1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So Now What?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Five weeks ago the Chargers were 4-1. Yes there were many imperfections in how they got there, but we rolled with it.

Now they are 4-5, and worst of all it just doesn't seem to me like they are showing much of a pulse. I don't know whether it was the meltdown in NY or the Monday night disaster in KC, but it seems like the Chargers just took a haymaker and are on the ground trying to picking up their teeth.

With remaining games (not in order) against the Bears, Ravens, Lions, Broncos, Raiders, Bills and Jags, things look pretty grim, especially with us being on the wrong end of tiebreakers with pretty much anyone who matters in the AFC.

Many will say that with this play or that play going differently we're 6-3 or so, and they would be right. You are what your record says you are.

This is getting ugly, quick. I have to honestly ask if the Chargers are on the verge of a full-scale meltdown?

Might it finally be time this offseason to pull out the detonators, blow the place up and start over?

2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    If we need major changes that tells me that management did not do their job. I think we need some major changes but it must start with the Head Coach and the GM. Then get the beef on both sides of the line. Once that is done, work with PR who has the potential for being one of the greats. PR has no chance with our mediocre cast of characters (including GM and HC)

• Like Like x 3
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +376
    Even if we do all that and get good GM/Coach. How can we turn that into a SB next season? I'd love all those changes to happen but lets be serious here it'll take a good 2 years(if everything occurs correctly meaning a new Good coach and new Good GM) before we are a Super Bowl contending team. When have the chargers ever gone from worst to good that fast? I'm expecting(obviously not hoping) the next 3-4 years to be contending for Playoffs after that we may have a good shot at the SB. Though this is all speculation they can win it all this year for crying out loud.

4. CJSweeps

CJSweeps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    You could not be any more correct. Start with the GM...Like yesterday...Let him build the coaching staff.

5. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Right now this team needs a personality transplant. How it gets done -- by changing management/coaching, personnel and/or philosophy -- is somewhat secondary at this point.

They got punched in the mouth by the Raiders and did not match the physicality on either side of the ball. There is no mean streak, no killer instinct. That will only breed more discontent.

Next up is the Bears, in Chicago. That's not going to be a picnic either, weather or no. The Chargers will get punched in the mouth again, and they'd better damn will get up and start punching back if they want to be playing after January 1.

6. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    It will take more than two years for us to reach the Superbowl. We have fallen too far behind the field. This game has not changed that much over the years, you must win in the trenches. We are weak on both the D and O lines. We must rebuild. We have some very talented position players, we must fix the core for them to prosper.

7. CJSweeps

CJSweeps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Norv doesn't have that streak in him, like i said in the other forum, he coached this team flaccid. We need a little blue pill, 10 mg. of not Norv.

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Wimbley and Hali did damage to the O-Line.. what do you possibly think Peppers will do? He'll have a field day.. make sure you go out and get Chicago's D for next week on your fantasy football team lol.. its gonna get ugly

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +376
    No, it would take two years if we could get a good draft and good coaching the next two years. I'm not expecting any of that too happen until 2014(AJ's contract ends then I think).

10. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    2014 is sooooo long away....we (I) can't wait that long....damn!

11. CJSweeps

CJSweeps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    We need o-line help soon, or we are going to have to posthumously retire 17, and draft Kellen Moore.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  13. SD Superchargerz

SD Superchargerz His smokeness

Ratings:
    +2
    So Now What?

look foward to next year?

[​IMG]

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    10-6 wins the west. Does not go far in the Playoffs.

15. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    The problem being, if they play the rest of the games like they did last night, 6-10 will be the more likely outcome. I do think that AJ and Norv need to move on.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sure you can say that. But what game have they been out of this season? 1 TD in the games and we could be 9-0.

Fact is the team kept battling last night even with their OL in shambles.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We can't. This season is a lost cause. AJ and Norv must be fired at the end of the season so the next coach and GM have a full off season to try and resolve our issues

18. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +347
    We will be in it all year, and potentially win the division, only because we are in the AFC west. This will give the Buffoon Spanos family reason to keep things status quo.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Unfortunately, I think you are probably right

20. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    I figured someone was going to trot out the "If" scenarios, and sure enough here it is.

You are absolutely right that we have been in every game this season, but simply being in the game is not good enough. Look at a team like Carolina, who has also been in every game this season but is 2-6. There is a fine line between winning and losing in this league as we all know.

1 TD in each of the close ones puts at 8-1 if we simply add 7 points (NE was a 14 point loss); but I will counter that with the fact that 7 the other way using this approach leaves us at 1-8 or 2-7 (MIN was a 7-point win, KC by 3 and DEN by 5). Of course, we also can't say how those extra points in either direction would influence playcalling, game planning or anything else.

21. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    The way things are going the division will have to be handed to us, we sure as hell don't seem up to going out and taking it right now. Even if we do make the playoffs, I simply do not see us beating anyone.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes it is not good enough. But it also means they can turn it around. If you choose to 'predict' to the opposite extreme, you go, but my crystal ball is as good as yours at this very moment.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Difference is, the crystal ball that sees this team playing the same as they have the 1st 9 games is more likely to be true than the one that sees them turning it around, and if they continue to play the same way they have in the 1st 9 games, they will be lucky to finish over .500

24. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    If we have learned anything at all over the years following this team -- especially in recent history -- the minute we think the Chargers are either a juggernaut (2006, 2009) or dead in the water (2008) something bizarre happens. That's part of what drives us nuts as Bolt fans year in and year out ;)

You are absolutely right that being in games means this can be turned around, but with a lot of tough games left there is now little margin for error, and that turnaround better happen quick.

Not being negative, just stating fact.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Really? Really? Well hell why play any more games? You got it figured out, lets get ready for the draft.

See I thought that the teams lined up and played to see what breaks they got, what they can and cant do. But since every game is the same to you....

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup. They might not turn it around. But I am not quitting.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We will play the games to see who will be here next year and who won't, but this team will not make the playoffs. We don't have the talent, the heart, the toughness, the depth, or the coaching

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I choose to disagree with your prognostication. Lets see who is correct.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope it is you, i fear it is me

• Like Like x 2
  30. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Some of the scores have flattered this team imo, certainly the last two games which haven't really been that close.