1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

So how many losses will it take for Dean to fire the organizational cancer AJ Smith?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IMissMarty, Sep 2, 2012.

1. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Norv will not get fired. I do not think Dean wants to go through another change.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I agree. Dean is a coward and doesn't want to do anything to upset AJ Smith, and AJ is too much of a cancer to do what's right for the team and admit he made a mistake in hiring Norv.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Your inability to recognize that 2006-2009 was a dry spell for the team in the draft, one year of which was during the tenure of our previous HC, in no way hurts my feelings, which, incidentally, are not particularly delicate.

5. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The '06 draft wasn't as stellar as the '04 and '05 drafts, but it did produce Marcus McNeill, who played magnificently as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl that year.

The drafts since Norv have come over have truly sucked. Your inability to recognize that, while indeed amusing, doesn't hurt my feelings either.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Also with AJ chasing off Buddy Nix didn't help with AJs reputation.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +496
    I disagree, if they don't make the playoffs this season (barring something exceptional like Rivers getting injured or a 10-6 season but losing out on the last playoff spot) Norv will be gone, AJ would stay.

But we were talking about last season's final game

9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Conc, the people who posted the pics of the catheters know who they are. It wasnt a comment to everyone, obviously. If someone is offended, that is their own fault. Just as everyone here seemingly has the right to bash on a poster, I have the right to bash on the GM. If you dont like that, then that doesnt sound like unbiased, fair moderating to me. Has AJ really done a lot of good for this team?? No casual NFL fan remembers anything about the Chargers under AJs tenure other than LT. And now, it looks like most Chargers fans dont even like LT anymore. Im just balancing things out. Take care, all the best.

10. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    And LT wasn't even drafted by AJ.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    When has anyone ever accused me of being fair or non-biased?

That said did I once tell you to stop bashing AJ? I think the answer would be no.
    I was only highlighting a possible other view.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Couldn't agree more. Maybe we should start a petition to have both AJ and Norv fired before Monday since its clear to anyone with half a brain that 2012 is already a failure. In fact, in my 32 years as a Chargers fan I have never experienced a worse game than the Niners game. Too bad flogging is now illegal.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    The drafts didn't truly begin sucking until Norv got here. Marty made a career out of taking average players and getting them to play over their heads. Norv, on the other hand, needs a team full of Pro Bowlers and a bad division in order to succeed. Hence missing the playoffs the last 2 years. From your post #149

The teams Norv coached prior to being hired by the Bolt's still don't have winning records and your boy coached in Washington after Norv and didn't fare much better. In two different post's you reiterate that the drafts sucked big time since Norv took over and no mention of the decline of players that were already in place. Foley getting gunned down, Merriman going Holloywood and the never ending injuries that this team seems to absorb. still through all of this Norv has a winning record?? I'm no fan of AJ's but one thing I do like is the fact he has brought direction to this team in terms of they won't be held hostage by players and their agents. Under the extreme circumstances of the last two years Norv coached a team to mediocrity that had no business even doing that well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I think Dean showed his true colors last season and that is that he isn't necessarily a coward but rather he is cheap. I think he didn't fire AJ and Norv last season because he wanted to save the money. He might try and regain some favor with the fan base this season - if the Chargers are stinking it up prior to the bye - and fire Turner on the bye week ... Under AJ and Turner, the Chargers have made it somewhat of a tradition to fire or release someone during the bye week as the "cure" for their poor performance up to that point.

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Add comprehension to that list too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I wouldn't say Dean is cheap. I would say he was bitten twice with Bobby Ross and Marty and he is scared he would be making a mistake if he fired Norv. The problem with Dean is he is now in denial as AJ probably showed him stats as to why they need to keep Norv.

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    No, in this race you have to be in early for maximum "I TOLD YOU SO" points. It also doesn't hurt if you say the same sh*t over and over, introducing it into every thread you can.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +911
    Marty had a team as good as it was before Norv was hired, and he sh*t the bed. As much as some of you hate Norv, can we stop pretending Marty was awesome? How many people were screaming for his head before he engineered his own firing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +911
    Marty HAD THE TEAM that had three straight winning seasons and couldn't do dick in the playoffs against teams we should have beaten. Stop with the revisionist history please.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good point. Let's get a referendum going to legalize flogging in San Diego County. Can it be public? We're going to need something to do on Sundays since games won't be worth watching.

21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Nix's dealings in Buffalo haven't helped Nix's reputation...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,375
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    I'll bet IMM replies with "But...but...but...AJ didn't get Marty the players to WIN in the playoffs".

23. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    So that '06 pats playoff loss was MARTY'S fault?? Any of you actually watch that game??

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I'll never for the life of me understand the Anti-Norv war cry that suggests that he deserves little to no credit for his Ws just because the team was good the years prior, as if any clown can take over and win on the laurels of the previous years' victories.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It was about as much Marty's fault as the 2009 loss was Norval's

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    You haven't been paying attention to IMM.

Apparently, Marty assembled that team even though he wasn't the GM. Meanwhile, Norv was just blindly handed the talent that was so great I could have coached them to a 13-3 season in 2009.

27. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Explanation? Reasoning? Or does 'about' have a completely different meaning here?

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,697
    If we're holding Norv and Marty to the same set of rules and standards, then yes. It was Marty's fault.

Marty's play calling and game management in playoff situations is historically tentative/cowardly and all around ****-tastic. This game is no exception. We could just as easily blame Cam, and I do, but since Norv is always responsible for his coaches decisions then so should Marty.

A good coach would have his players ready to win. They would be disciplined. McCree would have dropped to the ground instead of trying to be a hero if Cowher was his coach. <<<< this kind of reasoning is used to blame Norv for player performance all the time. I think it only fair we shine the same light on Marty.

There's more to compare but it's time for work... ugh. At least it's Friday :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Well, the only way you can argue the 2006 playoff loss was mostly Marty's fault is if you want to use the "the team looked ill prepared and that's the coach's job" argument.

That's pretty much the same for the 2009 loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1