1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Some Jason Verrett love.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Joy Division, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
  3. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    No Keenan Allen interest piqued?

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Really, the hope of our defense rests in the hands of Carrethers. If he's not ready they'll be just as Charmin soft as they were last year, and the year before. Lissemore, Palepoi, and Urine are just guys, and Reyes is worse than all three of them. Rico Mathews has a chance to start, but he may end up better off in just a rotation role.

Either way it's not going to be smooth rollin for guys like Perryman, Te'o and Butler who have to make tackles behind those guys.

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    He disappointed last year, but certainly deserves a great opportunity in his junior year ;)

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The whole defense needs to make a step up or it may be the end of the line for some. All the talking is over and I'm tired of hearing how good so and so are going to be. Prove it on the field!!!!!

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
  8. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
  9. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I agree with what you are saying and I would take it even further.

If Carrethers does not emerge, we have a chance to be the worst rushing defense in the league this year. Really, no joke.

Without Carrethers stepping up, we are not any more stout on the DL this year than our #29 rush defense in yards per carry against was last year and we are softer on the edge of the defense versus the run because we lost our best run defending CB (Wright) and have Verrett starting in his place. And while Verrett is better against the pass, he is not as good against the run.

I would start Lissemore, Carrethers and Liuget (our 3 best run defending DL players) in our base defense and stop the run on first down, forcing opponents into passing situations. I am not concerned about base 3-4 DL players getting sacks or if our opponents pass on first down. I want the run stopped, forcing known passing situations against our good pass defense (ranked #4 last year). If our pass defense plays to form, possessions will be short.

That will play right into our ball control offensive strategy.

What I think our team's people have not given full weight to is the notion that if we allow our opponents to run against us, that negates our own ball control offense and allows our soft defense to get beat down. I don't know why this has been overlooked, but it has to have been overlooked because virtually no resources have been allocated to the DL (at least prior to the team throwing up money all over Liuget).

Stopping the run is the key. The pass defense will take care of itself.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Go Thunder Hammer DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Verrett has no actual issues tackling or playing run defense, he's not a linebacker of course, but he's solid for a CB.

It'll be interesting to see if Williams, Robinson, Davis or Mager wins that slot CB job. My money says we don't see Mager until 2017 barring injury issues, but he's probably the best tackler of the group.

12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Verrett is a solid form tackler and is willing to get in there to make a play (doesn't make "business decisions" like Cromartie or D. Sanders), but his physical size results in what I will refer to as "drag tackles" where the RB is falling forward for extra yardage in more instances than if he had more size.

I am not suggesting that he is a liability versus the run, but last year it was obvious that Wright had spent lots of time in the gym as he had turned himself into the poor man's Quentin Jammer versus the run (very physical/good, that is). A ball carrier that Wright would stop in his tracks or drive backward Verrett will take down also, but the ball carrier may fall forward or not go down for a step or two, gaining extra yardage in the process.

I think S. Williams has very good coverage skills (poor man's Verrett). If Robinson wins the job, that means we have four guys that can cover. I like Davis, but I am not sure he is all that good outside of special teams. I thought he had potential as a PR. I don't see Mager playing a lot of CB absent injuries. His best potential may be at SS in passing situations where he can use his speed to cover receivers. I doubt he is physical enough to be a legitimate starting SS in the NFL, but I would be happy to be wrong about that.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Verrett has me incredibly excited for this upcoming year, I've almost forgotten what it was like to have a good CB before Mr. 9-8-7 had his flukey year. He deserves all the pre-season accolades he's been getting but now he has to back it up. Him, Robinson (he will win the job I have no doubt), Flowers with Mager providing depth should be a damn good CB core.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No doubt Verrett has a lot of potential and shows it on the practice field, but I figure his shoulders will see him off to the IR rather quickly. Two bad shoulders in quick succession is no basis for confidence in the long term display of his obvious talent. I regret that Verrett's hard nosed enthusiasm for the game Won't be a long term feature of our defense.