1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So How Do You Beat the Pats?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Alpenbolt, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am assuming we will play these guys again in the playoffs in NE.

Now that we know the poundng we took in week 2 was more than just us playing like crap, the question comes to mind how to stop these guys?

I think you got to do it the Belicheat way. Understand their weaknesses and try and exploit them. Granted they don't seem to have many but lets try anyways shall we?

Weakness #1 Old Linebackers

Starters are old
    Bruschi 12th season
    Thomas 8th season
    Vrabel 11th season
    Colven 9th season

Backups are even older
    Izzo 12th season
    Seau 18th season

You got to put bodies on these MFers and make them feel their age. You have to run the ball early. When you pass throw screens and crossing routes. Get the tight ends very active in the game and get these linebackers taking as many hits as possible. Get Brandon and Gatsie as active as possible. Lots of two tight end sets and single wideout sets. Contain their outside speed rush and pound the ball early even if it doesn't work. I would get The Burner involved earlier than usual to bruise these guys up a bit.

This strategy requires you to stop them on offense and keep it close early, no easy challenge.

Weakness #2 Randy Moss is a *****

He doesn't like to get hit. We know this from the Raider days. Moss is also in his 10th year. After looking at 6 games with the Pats I think the only way to beat them is to jam them at the line as much as possible. You have to take away the 3 step out patterns and force him and Welker towards the middle of the field.

Playing 10 steps off the line will get you nowhere against that team. Get physical and make sure the safeties get a pop in on every caught ball. Welker is a tiny guy. 5' 9" 185. If you are going to give Brady a quick read make sure it is to the inside. You will use more clock and inflict more pain.

For the Bolts I think we have to take out our run stoppers against the Pats. Dime packages the whole game. Weddle was our most effective pass rusher in the first game. No Igor, no Cooper and yes I will say it here, no Jamal. We need speed, speed and more speed when you play the Pats. You have keep Brady guessing and get him out of his rhythm. Gameplan is to hit the receivers on every play and you do that with safeties and corners.

Let them have the run up the middle. Again will use more clock and have the chance to keep the game close. Maroney may kill us still with 6 and 8 yard runs but the opportunities for game changing turnovers improves.

Bottomline, exploit their old guys as much as possible.

None of this probably works but I think the team that finally beats NE will have to use some unconventional methods. Except the Colts who can beat them on talent alone.

2. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    If Thomas is old at 8 years then LT at 7 years isn't too far behind. At this point, I don't think age matters. If we play the Patriots again in the playoffs, we'll have to beat them in a shoot out with the last team with the ball winning.

3. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I disagree. The Bolts played terribly in the first game giving the ball away three times early--that's how the Patriots were able to score as much as they did. But the Chargers still have a physical advantage at the point of attack, the same one they had last year.

The Bolt's front seven is physically superior to the Patriot blocking unit. The Bolt O-Line and running back have the advantage against that old Patriot front seven. The Chargers have the better talent, especially in the trenches--it's a matter of whether they can put it together.

Where the Pats are superior is at the quarterback position and wideouts. And boy did it show in Week 2. But the season is long, and the Chargers have improved vastly. Do you think the Patriots would beat them as bad this week as they did a month ago? I seriously doubt it.

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Dallas tried to man up up-front and got handled. They have a strong front seven like us and weak cover guys like us. So without changing the gameplan yes I think the results would again be similar.

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The Pats will have to prove that they can run the football. Come January in New England, don't expect Tom Brady to be throwing 5 TD's in that environment.

Teams that can get after the QB without over committing to the blitz, and also run the football well to keep that offense off the field are going to have a chance against them. Pittsbugh, Jacksonville, San Diego.... All will be a formidable task for New England come playoff time.

They aren't invincible.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If we would have had the pass rush n the Pats game we had in the last game things would have been a little different. I am not saying we would have won, but Brady does not like being hit and loses composure when hit repeatedly.

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I think that the Colts have a great shot, their defense is better this year, and their offense knows all of Bellichick's tricks. Manning utilizes long, time consuming drives to keep the Pats' defense on the field, and their offense on the bench. I think that the Patriots defense is vulnerable, and you're going to need to score early and often so that the Pansies can't get ahead early.

Defense is the tricky part, because the Patriots will get their share of points. I think that their offense compares to the run and shoot. The key is limiting the big plays, and make them earn every yard. Hit their receivers hard after the catch, take away the sideline, and slam them when they come over the middle. Come out in your Nickel and Dime package expecting the pass. The Patriots rarely run any more, and when they do, you have to give them those yards on the ground in order to limit the big passes downfield.

I would not blitz right now, because the Patriots have too many weapons to spread the field with, and since Brady is in shotgun so much now, you wouldn't be able to get to him fast enough. Therefore, you have to be able to provide pressure with the front four. Take any opportunity you have to hit Brady.

The only problem is that the Patriots don't have a problem moving slowly down the field with five yard pass plays. But I think that that's better than letting them score on monster pass plays. Prolong the game, and give your defense an opportunity to make a play or two. If your offense can keep you in the game early, you definitely have a shot.

Come January, anything can happen. The Patriots will have a hard time going five wide in the slop and snow in Foxboro, and teams will be able to stay in their base defense to stop the run that the Patriots will have to utilize.

8. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Agree completely. Their current offensive output is for warm weathered teams. I guess we all have the "Ice Bowl" (Chargers @ Bengals) in 1980 to keep our hopes up. We've proven we can run the game. It'll be interesting to see that offense in the rain/snow.

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The Pats are 7th in the league in rushing with 141 YPG. 20 more than the Bolts. To say they rarely run isn't quite accurate. But most of it is in garbage time.

10. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    They have a strong front seven--but not like us. Ware isn't Merriman, and Phillips is almost as good. I'm telling you, the nature of that manhandling in Foxboro had more to do with a Charger team in disarray than a Patriot team that's historically dominant.

The Bolts still have the same match up advantages in the trenches that they did last year--and that's what gave them the edge in last year's playoff game. The Pats are much improved with their skill guys, and so efficient right now that they definitely have the edge on the Chargers (as of today).

But 38-14 again? Nah, buddy, that game is an aberration.

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    My only hope is that we get another crack at them.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    With such a strategy 34-14 maybe. Pats passing game is clicking much much better than last year and that is a big difference to the playoff game. If you try and play the next game using last years strategy, essentially what we did in the first game, you will lose again. Like the guy said up above, treat it as a run and shoot. I think it is yuor best shot.

I love dominating people at the line of scrimmage but I don't think it buys you much against the Pats. You need speed and brains to beat them now, not braun.

13. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Game 2 of this season was not the Chargers playing Charger football. Charger defense is what the Bolts used to stymie the Pats and Colts in the past--and in that the pass rush is essential.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    To answer the question... 'with great difficulty'.

The Chargers will have to play their absolute best game to beat the Pats at full health/speed. I still believe u have be v v physical with their receivers. We all know Randy can be a bit soft, oh how I'd love to see Jammer lay the wood early. Those arms will shorten no doubt. I believe their running game can be stopped relatively easily, stopping Brady is another matter. He seems ultra confident right now and seems to be seeing v little pressure. Armchair ride for him = we get murdered.

As someone else said above, I hope we get to see them again this season, that would mean we might be in the AFC Championship game. Hopefully it will not be another bridge too far. :tup:

15. dmercado70

dmercado70 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    my thoughts are that the Patsies are not going to like having to play us again .. just keep hammering away and eventualy we will have our double edge sword for this next game we play each other !!!

:bolt::tup::bolt:

===================================================
    the earth will quake as the heavens rreign above the charger blue skies !!!

16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    It's a young season, and the old legs in the middle of the Patriot defense are still fresh. That is their biggest vulnerability come playoff time, and one that Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates have to exploit.

We have to establish the run first. Power, power, power. Hit them hard up front from the I formation, Neal in front, with Manu in to block. Run the Elephant line a couple of times. Never let up. Pound those linebackers all game and wear them out. Second-and-mid or second-and-short is the goal.

If Denver doubled Gates with Champ Bailey +1 and still couldn't cover him, nobody can. Along with VJ, I start Malcolm Floyd, who has some of the best hands among the recieving corps. Run motion. Run screens, reverses, make those old legs run.

Above all, the thing to avoid is a shootout. You want Martyball. You want our defense fresh in the 4th quarter and theirs worn out, because that's where the game is won when you play the Pats. Long, clock killer drives. 11 yard first downs. High percentage passes and power runs. Keep the Pats O off the field and they cannot score. The Chargers are built to do that and have done it.

When the Pats are on offense, you want to make those wide recievers pay in snot whenever they touch a football. Slam them HARD off the line, then knock their heads off if the ball is caught. Stand em up straight and knock them down. Blindside them. Alpen is right, Moss is a pansy - he'll get alligator arms after a couple of hard hits. Welker and Stallworth are smaller guys - they have to pay for even thinking of going across the middle.

It will be a challenge, no doubt... but it is very doable.

17. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    You're right. Those are the same players from last year's playoff game. They got us when we were off and transitioning to a new coaching staff, but they remember the pounding they got last year and you can rest assured they're watching us out of the corner of their eyes--we're the last team they want to see in the playoffs.

Still, as of now they are clearly the superior team...in twelve weeks it will be a much different matter if the Bolts keep gelling like they have.

18. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Here's one guy who thinks they need to get their running game going.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21298740/

By Rich Cimini
    MSNBC contributor
    Updated: 8:26 p.m. PT Oct 14, 2007
    One of the worst-kept inside jokes around the NFL is Tom Brady’s weekly appearance on the Patriots’ injury report. For what seems like forever, he has appeared on the report with a mysterious shoulder ailment, which has caused many eyes to roll.

The way things are going this season for the Patriots, they might have to tweak the ‘ol injury report. Don’t be surprised if you check your local newspaper’s agate page one day soon and see something like this:

QB Tom Brady, right-arm fatigue, probable.

Brady is throwing like a one-armed bandit, leading one of the most prolific passing attacks in NFL history. The Patriots are 6-0, and Brady already has attempted 204 passes, including an NFL-best 21 touchdown passes. In Sunday’s 48-27 victory over the previously undefeated Cowboys, Tom Terrific became the first quarterback in history to throw at least three scores in each of his first six games.

He’s scary good, but it raises a question: Can the Patriots continue to blow away the competition with such a one-dimensional offense?

History says no. Sooner or later, it has to bite them, right? Every football tenet indicates that a team requires some semblance of balance to win a championship. I mean, you can expect to do the same thing over and over, and get away with it.

Remember Air Coryell? In 1980 and 1981, Dan Fouts passed for 4,715 and 4,802 yards, respectively, but those high-flying Chargers teams never made the Super Bowl.

Remember Dan Marino’s heyday? He was a passing machine for the Dolphins in the mid-1980s, throwing for 48 touchdowns in 1984, but what did it get him? He got rich, even got a street named after him in Miami, but he has as many Super Bowl rings as me.

Yes, the old 49ers, from the Bill Walsh and Joe Montana vintage, were a pass-first team. But they had a fellow by the name of Roger Craig in the backfield to keep defenses somewhat honest.

You can’t be a one-trick pony in the NFL. Yes, Brady is having one of those amazing years — he’s on a 4,700-yard, 56-touchdown pace — but it’ll come crashing down eventually. And by that, I don’t mean a prolonged losing streak. But they won’t go undefeated, write that down.

Obviously, coach Bill Belichick doesn’t want to play this way. If he had his druthers, he’d love to run it 40 times a game and ram it down the opponents’ throat (like early in the season when running backs Sammy Morris and Laurence Maroney were 100% healthy). But what makes him such a good coach is his ability to adapt to his personnel.

With Morris and Maroney banged up, the strength of the Patriots rests on Brady (duh!) and the rebuilt receiving corps. So he’s going to let ‘er rip, especially if the matchups dictate an emphasis on the passing attack. And that certainly was the case against the Cowboys.

Facing a thin and banged up secondary, the Patriots used spread formations throughout the game, creating favorable matchups all day. The Cowboys simply didn’t have enough defensive backs to cover the Patriots’ posse of receivers.

You want to double Randy Moss (six catches for 59 yards and a TD)?

Fine, no problem. They’ll throw to Dante Stallworth (seven catches for 136 yards and a TD).

You want to double Stallworth? Go right ahead. They’ll throw to the slot receiver, Wes Welker (11 catches for 124 yards and two TDs).

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    only way is to play physical coverage and hit brady FAST, can't give him more then four seconds TOPS

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Step 1 .. Acquire a #1 WR .. Oh wait, we did that today .. :icon_tease:

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Good analysis guys. I think you start by acquiring a great WR like a Chris Chambers from Miami. Oh, we just did that! Whoopie!!! :icon_banana:

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Adding a big play receiver definitely helps. Especially one who doesn't take much shiat from the Pats. The dude has got attitude.

23. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    1.the pats have the advantage of not letting teams establish the run
    2.they have scored on each of their first drives which forces the opposition to score and keep up usually thru the passing game.

the pats are tough this year. real tough. maybe Pitt can beat them.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You hit Brady. Hit him hard, hit him often.

Bad weather helps.

25. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    You Light Them on Fire

[​IMG]
    With a Lightning Bolt !!!

We will beat them in the playoffs !!!