1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

So, what's the board's general consensus of the coaching staff at this juncture?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    Question:
    With the comparisons, and cherry picking of times to compare... How do you judge Norv based on his first year as a head coach to McCoy's. Yes I mean with the skins.

McCoy is at 4-6 10 games in.
    Norv was at 2-8 10 games in.

Norv did have a rookie QB where McCoy has a veteran, but if you look you will see a lot of similarities. Norv made rookie mistakes just as McCoy has/is. Correct?

• Like Like x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,762
    There can not be an objective consensus on the past or present coaching staffs due to the fact that no one here that I know of has been involved in professional football. As "fans" the opinions expressed are nothing more than guesses no matter how many stats you post to prove your point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Goal-and-1 against the Ravens' #2 in the league run defense - TD wins the game, minimal time remaining (and certainly not enough to kick a FG and hope for an onside recovery and another shot for Kaeding, at the time)... Norv calls an B-Gap (Ray Lewis' traditional gap) HB Dive with Sproles (our smallest HB) not even bothering to try and run behind Goff (our best run-blocking lineman). The same Sproles that was averaging 2.6 yards per carry on the game to that point and had 26 total yards for the game to his tally. Chargers/Ravens 2009. There's just the first example that came to mind. If I sat down and actually put some time into trying to remember more, they're there.

Difference is, Norv was a twice prior HC - unsuccessful track records as he might have had, he at least had prior HC experience so things like being in charge of challenges, managing all units of the team, etc. were things he'd done for a number of years prior. McCoy is still green in that respect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Nope…I know you're late to the game on this one LBC, but the Ravens play was asked and answered 2 days ago.

Even if it worked--it doesn't--no, it's not as direct a cause and effect. Fact remains, McCoy has two gigantic
    clusterfunks in his first 8 games, that have no match in 99 Norv outings…quarrel if you will…it's still true.

And you're also not the first to try the "let's drag in previous coaching gigs" to ignore the current mess.
    This is "Bolt Talk" and thus the topic was one Charger coach being replaced with another, and how awesomely
    that's currently working out. No argument that McCoy is green, but the argument was never
    "Is McCoy going to be more successful than 1994 Norv?", it was about 2012 Norv.
    People (many of whom yelled loudly for Norv's head) now seem to want to pretend that we were all good with
    "green" and accepted worse records as part of the deal.

p.s. But any post that disagrees with me is guaranteed to get you an "Agree" from our resident cranky little boy. :)

5. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    No, he didn't make them until someone can show he did

It's getting funny with how many and varied there are now. The challenge flag joke was funny because he didn't even think about it or ask anyone, he just threw it while PR looked like his co-dependent son
    PR: Dad, what are you doing? Everyone can see that!
    ABN: It's OK Son, No one saw [fumbles on the ground for his dropped hip flask while putting his dicck away]

It's not about record but hey! These go to 11, right?

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Anyone who quotes win% as if it's scripture is not a rational thinker. You know how many 8-8 seasons it would take to bring Norv down to 50%? He could be here for the next 20 years going 8-8 every season and Lance would be on his nuts the entire time.

That's not how the NFL works, really it's not how ANY pro sport goes about things these days. Once the downward spiral turns into a trend nobody who doesn't have a ring is safe...IE Andy Reid.

Point is your wasting your time with Lance as I did.

7. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    very mad math

8. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162

"it was 4th and 2 from the 17 and they had a Timeout
    there wa 47 seconds on the clock
    That call had won games in the past

So while people pretend that they're being fair, Norv didn't do anything like what McCoy is doing, yet no one is asking for McCoy's head.
    Burlington Bolt Brother, Thursday at 9:23 PMEditDeleteReport"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...5d9/NFL-GameDay-Ravens-vs-Chargers-highlights

You guys have anything else or will you just pretend this post never existed and we can do it all over again?

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    So to sum up, you're calling for McCoys head 10 games into his HC career? And you think this makes you seem wise?

And BTW same situation or not that was an attrocious call by Norv. Same as his patented goal line Sproles draw up the middle from shotgun formation.

10. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I'm not sure you represent the comprehension of everyone else reading here but I'll answer this in case you do.

No

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    So then you're saying your statement (or accusation?) about people not calling for McCoys head was compleltey pointless?:cautious:

Because it sure seems like your trying to compare the two situations.

12. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    It was not the same
    Whether or not I liked the call, we aren't privy to all the intelligence that goes on behind the play calling of a team and Norv is known to set things up in prior games on top of prior plays (ask Troy Aikmen). Having said that, given the situation, it was not at all close to being the type of head scratchers that MCoy/Wiz ran that entire series (It's now proven, right?). In fact, Lance is arguing how dumb these calls were but I'm not and rather am focusing on the dumb schit I've never seen a coach outside Marty do before. THAT is the stuff which is impossible for you guys to defend or to make false equivalencies with.

13. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    That's the only option you could think of? You could just ask

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I came to 2 possible conclusions about your compleltey asinine statement. If your telling me there's a 3rd you should stop playing coy and enlighten me.

15. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Have you considered you might not be very bright?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Right or wrong, McCoy didn't come with the track record Norv did.

Had McCoy come with the previous experience Norv had in his previous 2 head coaching positions I'd bet most everyone would be calling for his head by now like they did with Norv the second he lost his first game here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Cute, but this banter just makes you seem desperate.

If you're not going to give me an actual answer I'm just going to assume you weren't actually for our HC to be fired 10 games into his rookie year, and that your comment/accusation was just pointless nonsense.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294

Nah, cant do that pick plays are penalized now days.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Have you stopped beating your wife?

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    WHAT? What are you talking about? Is this how you always react when cornered? What is your deal man?

21. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Not being Norv has given McCoy a lot of room with fans. I can't ever remember a fan base letting people off the hook for being a rookie and talking about learning from mistakes. And again, nowhere in Norv's history is there anything people can compare to what MM has done. I'm open to being proven wrong but safe to say, since no one has come up with anything real, it was only his win losses and Chargers fans' identity issues that mattered anyways. I'm not talking win/losses or even questionable play calling about McCoy. I hope he learns or learns to get out of the way too! Hell, I'm all for him being an ABN figure head while PR and Wizenhunt coach the team! But that doeasn't mean I won't be around noticing what I think is happening.

22. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    just answer the question

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Simple answer (not that I owe you one) I would never hit a woman and never have.

I think it would be foolish of me at this point to assume you have a point, you never seem to. Your just a sad little rat in a trap.

24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294

Exactly CONC.

Im not gonna expect a epic turn around when we still need to solidify the Oline. AND I only started thinking about the Chargers in the post season around week 6-8 when we were in a early tie for wins/losses vs the 6th seed team behind then undefeated KC and DEN between 7+ teams sitting at 1 or below .500. At that time, I was convinced that we were record or not still the best team to have a chance to do something with sneaking into the post season as a 9-7 6 seed. Since then and the losses to DEN, Wash and last week to *damn we could have taken a giant leap in putting a nail in the coffin of one of the top threats to that 6th spot falling in our favor* in MIA. NOW, I feel like I should that we dont deserve to even sniff the post season even if we could upset a team like KC or whoever gets the 6 seed now.

Alass, this season has been more bright than it has bleak. I am glad that we are able to mask our weaknesses to the opponents so well. And it does kinda suck that we havent been able to win the games that are right there in front of us. All in all cant blame the HC or the OC or the GM for all the usual strange shenanigans that befall us every year.

Im gonna give the new FO and Coaching staff a B- grade. Id have to give the players a A+ for effort, but the results we have seen from them *lately, been lookin at you Defense* have looked like they would yield a D at best as a whole.

25. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918
    I don't think fans are letting him off the hook so much as they're just realizing he's 10 whopping games into his head coaching career.

Do you start calling for them to cut a rookie WR because he drops a few passes or runs the route badly a few times? Why should we be rushing with our pitchforks 10 games into McCoy's head coaching career?

And notice I didn't say NFL head coaching career. McCoy has literally never been a head coach anywhere at any professional level until we hired him.

• Like Like x 2
  26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Coughlin still is teetering on the brink.

27. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I'm not saying people should let him off the hook but rather a normally pitchfork carrying crowd is awfully kind to him. The excuses you're giving should beg why the hell anyone wanted to hire him, no? The players are playing a fast game and mistakes are inevitable. This reminds me of the Marty lovers blaming the loss on McCree and ignoring that their head coach in the first quarter of a tie ball game, in field goal position, went for it on 4th and 11. It's a very bad equivalency. players will drop balls but coaches should never fuch up inactive lists

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Not what I was lookin for, but another perfect example of a wtf Norv moment.

Google: sproles stopped 3 times inside 10 yard line

week 6 09
    http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09gamerecap-den-6.php

RB Darren Sproles, Rush: 1 - 0 - 0, Rec: 1 - 4 - 0 (1 targets)

Sproles first and only carry came in the first quarter after LaDainian Tomlinson had carried the ball three times in a row to get to the Broncos 2-yard line. Tomlinson was replaced by Sproles, and on the sideline he didn't seem too happy about that. The Chargers tried to run an inside trap to the right side, but it was stopped by the Broncos and San Diego had to go for a field goal.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Coughlin to his great credit changed his way when confronted by his veteran players just before he lost the locker room. If he hadn't he'd have been fired long before he ever won a SB.

30. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162