1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

So who made it last year that won't make it this year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigcarson50, May 9, 2009.

1. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/05/07/friday.insider/index.html

I know these things are pretty much a crap shoot, and there isn't any Charger talk in this article (unless you look at it from the angle of who we might face in the playoffs).

I still think this is interesting though. Every year, you hear people say "so and so is going to make the playoffs this year", yet you hardly ever hear the discussion of who is going to give up their spot to make room for newbies.

Anyways, I agree with a lot of what Banks has in there, but here are mine for what it is worth. I grouped some together because they have the same explanation.

Dolphins and Falcons--They are both going to suffer setbacks after break out seasons last year (much like the Chargers did in '05). The Dolphins also won't likely have Brady out the whole season again, and the NFC South changes champions and playoff teams faster than Denver signs/drafts running backs. I would expect both of these teams to be competitive, but be on the outside looking in.

Cardinals--Will Boldin be on the team? Can they avoid the SB loser curse? I want to say they will still make it, but Cardinal history tells me otherwise. If they do make it back, it will only be because the NFC West might even be worse than the AFC West.

Eagles--This will be the beginning of the end for Donovan (which is just dumb the way those fans treat him). Too much turnover. And while they did reach the NFCCG last year, they barely squeeked into the playoffs thanks to the Bears choking (Cutler fits right in). The division is also one of the toughest in football.

Titans--No Hayneworth, no consistent passing game, no playoffs.

Panthers--I still don't think they were that good last year. No consistent passing game, and they play in the NFC South (Expect the Saints to dominate this year).

• Like Like x 2
  2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    The only one I don't really agree with is the Eagles. With getting Maclin in the draft, they're going to be really dangerous with him and DeSean Jackson on the other side. Then with Westbrook and McCoy in the backfield they have a very solid running game. I think they have a very good chance of running that division this year.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    the only ones I can think of is the pats in and the dolphins out (way to go out on a limb :icon_tease: )

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I like the list but replace Buffalo with New York. Also I think Chicago under Cutler gets to taste January. I like the Colts out but I don't know if it will be Houston that replaces them. The Cardinals won't get very far. Baltimore is still focusing on building for the long run. I think this is their year of really getting that opportunity as they will not make it.

5. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Fixed it for you! :icon_rofl::abq2:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    My pick for the Super Bowl is:

SAN DIEGO vs. ATLANTA

or

SAN DIEGO vs. PHILADELPHIA

I'm leaning towards Philly over Atlanta

Of course the Bolts will win it all :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If any of these teams miss the playoffs, who will take their place?

I see the Saints becoming a playoff team as the Panthers are headed down. In the division, the Bucs are also on their way back to the Yucks.
    Saints and Falcons have always been a rivalry and it's going to get good this season... really good!!!

Cardinals could be one of the most dangerous teams in the league with or without Boldin. Who's going to knock em' out? Lambs? Seachickens?
    Though the 9ers will be better this season but still not good enough to pass the Cardinals.

Bills and Jets have potential but finishing ahead of the Dolphins and Patsies is going to be tough.

Browns and Bungles are doomed. Steelers and Ravens will have that division for a long time and will be Super Bowl contenders for a long time.

Colts and Titans will be a good battle for the division title but that's about it. Texans could get into that battle but I don't see them finishing ahead of either team.

To our benefit, our division sucks really really bad and will for awhile.

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's an interesting game of thinking thus far before the season:
    I predict Miami out, but only Buffalo in because Brady needs some adjustments to get ready again.
    Pitts and Ravens will make it again
    Jax or Indy will fight for the crown in the AFC-S
    SD-Bolts and surprisingly KC will get in the playoffs, because there will be a melt down in the NFC-east
    and only Giants will remain.
    I do not support it, but Cutlet will have impact on Chicago Minn will be No. 2.
    NOS and Atlanta get the edge in NFC-south and
    who knows what the weak NFC west will bring us ?
    I'll go with Seattle by homefield advantage.

All in all a 6 - 6 new/old variety, too

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I forgot about that.
    If the Jags get back to their winning ways, that might knock the Ponies out of the playoff picture.

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The Colts will win that division again. :yes:
    The Jags don't have the "horses" to pull it off.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If Jags best days are in the past, you're right.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    There's some team in Tennessee that can do it again.

Of course, the big question is how much will no Haynseworth hurt them?

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

They'll win the division. Mark it.