1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

some interesting news on released players

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Sep 2, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Michael Clayton (WR) age 27,plays for bucs.. bucs are looking to either trade or cut clayton, heres some highlights of Michael Clayton

Travis Ivey (NT) age 23, played for dolphins, dolphins recently cut travis ivey he is still available,many people wanted us to pick him up as a udfa

Breno Giacomini, (T) age 24, packers are looking to trade him

Byron Westbrook (CB) age 25, just released by redskins

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yes, let's pick them all up before someone else finds out. I am sure they would be a great asset to the team.

Pointy

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl:

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Bingham released, CB added
    BY KEVIN ACEE, UNION-TRIBUNE
    TUESDAY, AUGUST 31, 2010 AT 4:44 P.M.

The Chargers released defensive lineman Ryon Bingham today to make room for cornerback Fred Bennett , claimed off waivers from the Houston Texans.

The move was expected, if not this soon.

Bingham, has been out for more than a week with a back injury that could preclude him from playing for another team right away. Even before getting hurt, though, Bingham was considered a longshot to regain his spot on the defensive line.

A seventh-round draft pick in 2004, Bingham battled injuries but was a key contributor on the defensive line from 2006-08. He started just two games but played all three line positions as a fill-in. He missed last season with a torn biceps.

As for Bennett, he might not be a longshot.

The four-year veteran is expected to practice Wednesday and could play in Thursday's preseason finale. Aced out in Texas by the drafting of four corners over the past two years, Bennett's arrival signals a surprise could be coming with the cornerbacks.

It certainly should not help the cause of Brandon Hughes or Dante Hughes to make the roster.

It appears Nathan Vasher is safe, but the Chargers could go with a fifth cornerback, too, since Donald Strickland is primarily a nickel back.
    Bingham released, CB added - SignOnSanDiego.com

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    well of course people already know, i just like the fact that travis ivey is still available, and byron westbrook, they could contribute

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    They could contribute what? 3-4 snaps per game, if that? I wouldn't part with Derrick Jones at this point for Travis Ivey (who was literally nothing more than a big body in college; no great upper or lower body strength, no explosion, little lateral mobility), and chances are Ivey if on the 53-man roster wouldn't even be active barring a massive slew of injuries to our DL core.

For the record, Byron Westbrook is still on the Skins... or so the Skins themselves are saying. And we just claimed another (albeit IMHO noting more than a big-hit, hips-of-stone) corner from waivers... how many more do you want us to pick up? Should we carry 9 CB's on a 53-man active roster?

I get that you're anxious for anyone or anything that might give us a competitive advantage, but barring a few older guys who generally haven't been able to cut it against the younger guys, you're not going to find much quality among the players who are young and can't even make the first round of cuts in the preseason; those are the guys who are destined for the CFL and the UFL. After teams have to trim down to 53 men, then there may be a few diamonds in the rough to be gleaned, but even then, I'm inclined to believe that for the most part the guys that have been here, know our playbook, and have chemistry with the other players on our side are going to tend to have better success than another team's castoff.

If someone like say Greg Jones (who's in a start or cut battle with Brock Berlin in Jacksonville) gets cut, then maybe I'd consider giving him a look, but even then, he doesn't present the S/T value that Hester does so that has to be weighed against his blocking and short-yardage abilities.

7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    you make a very valid point,the reason i like ivey so much is because he is a big body who could contribute more than alfonso boone, who just looks lazy all the time. i like ivey for the reason the raven like ngata and cody, a big line could demand double teams for merriman and phillips to get pressure. and from the site i checked said byron westbrook was getting released, but it could very well be wrong.. and as far as greg jones id take him now hes one hell of a player lol..but we do need to pick up alil bit more beef on both lines. we dont need 5 corners backs, and really only really need mathews and sproles at the rb position while tolbert starts. we need some sort of beef to help our guys out