1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So I was thinking about FA.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Jan 3, 2015.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    And I was just pondering on players I wouldn't mind signing .

1.ndamakung suh, people often say he plays dirty and could be a cancer. But playing with a ferocious attitude could boost our defense. I wouldn't mind giving him a 4year 48 mill contract.

2.torrey smith wr, he's explosive, basically a Sammy Watkins just not as much of a playmaker, Malcolm isn't getting any younger, he'd be a bargain at 4yr/18-20mill

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Torrey only got a few years younger than M80.

I like Ingram

3. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I'd love Suh but he turned down 5/85 and it wasn't a mistake. Watt's deal had about $51 million guaranteed and Suh can expect to be in that neighborhood.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Yes an no.

Watt doesn't have the issues Suh has on the field. Neither have off the field issues, however, your talking about JJ Watt here. He is in contention with Aaron Rodgers for league MVP. A DE is challenging a QB for MVP, that is unreal.

I don't think it will be far off from Watt's deal, and very similar to Gerald McCoy's 6Y/$95m deal. Suh could lose about $10-15m because of his history, I think teams will be very timid to commit to him for the long term.

However, I would love him on this DL with Liuget, they would be absolute monsters together. The guy has no track record of off the field issues, it's just on the field with him. Part of me thinks the Raiders will make a run at him, and I'd really hate to face Suh 2 times a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    As a true free agent Suh will have significantly more leverage than Watt or McCoy. Watt's leverage in particular was killed by the existence of the fifth year option.

6. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    What gas would y'all wanna see

7. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I would like to see .99$ again how about you?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I feel like we just need a few impact players for this team to take another step forward, so I'd love to spend on guys in the premium class, but I don't know if we have the money for that nor does it seem to be Telesco's style, so I'd expect just a handful of solid, regular unleaded, additions. I'd be pretty stoked on just one guy from the Plus category, like Bulaga or Hudson.

9. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Since we're living in pure fantasy here....

Larry Fitzgerald would be my first target. Think his acquisition will give Rivers a bit of a pick up too and convince him to continue playing further.
    Ndamakung Suh
    Maybe Adrian Peterson as well.

but I've probably blown the salary cap, and then some.

First 2 picks in the draft are for O-linemen.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MetalZelda32

MetalZelda32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I really hope we pick up an established lineman (bulaga) instead of, or coinciding with, drafting a lineman. We need a solid one next year; we can't afford to bring in all rookies and give them years to become solid.

11. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I'd target Bulaga as my main guy.
    Depending on if I send Donald Brown out the door and get rid of Mathews, I'd also be looking at Ridley on a cheap contract.
    Orakpo may be too expensive for us. But since Freeny and JJ could both be gone, I'd love to get him on a similar deal we got Flowers on. A one year prove it deal. He could take that veteran leadership role we can also use him as a DE.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Randall Cobb

13. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I would still love to get legarrette Blount! He is such a hammer
    [​IMG]

14. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    So looking at all free agents this is who I'd want in order of importance
    Bryan bulga
    Suh
    Torrey smith
    Randall Cobb
    Nick fairly
    Bj raji.

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    JUSTIN HOUSTON!

He is the man and reason we are OUT of the Playoffs. Sign him and sign a few OL FA and DRAFT BEEF.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He will be massively expensive.

Although I can tell you for a fact that as of today (without any extensions from Rivers, Weddle, Dunlap etc...) the Chargers are set to have over $100M in open cap space in 2016. So really we could have just about any player we want depending on contract structure.

17. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    KC will just Franchise Tag him rather than losing him, let alone to a Divi foe. There will be better value out there to pair up with Liuget as a starter and keeping Reyes as a backup!

18. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    And I think we need to go all in. Rivers only has about 3 years left in him and he is one of the few 'elite' QBs. The next starting QB for San Diego is probably just leaving high school now.

19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    That is probably what they could do but I think they need to spend that money on WR and OLINE and let Houston walk. Especially if the price handicaps them. It'll be hard to get him though as teams like Washington and Oakland are loaded with cap room.

20. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    KC is really tight against the cap so they may not be able to keep both Houston and Hudson. Finding the money for a straight up franchise tag on Houston is going to be tough.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    No he's not. Not even close. Almost completely different kind of receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    We need a WR that can get YAC. We have a bunch of possession receivers on this team. Royal isn't even the YAC guy he used to be coming out of college.

If JJ and Freeney retire, I'd take a hard look at Ahmad Brooks. Most likely set to be released by the 49ers, however, he can set the edge and rushes the passer well. Can also drop in coverage, although not great, could certainly do so.

I don't know if Larry Fitzgerald is what we need. Again, need a YAC monster on this team.

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I agree. To be honest, we shouldn't be looking at any receiver from here on out as long as McCoy is here with his preferred scheme - even if we lose KA (which isn't likely to happen, but this is just to drive home my point). The WR's that get you consistent YAC are the ones that should be coveted the most, and usually are... which is why teams very rarely let them go except for the most extreme of circumstances.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    If we are looking in the draft, a lot of these guys that are YAC monsters are mediocre at best route runners. Relying too much on their athleticism to get them production in college and that is not going to work in the NFL or even in this scheme.

I mean Randall Cobb is a guy I throw the kitchen sink at. Wins inside and outside, can move him around anywhere, incredible athlete and very good route runner and hands catcher. Takes a 2 yard slant and turns it into a 10+ yard gain. However, Packers most likely will lock him up.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    And that's why you have to look deeper in their route running - it's not whether they're crisp on it now, it's whether they've demonstrated the capacity (do the sink deep in their cuts, for example). Odell Beckham's don't grow on trees. YAC guys also don't have to be great route-runners (but usually they have to have physical traits to get separation consistently elsewhere) in order to succeed. Bit of a poor example because he was a Top 10 selection, but Julio Jones is no great route runner, but he's a monster in YAC. One of the best YAC guys in the league is Demaryius Thomas who came out of Georgia Tech running all of 3 routes regularly, but now runs a full tree and not all of them perfectly crisp but well enough to pair with his ability to gain separation via other things beyond just straight release off the line.

Tyler Lockett, all-be-he someone who I feel has a bit of a limited ceiling, is a very good YAC guy. Same can be said about Rashad Greene. Agholor needs a bit more refinement, but the vision and physical capabilities are there. There's a lot of potential in Ty Montgomery as he definitely has the right mentality. Dres Anderson needs to fill his frame out more - largely for his own protection - but he's got good YAC ability (and runs a more complex route tree than the slants and go-routes that Utah was primarily sending him on). And then there's Justin Hardy - I'm not as big a fan of his as some others are, but he has very workable traits.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Yes, very true. Victor Cruz is another example.

Speaking of which, visited some Packers pages, and it looks as if Randall Cobb could get a Victor Cruz contract. I'd give him 5 years $43m all day. They compared his snaps and catch percentages in the slot to Victor Cruz and it was very, very similar.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    General expectation I've heard is that unless he gives a hometown discount, Cobb will get more money than Jordy did (largely a matter of timing, who has leverage, and Jordy perhaps being the bigger "team player" which is more a boon on Jordy than a knock on Cobb). So the expectation is that he'll be close to $10m AAV with at least 25% of total value guaranteed. It boils down similar to the whole Suh/Watt contract comparison. Suh's going to likely get a similar or even better total contract value than Watt got (market trends pretty much dictate that - even with his character concerns), but the guaranteed sum isn't going to rival JJ's and that's really the most important figure, everything else is just agent's posturing and ego-stroking so that a guy can say (albeit likely only briefly) "I'm the highest paid defender or player at my position in the league."

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Cobb will only be 24 getting a new contract while Nelson got an extension at 29. I think age and years will make the difference in Cobb's corner.

29. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I actually expect Suh to top Watt's guarantee but Gerald McCoy effectively matched it so that's not saying much. (EDIT: McCoy's guarantee is a little more faux than Watt's so that comparison isn't totally fair but I still expect Suh to comfortably beat $51 million guaranteed).
    Otherwise I agree NFL contract numbers as reported by the media tend to be pretty useless. Some enterprising owner should offer a seventh round pick a billion dollar contract just to laugh at the system.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  30. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    ^^^ One billion dollars?
    You do realize that it's 1969 and that amount of money doesn't even exist yet, right? Dr_Evil.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1