1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So far, NFL remains idle as Raiders owner runs amok

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_8098935?nclick_check=1

So far, NFL remains idle as Raiders owner runs amok
    Contra Costa Times
    Article Launched: 01/28/2008 02:58:30 AM PST

THE CLEVER MAVERICK was charming and cunning, crafty at hiding his weaknesses but better at finding and exploiting yours. He was the kingpin of sports.

Al Davis disregarded all, taking what he desired, because nothing was more important than wielding power.

It's a gangster mentality.

But even the mightiest gangster can lose his way, and at age 78 Al is acting out like a shark lost in the desert. Disoriented, weakened, in dire need of rescue but summarily rejecting it while attacking without impunity.

Coming after the curious rehire of Tom Walsh, the blaming of Art Shell for not drafting Matt Leinart, the JaMarcus Russell contract fiasco, the bizarre Rob Ryan turnaround and the odd dispatching of the owner's son to investigate the possibility of a stadium at Camp Parks in Dublin, this preposterous game of chicken with coach Lane Kiffin is Al's latest and nuttiest turn.

How long will the NFL remain silent witness to such disorder and dysfunction from one of its members?

The league has stepped in to provide support or advice for owners, even going so far as to make specific requests. It has in recent years imposed on Mike Brown in Cincinnati and Bill Bidwell in Arizona. It is there now for Atlanta's Arthur Blank.

Given the state of the Raiders, the biggest national joke out of Oakland since Ebonics, it's time the league ponders its options.

Surely Al's transparent megalomania, which compels him to banish or punish all but the most shameless minions, has led to concerns in the league office about his capacity to properly and sanely run a franchise.

One NFL source, who has worked closely with the Raiders and other teams, implies the league might not be able to force its will on an organization but is savvy enough to find ways to address problem owners and franchises.

Which, he says, happened with the Cardinals. Bidwell, notoriously cheap, made little pretense of competing, staying well under the salary cap and pocketing the additional revenue.

This annoyed other owners, notably Dallas' Jerry Jones and New England's Bob Kraft. As they sweated to massage the cap and maintain quality teams, Bidwell sat on his butt and got an equal share of the revenue they produced.

Pressure to correct this imbalance resulted in a salary floor, requiring teams to spend a minimum percentage of the cap, as part of the new collective bargaining agreement.

Insofar as Bidwell's son, Michael, already had generated enough momentum to construct a new stadium -- which this week hosts the first of what shall be many Super Bowls in Arizona -- Bidwell was nudged into the 21st century.

The value of the product is raised. Everybody wins.

Why not, then, take a closer look at the Raiders?

Fans, by the thousands, are being turned off; the vast majority I know or hear from are fed up. They see a Kiffin being toyed with and the threat of Russell being ruined. Many promise not to spend another cent on their favorite team. At this rate, the Raiders are inviting blackouts of home games.

While some owners don't mind if Al torpedoes his chances to win, messing with the overall profits is another matter. And the Raiders are, as one source puts it, positioning themselves to get their general share, without directly contributing.

"It wouldn't be unfair," the source said, "for an owner to ask a simple question: 'Why are they entitled to run things so poorly and still get 1/32nd of the revenue?'"

But there's additional incentive for the league to act.

Team employees are growing increasingly stressed and demoralized. One ex-employee describes her departure two years ago as "an escape." Another says he remained for nearly a decade, leaving after the 2006 season, largely because he enjoyed the status of being associated with an NFL team.

"Things were not the same after (senior executive) Bruce Allen left," he says of the man who was the NFL's executive of the year in 2002 and left for Tampa Bay a year later. "It went downhill from there. It's terrible."

Raiders alumni, once among the proudest groups in the NFL, have become scarce. Much of this is fallout from Al dismissing Shell without the slightest sign of holding himself accountable. Some former Raiders feel alienated, while others simply don't want to watch Davis, someone they admire, destroy himself and his surroundings.

Al's become a gangster gone mad, blind to the purpose of winning, snapping at shadows.

Because it's Al and the Raiders -- and because it's Oakland -- many in the NFL office may cackle over the raging self-destruction within the franchise most describe as, um, unique.

But money is not to be messed with.

"Consider this," says a third former Raiders employee. "The league wants to put a team in L. A., but they wouldn't dare do it while Al is still running a franchise.

"So they might not do anything. They might just stand by, let it blow up and move in. That might give them an opening to take the team out."

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Damn, this is fun to watch! :icon_rofl:

3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I hate the stinkin Raiders so that little masterpeice made for some interesting :abq2:reading.

Thanks for posting that.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My wife and her side of the family, all Raider fans, are just disgusted with this guy now. Her dad is not renewing his season tix for many reasons, but this is one of the primary justifications he has for this decision. Along with Grandpa Jumpsuit's crazy coaching carousel decisions, my father in law also says the element at the games has changed significantly since they got rid of the PSL requirement for season ticket holders.

That team, that stadium, that fanbase... is circling the toilet.

I am especially happy for all of this because it means that my 10mo old son's fandom is securely in my hands for the next decade at least. I will get no arguments from momma or grandpa/grandma when I dress him in Charger gear from here on out. :lol:

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    May Al Davis live forever.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    All Chargers fans should fill out organ donation cards for Al Davis.

Whatever it takes to keep him alive.

The line forms here

X___________________________

7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Dude, stem cell research *man*.

Has there ever been a better candidate for the initial experimental trials? :abq2:

Maybe he can clone himself!

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    And you can bet the faiders will be looking at TV blackouts for years to come. :lol:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'll sign that, and yeah I'll even donate blood!
    Keep Al Davis running the raiders!!!

10. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    No ****, the Raiders need to just keep his brain in a jar and continue to carry out his orders.

PS. I just forwarded this article to my pissant Raider fan little brother and all of his Raider fan friends. I will be sure to convey their responses.

I guarantee there will be more than a few references to Marcus Allen and the year 1983.

:icon_rofl:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    As much as I enjoyed the whole Marcus Allen fiasco being traded to the Chiefs or given the boot or whatever, the brother got hosed and did not deserve that type of treatment (although I loved it).

That has to kick Raider fan balls to no end.

I thought it was bad when Dan Fouts and Coryell left but Marcus Allens case paled in comparison. :yes:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

There is a reason the phrase "Never say never" was invented.

I never in my wildest dreams would ever have thought I would say "I love Al Davis".

"I love Al Davis" :nana_love:

13. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Al WAS great for the AFL.... :icon_neutral:

14. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree, Al really treated Marcus like ****. He relegated Marcus to a change of pace back during his prime years; to this day I’ll never understand why Al had it out for him. Al should have traded the dude, instead he kept Marcus around as an underutilized role player until he hit free agency..

And I was always a Marcus Allen fan, he played the game right, always carried himself with class. It is probably very similar to the respect/admiration that LT has among Raider fans.

PS. When Marcus Allen went into the HOF, I had a field day ripping my brother when Marcus went in as a Chief.

:lol:

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I believe it's because Al Davis had thought that Marcus Allen "wussed out" (sound familiar?) in the 1989 season.

In 1989, Marcus Allen suffered a knee injury that kept him out for half the season. Al Davis thought it wasn't that bad of a knee injury and Allen could have come back after 4 games, but Allen stayed out 8 games.

Davis thought that Allen was letting the team down and shirking his responsibilities of his contract by sitting out all those games.

When Allen did come back, Al Davis figured "the guy wants to sit out, ok, then, he'll sit out", and instructed his coaches to use Allen as little as possible but still win the game. Especially use him sparingly enough to make sure that he didn't meet any of the performance incentives in his contract so that Allen only got his base salary from that point on.

Mike Shanahan was the HC at the time, and he refused to go along with Al Davis' demands. He said that such an idea was stupid and that Allen presented the Raiders the best chance at winning games. Al Davis fired Shanarat and put in a lackey of a HC in Art Shell who did what Davis wanted.

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    May Al Davis be the Fidel Castro of NFL owners. :lol:

17. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Wouldn't that be something if the Raiders really folded, or if the NFL forced them to move to LA and change their name or something?

The Chargers would always have the last laugh.

"At least we never sucked so much that our team fell apart!"

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Force them to move to L.A. ? That would be ironic since AL Davis was involved in a huge legal battle with the NFL for the right to move the team anywhere he felt.

Al Davis sued the NFL in the 1980s to be allowed to move to L.A. without requiring approval from the NFL or the other owners. It was a huge antitrust case. That case served as the precedent that allowed the Colts to leave Baltimore, the Rams to leave L.A., and the Raiders to return to Oakland, without the approval of the NFL or the owners.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Thanks TK ....

Over the years, the Bay Area media have been Al's biggest cheerleaders. Now they want to lead the parade to save themselves from Al? I find the whole thing amusing, and I'll bet that's the same attitude with the NFL.

The premise of this story seems to be that Al's antics are costing the NFL a boatload of cash. I doubt it. The Raiders still get on more than their fair share of prime time games. The idjuts still buy their jackets and jerseys. The only real money loss is butts in the seats, and that's probably the most insignificant amount for the rest of the NFL. The author makes no real case for any money issue that may concern the majority of owners, as to spur action on/against the Raiders franchise. Besides, would Al do what they want anyway? Or just sue the NFL for even suggesting something?

This isn't a case of the NFL needing to save themselves from Al. This is a case of the Bay Area media and Raiders fans looking for a handout from the NFL. "Fix it for us," they holler. This is high stakes panhandling by a fanbase and media that isn't buying seats, isn't paying for a new stadium, and is stuck with an aging owner/team/stadium. Too damn bad. Get that beggar out of my face.

:lol:

20. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

That's one way of looking at it that I hadn't even thought of (am I slipping? :icon_huh:). :tup:

It definitely has merit here in this region if you know what I mean- **** handouts are par for the course and some of my tax dollars already pay for that shithole of a stadium that Uncle Al ruined.

I expect to see something on the ballot soon asking to raise my property taxes to fund drunk Raiders fans ticket subsidization. :yes: :icon_evil:

Might be money well spent watching this meltdown..... :lol:

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

That's one way of looking at it that I hadn't even thought of (am I slipping? :icon_huh:). :tup:

It definitely has merit here in this region if you know what I mean- **** handouts are par for the course and some of my tax dollars already pay for that shithole of a stadium that Uncle Al ruined.

I expect to see something on the ballot soon asking to raise my property taxes to fund drunk Raiders fans ticket subsidization. :yes: :icon_evil:

Might be money well spent watching this meltdown..... :lol:

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You guys do realize Al has Charger roots

right???

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Al Davis needs to come home and die with the winners who are kicking his wrinkled *** right now. He was born a Charger and it is eating him alive.

Part of me says good.

No actually, all of me. :lol:

24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    His Charger roots died in 1963 the day he became majority partner of the Raiders.

Fuc him and his wrinkled, senile ***.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I can't get enough of watching the train wreck that is the Oakland Raiders. Not only am I slowing down as I pass the accident, I am pulling my car over to the side of the road and video taping it for memories sake.

Fuq Al, fuq that organization. There is nothing bad enough in the world that would ever make me feel sorry for that POS fanbase.

26. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    we should all donate a $1.00 to the keep al davis alive fund

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wait for the Raiduh draft with breathless anticipation. After that, I have visions of sugar plums dancing through my head as scenes of contract negotiations flit through my febrile mind. It's a good thing NFL draft rules require the drafting of only sapient life forms-or do they?