a point. Crack Cocaine should be allowed in the Q, no matter how much you want it to be.

As for whining yea it is there. Complaining about having to go to the bathroom. Asking questions in high pitch voices. Throwing things, not picking up their litter, etc. Not as bad as crying babies in movie theaters, but still. In any case I deal with it.

Time for people to deal with people smoking instead of the attack on rights and the sheep that follow it.

27. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    How did the entire discussion about crack cocaine help your argument...

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I am going to start a campain to have alcohol removed from the stadium since it bothers me to see drunk people at the games.

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Ah... the slippery slope argument. Logical trope of the lazy and disenfranchised!

Damn you government! How come you've taken away our RIGHT to smoke in Qualcom Stadium?????? (The Spanos' are government employees and the Q is a public stadium right?)

30. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    When did this thread bcome a giant whizzing contest? :icon_shrug:

Mods? Can you change the thread title to somthing like "Competitive Leak Taking Here!"? :lol