1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So how many losses will it take for Dean to fire the organizational cancer AJ Smith?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IMissMarty, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    His first dubious draft was 2006, the offseason prior to the Norv hire. Please educate yourself in order to be better able to follow the passage of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    LOL
    Hey Reef, I have never had a problem with anything you have posted (that I recall) so let me say this respectfully. Your theory about angst over AJ, his piss, or his hawiian shirts, and how people respons and why are just silly.

yes in the past, people who like to be larger than life behind the screen, and some who like to be larger than life in a crowd (Trumpy, lookin at you) boasted that AJ piss could cure cancer. If you took that seriously that is on you. You have been around the forums long enough to know how fickle football fans are.

The angst that IMM brings on itself is because of the the lack of intelligence in it's post, the lack of thought in it's arguments, and the ability to avoid reason at all cost. If you ever want a definition of internet troll, IMM is it.

There are many who dont like AJ (raising my hand) but realize a few facts.... 1) I have no say in his being here or not. 2) He has done a lot of good for the team. 3) He is not perfect. I hate his my way or the highway attitude, but realize he deosnt have to be warm and fluffy. That is what the Chargers have Bill Johnson for.

So next time, why dont you stop to think about what you are saying before you suggest everyone 'go and get your catheters and suck away' because frankly you are better than a crappy comment like that.

Just because someone does not spend their day making poison pen posts about Norv and AJ does not make them pro Norv or AJ. I am pretty sure you realize that as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Just because someone swins in the sewers doesnt me you have to dive in too....

#justsayin

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You missed the difference. I told him to learn to tell time, as his argument was flawed as a result of a chronological error. You told someone that they weren't a fan, because you disagreed with their stance. You see the difference there?

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    No I dont. I spoke my opinion and you are treating it like it is law. Do you see the difference between opinion and law?

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I never said it was the "law", I said that what you were doing was in poor taste, and reflected poorly on yourself.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    The problem is, generally speaking, if your team is in position to draft really high you have so many problems to fix to put yourself in that Super Bowl position that you're not going to fix it with one or two drafts. (Unless maybe your main problem is a good QB, but that's hardly our issue).

Hoping for the team to lose a lot is basically hoping for everyone to suck and leave us no real hope for one draft to put us back in line for contention.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    You are welcome to your opinion.

When someone would rather see the team fail so they can meet their personal agenda I do not see them as a fan. You may agree to disagree if you wish.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I just find it poor taste to wish for defeat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Rather than wish for success and maybe have to rethink your position? Yeah, it shows one's cahracter IMHO.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    To play Devil's Advocate for Ikeman, he said he wants them to win the Superbowl and wanting them to lose is the 2nd thing he'd want if that doesn't happen.

I still don't agree with that viewpoint, but it's not quite the same as wanting them to lose to justify an opinion.

Meanwhile, IMissMarty said he doesn't want them to lose. Although I will concede that he gives the impression that he wants them to (and even said as much in my initial reply), but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the case.

12. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    This thread just keeps on giving just like the jelly club!

Thanks Eddie! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I simply don't buy into the premise that drafting in the middle of the pack due to a mediocre record is dooming you to more mediocrity. Successful & unsuccessful players have come throughout the range of picks. It's AT LEAST as important to look for players who fit the team's philosophy/playbook & go about successfully molding them into a good fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    JELLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    No one good ever comes after the 5th pick of the draft! Dont you know that!

Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, etc were all # 1 picks!

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    We're in full agreement.

The only thing I was saying is there's a difference between Ikeman's viewpoint (that I completely disagree with) and one that suggests he wants us to lose to justify an opinion.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Agreed. He did place his first preference as winning it all. Barring that outcome, I still can't hope for a horrendous outcome as some sort of tactical advantage. If that means a draft pick in the middle of the pack, so be it. Better make certain that your scouts, etc. are doing their homework.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Also, JaMarcus Russel was a middle round pick. We don't want to pick there.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I disagree with your first paragraph. Look at the Lions for example. They drafted 13th overall before the 2011 season, 2nd overall before the 2010 season, 1st overall before the 2009 season, and 2nd overall before the 2008 season. That team is now absolutely loaded with playmakers on both sides of the ball, and has gone from an 0-16 season to making the playoffs in the ultra-competitive NFC. Does their team still have a lot of issues? Absolutely, but they've also got the core of their offense and defense not only locked up but still youthful.

The problem with finishing in the middle is that it puts additional strain on your team's ability to acquire FAs. No one was taking a discount to come play football in San Diego this year, and we lost our best FA to a team playing from the bottom of a much tougher division. The other issue is that if you do really well in the wins/losses column, but fail to win the Superbowl, your depth players get large FA contracts with other teams, putting you in the lurch at all levels. The cheapest, long-term solution to adding young talent to your roster is by drafting quality players. Having a higher (i.e. top 10) draft position raises the quality of the potential of your draft. For example, the Rams' 2nd round pick was effectively the same this year as the Giants', and with the rookie salary cap, teams selecting high in the draft are no longer crucified to their selections if the selection washes out of the league.

21. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +520
    Last season, before the last game against Oakland, I was thinking "ok, if the Chargers lose at least that will mean the end of Norv, and they'll have a better draft pick" but once the game started as usual I was rooting hard for the Chargers, could never root against them no matter what.

Anybody else felt that way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I was happy they had won right up until I saw how many draft spots it cost us.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nope - I never root against the Chargers, Period. I don't look at winning/losing as a strategy to build a successful roster. The job of building that roster is in the hands of some highly paid individuals. I doubt that they see the win/loss record as a tool for that process either. If they do, I'd like to see them replaced yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +520
    you did read where I said "at least"? as in trying to find a positive in a negative situation, I wasn't rooting (nor have I ever rooted) against them (I believe I said that too)

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I did notice. Just stating that I never felt that way for any reason.

Especially against the Raiders. :raiderssuck:

26. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +520
    If it was guaranteed that had the Chargers lost that game Norv would have been fired, then, maybe, I could have, kind...nah, never :D

• Like Like x 1
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    So research isn't your strong point?

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not sure where this came from, but it's hilarious.

29. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The drafts didn't truly begin sucking until Norv got here. Marty made a career out of taking average players and getting them to play over their heads. Norv, on the other hand, needs a team full of Pro Bowlers and a bad division in order to succeed. Hence missing the playoffs the last 2 years.

Sorry I hurt your delicate feelings by pointing out that AJ's drafts have sucked since he made the stupid mistake of hiring Norv.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Actually, I was thinking, "I hope we win this game, because Norv is going to be fired regardless, and it would be nice to end the season by knocking the Raiders out of the playoffs."

I never thought AJ and Dean would bring Norv back after missing the playoffs again. I underestimated how big of a cancer AJ is.