1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

So ... who's pissed about our draft position now?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Riff Raff, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,426
    Nothing like the good old piece of hickory. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +549
    Hickory dickory dock... (I was going to channel Andrew Dice Clay, but that may give away my age ;) )

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    And this has what to do with my initial question? Or are you just content to keep beating this dead horse into oblivion?

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    At least I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Just go take the damn Lombardi and worry about the small shite later. Draft picks are like farts, you can only hold them for so long and when it does come out you have to hope it ain't wet!!.

6. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    I like you riff but I talk to other posters too...i hope we can still be friends

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'd have to check the stats but he's definitely a contender.

8. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Keenan had 437 yards and 0 TDs that year. I think you are confusing his 2006 season with 2004.

9. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    He still played that spot and was the deep stretch receiver. He was second to Parker in yards but still the "#1". He had zero injuries and had a super bowl ring.

10. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Vincent had more yards than Keenan too, plus 6 TDS. That makes Keenan the #3 WR option at that point, and 5th option behind LT and Gates as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I stand corrected on numbers but not options. He was the starter and played the one. LT and gates (and Vincent) did not. Hope the point isn't flushed with my incorrect numbers.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,907
    Regardless of what his title was can you really accurately claim that him not getting playtime was the difference between winning and losing if our "#1 WR" gained a whopping 437 yards on the season?

I remember that team being awesome in talent but WR was probably the main weak point.

13. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I agree WR was the weak point and mostly because Cam was using PR with no confidence. Problem though is that it doesn't get stronger by benching your deep threat. Don't worry too much about the 437 for the position he played....Running deep routs and drawing double coverage doesn't show up in that stat. I didn't claim that by itself either....I gave a list of other things the coach did or didn't do to cause that loss.

14. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Seems like the nonemclature is getting confused in here because some people are using the term "#1" to refer to the X receiver, and some are using it to refer to the highest volume receiver. Neither are technically wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Aww thats so sweet.

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think that any of us had ever said that getting into the playoffs and losing was worse than finishing dead last in the rankings.

However, sucking out an extra win or two and screwing your draft position by 5-10 positions when you've already been eliminated is something else entirely.

The team had a chance to win it all (and it would've been an even better chance if the offense had decided to play before the 4th quarter), and we're getting a lowered position based on our relative success in the playoffs. Would I rather be drafting top 3 than 20th? Absolutely, especially given the rookie salary cap.

That's not what this call-out thread is talking about though.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,426
    Telesco did a nice job getting guys who dropped below their true value last draft. If he maintains that "draft for value" mindset, then I think we'll do fine where we are at 25.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Absolutely. If TT keeps stealing people left and right, we'll have crushingly good talent regardless of where we're drafting.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,907
    I get that this call-out thread isn't talking about the difference between top 3 and 20th, but I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with the general vibe of the question in the thread title and the ensuing argument by charger1993.

The general debate wasn't top 3 versus 20th, it was effectively 15-19 versus the mid-20s or so debating the merits of making the playoffs but not winning them versus missing them and having a better position.

It basically boils down to the meatheaded "2nd place is last place" mindset versus the merits of a mid-range-successful season.

While I'm obviously disappointed in how the last game ended along with the season I am still glad they made the playoffs in spite of the lower draft spot because it made the season that much more fun. And the difference between where we are now in the draft and where we would have been had Baltimore or Miami won in week 17 (and we still won) isn't so great that it hurts us.

• Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Let's not forget that last season we were spinning our wheels with a HC/GM that were virtually certain to get fired. Once we were mathematically eliminated there was very little incentive to keep winning, I would argue none.

The opposite was true this year IMO, I think you want a 1st year of a new regime to have as much success as possible regardless of draft position. And that mentality should hopefully will continue as long as our new regime remains viable, but 3 losing seasons in a row and I'm sure apathy will reign again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    15-20 isn't better than 21st, as long as your team is good enough to be a playoff team. Every year that the Chargers went to the playoffs in the last decade, we were a good enough team to win it. What's damaging is when you have no business being there but suck your way in and get your draft status damaged. Last year the debate was centered around whether winning our last few games was good or not. It wasn't. We were mathematically eliminated, and it pushed back our draft stock. Did winning those games help us? Nope. Did we come out ok anyway? Absolutely. Allen is performing like a top 10 pick, and Fluker has been fantastic.

If you're not in the playoffs, every additional game won just puts you another slot back.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    After close to 50 years, I just really can't get that excited about the draft and where the Bolts choose. Not all the controls can be had in one draft that are needed to to fly the plane straight. My hope would be that Tel-star and McCoy can get some nice shiny parts through the draft but hit the midnight auto supply and poach a few high performance parts to get this thing running on all eight all the time.

23. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Shall we call the waaaaahmbulance to deliver you to the crapshoot known as the NFL draft? You can have high draft picks, do all of the evaluation, play the game & still have a player never reach the potential you believed was there. Meanwhile, playmakers have been & will continue to be found throughout the pool. This is why BPA consistently works for teams.

Pound "the lose to get ahead" mentality all you like. This thread has served it's purpose - to call out the folks like you with that mentality. Meanwhile, I'll continue to espouse the "to win it you have to be in it" mentality of realism.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

Is this real life? Did you really just criticize me for saying that picking 3rd is better than picking 20th (or in our case last year that picking 6th is better than picking 11th) and then conclude your sentence with "to win it you have to be in it"?

Please tell me that you realize that anyone picking 1st-20th is not in the playoffs and therefore cannot win it.

25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    No **** Sherlock. I criticized you for continuing to hold the line of "worthless" wins equal a lost opportunity to build a team.
    Yes - we lost out of the playoffs. If we had never gotten there, we would have had NO chance at all. Twisting the timing to suit your narrative doesn't change the fact that you have to make the ball to dance.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    What are you talking about? Are you incapable of differentiating between the situation we were presented with last year, and the situation we had this year? Are you incapable of understanding a hypothetical? What does any of the bold have to do with anything, and where did the red even come from?

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,426
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I wouldn't back a team that "tanked" in order to improve their draft pick or whatever, that's the same thing as quitting in my book and once a quitter always a quitter.

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    ...and no one was suggesting purposefully tanking, either.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Is there a better way to play to lose???.