1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Some other potential free agent options

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 20, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    Will Chargers' DC reunite with Lawson? - AFC West Blog - ESPN

What interests me primarily about Lawson is two fold; 1) He doesn't have to be the guy here, he could just be a solid compliment to Phillips which is what we need 2) He's supposedly a special team demon

From ESPN Rumors
    Recently, Matt Williamson of Scouts, Inc. opined that the Houston Texans need to do everything in their power to re-sign FB Vontae Leach. But whether his paychecks bear the logo of the Texans or another team, they're going to be quite large in 2011, according to what Leach said during an appearance on Sirius NFL Radio on Tuesday.

"When you are the best at your position, you want to be compensated like it," Leach confirmed, according to host Adam Schein.

So which teams are in the mix if he doesn't re-sign with Houston? Leach mentions the New York Giants, San Diego Chargers and Seattle Seahawks as potential destinations if he's not back in Houston.

Considered to be one of the best fullbacks in the game today, I like Hester's improvements but this could be a quick upgrade to help the young Mathews. Look what Leach helped to do in Houston - Foster credits him with helping Foster become a top flight running back
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006
    Leach - I'm not sure I want to break the bank for a fullback. Hester is not great, but he's solid and we gave up a lot for him.
    Lawson - Ehhh....he gets consistant pressure with the best pass rushers in the league, but never gets sacks. I wonder what will happen to his game as he ages and loses a step, he could be a complete waste of money later in the contract.

Offensively I would rather see us pursue a guy like Kevin Boss, who can play a very solid all around TE and line up as a FB like Manu used to. Or...hold your gasp, Braylon Edwards. He's not an AJ guy in character, but he is in every other aspect.
    Defensively, I really liked Matt Roth when he played in the Dolphins 3-4, and landing a Paul Posluzney would be great if we could get some injury clauses in the contract.
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    I think we have a few free agents of our own to resign, before we go on a shopping spree. ;)
  4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Feb 20, 2010
    nah i rather keep our money n find a game changer
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    To be honest I thought we might have seen Lawson before Spikes. I'd be v surprised were we to go after Leach, the Chargers brass love Hester. Get Weddle and Burnett signed ASAP that's the priority for me.
  6. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Aug 31, 2010
    Would love to see a bigger, meaner fullback than Hester. The LoNeal Days were the Golden Age of the Bolts running game, but not willing to give up too much money for Leach with all the other position (LB) that need to be filled. Leach would be great, but if someone could figure out how to piss Hester off and give him a nasty streak, then that would o.
  7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
    One of the UDFA's we signed was Patrick Dimarco- the full back that was lead blocking for Marcus Lattimore at South Carolina last year