1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So what does it take to get over the hump in 07?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Jan 17, 2007.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    What is it going to take to get us over the hump and win a Superbowl this year. Honest answers only. What will it take to do it now that we know Marty is back for 1 more year until we enter the Cowher sweepstakes?

My Thoughts:

1 - Sign Kris Dielman, we need this crazy guy. Pay him 5 mil a year for 5 years and lock him up.
    2 - Tender Turner 900,000+/year which would force a team to give us a first and a third rounder for him
    3 - Let Donnie walk, I dont want him to leave but he is going to go be a Saint
    4 - Let Randall retire, if he does not retire, move him to backup
    5 - Let Keenan go or at least drop him to WR#5 and let him educate the young receivers some more
    6 - Move VJ and Floyd to #1 and #2 on the depth chart and let EP work from the slot
    7 - Dismiss Kiel for his off the field actions, or at least demote him
    8 - Move Cromartie to #2 CB, demote D-Flo to #3 for the lack of self control
    9 - Retain our 2 coordinators, they are the reason we were 14-2
    10 - Put Nate into a strength building regimine in the off-season and make him prove he can hit 50+ FG's @ a 40% or better clip
    11 - Lock up Shaun Philips for another 5 years

1 - If the Turner deal goes through we should end up looking like this in the draft (This is just an estimate);

1st round: #15 (MT Trade) & #30
    2nd round: #30
    3rd round: #15 (MT Trade) & #30 & #33 (Compensation for Brees)
    4th Round: #30
    5th Round: #30
    6th Round: #30
    7th Round: #30

2 - In the 1st round we need to take a Speedy WR that can stretch the field and a hard knocks strong safety, if we cannot do that then we move on to NT, DE, MLB, and O-Line or bundle the picks and move up to take a #1 WR.

3 - Round 2 should be used on a NT, DE, MLB, or O-Line, whatever we did not take in the first

4 - Round 3 should be a CB and RB

5 - Round 4 through 7 should be used for trades or to bundle and move up as drafting someone in these rounds with the depth already on our team is almost ridiculous.

Off-Season moves:

1 - Whatever the draft does not bring us, we need to pick these positions up:

#1 - #1 starting WR in the vein of Steve Smith of Carolina (Not USC)
    #2 - Hard nosed Strong Safety a la Troy Polamalu
    #3 - Backup NT
    #4 - Backup MLB
    #5 - Starting RT if we plan to move Shane inside
    #6 - Backup RB (Pinnock may be able to handle it but I would prefer better)
    #7 - Backup CB
    #8 - More O-line backups

So feel free to flame, add to, or subtract from this list. Just trying to keep my mind on the future and to stop thinking about last weekend.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jun 20, 2005
    Great plan MadMike. I can't see any reason to disagree with your takes. However, if we don't go after a #1 receiver, I'd put VJ and EP as our starters with Floyd @ #3. Camarillo, could be a solid possession receiver at #4.
  3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2006
    A real SS and A WR core that doesnt involve parker as a starter
  4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Aug 17, 2006
    To have such a dominate team that they destroy opposing teams next season. Which is possible. The young guys matured and will mature through next year. And if A.j. can upgrade like 3 or 4 positions the chargers could possibly be one of the best teams ever. WHich should help marty finally get his super bowl.
  5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2006
    I don't see Parker not being on this team this year. He had a poor game obviously but he will be back.
  6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Jun 27, 2006
    Ok if that's how you say it will roll...

Here is MTL's dream list

1st round:
    #15 Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss
    #30 Robert Meachum, WR, Tennessee
    2nd round:
    #30 Eric Weddle, S, Utah
    3rd round:
    #15 Brian Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
    #30 Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College
    #33 CJ Gaddis, CB, Clemson
    4th Round:
    #30 Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska
    5th Round:
    #30 Ronnie McGill, RB, North Carolina
    6th Round:
    #30 Adam Koets, OT, Oregon St.
    7th Round:
    #30 Conrad Bolston, DT, Maryland
  7. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2005
    I dont like taking a WR early in the draft. I think if you can get an early 1st from trading or comp for turner would make this team greater. For instance, if we can grab a top ten pick somehow, use that for defense. SS is needed. With our 30th overall, take a WR. EP isnt a starter. But thats how deep our WR's are. We dont have great ability there. VJ and MF arent our #1 and #2 receivers. They are more of a #2 and #3 type. They have nice height but no speed. And please dont tell me EP is a speedy receiver. Explore FA to see whats available. We need more OL.
  8. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2006
    I thought we were supposed to get over the "hump" this year? I would like to see us pick up a fast WR with good hands also. It was sorely missed last sunday.

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2006
    You will Never get a 1st round for Turner never. He will be a f.a. in one year no team will ever make that deal . We will be lucky to get a 2nd .

1) Count on the B.A. at a position of need. A quick Steve Smith Type which in this draft only one fits that bill his name is Ted Ginn and he is a high risk high reward selection that may not be on the table when we draft.

2) The only have too select in the top 3 rounds will be OG and Safety if Dielman fails to sign.

3) Don't be shocked to see several lower round picks bundled in order to move up in one of the top three rounds. The Chargers should get at least one extra selection in the 3rd round for Brees they have 3 f.a. who became starters for other teams in Leber , Cauldwell and Fletcher. Those bonus picks can not be traded.

4) Based on the roster most likely only 4 or 5 draft selections have any type of shot to make the club as a result we may over pay in order to move up and get better talent in the top 3 rounds.

5) This draft is strong in LB and WR and pretty good at Safety's.

Top needs depending on Dielman and his contract.

We may need several lb based on Edwards and Godfrey and Foley's situation.