1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Some thoughts on home opener

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 11, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    The NFL did a great job on all their ceremonies for 9/11, the taps played throughout the NFL afternoon game was very moving, the flyover was incredible too. They did a great job

The one thing I take away from this game is that the Chargers did not make the same mistake twice. Harvin takes opening KO for a TD, that doesn't happen rest of the game. They either knuckleball the kick or kick it way out of bounds. AP runs for 75 yds in the first half, they held him to 23 rest of the game. They did something stupid going for it on 4th & 20, they let Scifres kick it next time. Those are improvements the Chargers would not make last year

Hold AP under 100 yds, victory.

Chargers did something I've never really seen before; alot of teams like the Steelers will use the run game for ball control. The Chargers on the other hand used the short pass inside to the TEs and RBs to the exact same effect. The Vikings were kept off the field for all but I think 7 plays in the third quarter. I don't know if that was purposeful but they've got something good there

Tolbert is so the man, still don't think he's a great dancer but that's just me

The Chargers showed some good improvement on their run stopping; liked what I saw out of Garay, Spikes played hard, Sanders was all over the place.And as mentioned with #3, hold AP to under 100 and keep him bottled up, and you will win.

The Chargers made a ton of mental mistakes, the good news is that those are fixable, its not like a lack of talent of bad scheme. With time they will improve, and I think its a rare day that Rivers mis-throws that much. They also showed great improvement cutting back on their mistakes in the second half.

Furthering point #2, when the Chargers had to HAD to make a stop to end the Vikings offensive chances, Laboy comes up with a big sack (or was it Barnes) in the late 4th. When the Chargers needed a first down to end the game, it wasn't even a play but Rivers F-ing with the Vikings defense. When they needed a FG to tie, Scifres nutted up and did it. That is absolutely something you did not see the Chargers do

Lot of things they have to improve on, lot of things the Chargers must make better. But even with the issues there's a ton of positives to take away from this game.

And above all else, never forget

• Like Like x 7
  2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    We're 1-0. Good enough for me for this week.

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    1-0 is the best start in years!

Despite all the things that need to be worked on...I see the chargers turning a corner mentally this season.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    The one thing I took away from this game is they showed the grit that championship teams have. The opening kickoff was returned against them, AP was off to a good start, you're down 17-7 at home to end the half. What happens? They man up and take control. We lock up the special teams, we shut down Peterson, and we straight up handled business in the stretch. 17 unanswered points.

Lots of mistakes but we somehow found the strength to overcome it all. Good job guys!

• Like Like x 6
  5. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Happy to have won the opener...it has been so long! I don't understand this new forum!

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hi, Kim!

Good adjustments by the coaching staff at halftime.

Maybe some junkyard dogs have shown up in San Diego.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I must have been the good luck charm- I started watching the game around mid 3rd Quarter after getting home from the cinema. Sci-Fi hits the game tying field goal and Rivers scores the game winning TD. Defense looked great and cannot wait for next week to hit brady right in the mouth

• Like Like x 1
  8. setanta74

setanta74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Really good points there. The frustration over the last number of years was immense but those 3 items you mention right there are really really positive items that hopefully can be maintained through this season.

The only concern I would have from yesterday is seeing Rivers getting pressurised so much but our QB is so damn good he just takes what the defense gives him on the field. Floyd having a quiet day, VJ bottled up, no problem I'll dump it off here for 6 or 7 yards or I'll hit Tolbert or Matthews for a big gain. No sweat.

I love PR in a dude love kinda way.

Very happy to be 1-0. Chiefs losing was pretty good too. Is it possible for the faiders and donks to both loose tonight? ;)

9. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    It was Barnes with the 4th Q sack. It was awesome. They made all the necessary halftime adjustments which made all the difference.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Where was the ball at when we went for it on 4th and 20? I assumed we were out of Mike fg kicking range? I did not see what yard line it was on.

Totally agree about the opening ceremonies. I got a bit misty eyed during, it was very moving, great idea to simulcast.

Great analysis Ant as usual.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139

Introducing your first place San Diego Chargers!

12. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I thought it was on the 25 (42 yarder)

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    thanks, wasn't quite sure. Figured it was out of his range for a fg but way too close to punt.

14. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    First thing is I am happy to say that I didnt stab someone near me after the opening kickoff. I think thats a sign that i'm growing as a person. Other than that a few thoughts:

1 - Tolbert is a beast. Mathews is a hell of a switch up. Between the 2, I am quite happy with our backfield.

2 - Stuckey may have had the first shot at Harvin but Gamble had both hands on him and didnt get him down. Time to put the vets in on STs.

3 - SciFi is the mother lovin man.

4 - Jammer may be the best run stopping corner in the game.

5 - Cason is officially the best past coverage corner on the team now. Got beat once yet still managed to get a hand int he way.

6 - Takeo brings so much intensity to the front seven, I think I found my new favorite player.

7 - The coaches did not make changes fast enough, but damn once they did they locked the Vikings down.

8 - Rivers was off, WR's were not hitting full speed, but man the mental toughness to fight through that **** was great.

9 - Second half pass blocking was so much better.

10 - Shaun Phillips is really starting to make me believe he is the best LB named Sean\Shawn\Shaun\Chone\Shyawn that has ever played for the Chargers.

Time to sign Novak, bring OG back, and get to work studying the NE Patriots tonight so we can kick their asses up and down the field next week. I want our DE's and LB's to come home with some of Brady's locks next week. We can donate them to locks for love out here and make a nice whig for someone.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Nice post Mike!

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm too lazy to re-type this so I just cut-and-pasted from an earlier post at another Charger site ......

The best thing about this game, other than the W, was that we went in at half time & made the right adjustments. All in all a sloppy game but we kept after it & nutted up. Something tells me that AP might wantto keep his trap shut about his production next time. Good halftime adjustments by the coaching staff.

OG has probably already received his call to report back. Sucks for Castillo. Martin's time to shine now. Just so I don't disappoint .... we should have kept OG over Cam Thomas anyway. The drop-off between Garay & him is Grand Canyon-wide. I have a hunch that Martin may respond well to the junkyard dog mentality of Spikes & Sanders.

Why was Green in the game? While I admit Vasquez struggled early, Green is showing that he's not a better option. McNeill played a solid game for a guy coming off of a knee procedure & very limited practice/reps.

PR looked rusty, not nearly as sharp as in preseason. Gotta give some of the credit to the Minny D. They played well IMO. Lot of pressure on the pocket & good downfield coverage.

Spikes & Sanders certainly looked better in this game. I'm not as sold on Spikes' pursuit ability as some seem to be - chalk it up to mileage - but he took far better angles in this game & was stout up the middle. Butler settled down & played well for a rook. I know that Weddle will catch **** from the usual suspects, particularly on the one AP play where he got shook off like a poodle, but guess what? I'll bet a good percentage of the safeties in this league would have whiffed entirely on that play. AP isn't exactly chopped liver. Kudos to Sanders for hanging in & running him down.

The initial KO return by Harvin was pretty disheartening. Wouldn't want to have been near Bisaccia after that for awhile. Add insult to injury (no pun intended) with the loss of Kaeding. Nice job by Scifres to step up & deliver.

NE may not be pretty on the scoreboard end either. Tough to say right now. East coast travel seldom agrees with us, it's early in the season, & it's NE. Oh wait .... we've kicked their asses in Foxboro, haven't we? Vegas may have some fun with this line.

KC is who we thought they are. Jets would have lost if not for Romo. Their win certainly looked no better than ours. If Dez Bryant hadn't worn out even Romo may not have handed them that win. Don't hand the AFCSouth crown to the Texans yet. Pittsburgh looked old & tired - that made me happy. I wanted to see Jim Harbaugh punk slap Carroll at the end of the game. I suppose beating his *** AGAIN will just have to suffice. Apparently Cincy doesn't need Carson to win - well, at least not against the Browns. Carolina took a loss but Cam Newton looks legit. AZ was my lock this week so good for the Cards. WTF, Atlanta?? Liked the 'Skins win - my heart has never been in NYC. Philly started shaky but settled in for a good win. They need OL help badly. The Motor City Madmen may cause some noise in the Black & Blue division this year. I like that too.

Pulling for Oakland tonight because I hate Denver even more. What can I say? I don't live in Cal & the Donks are bitches.

I hope the early season fog clears before next Sunday.

AMF

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    You don't half to win the first half, only the second.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    but you do have to win the second half. Besides, isnt a half win really a loss?;)

19. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Not in the standings...

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think the Chargers need to spend a pick next year or go into free agency and find a better RG. This is getting absurd with Vasquez and Green. Either that or find a true interior linemen replacement and shove Mrzucowski in there, which I would be all for. How bad does a guy have to be to be rotated in and out of the OL and how bad does the replacement have to be to constantly blow every chance he's received to take the starting job?

Also wanted to note I liked what I saw from Spikes but not so much from Butler. Might be first game but why is this guy starting and why did we not get another vet starter at ILB instead? Diggs is a nice addition but he won't be active til like October.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I was teasing you. You said "You don't half to win the first half, only the second." I was joking about the term half when you mean have... poor joke but anytime I can catch a spelling one I am gonna take it! ;)

22. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Good one.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    What's really funny and ironic is that it's Conc correcting someone else's spelling. :D

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    1. Agreed about the two. But Tolbert is the switch up bruiser and goal line guy. Mathews is making big plays.5
    5. I still give Jammer the edge in pass coverage. The reason they were targeting Cason is that Jammer was blanketing his man. And Cason did get beat deep in the 4th quarter. Luckily, McNabb underthrew him.
    10. Phillips is one of the most underrated LBs in the game. He and Jared Allen both had 11 sacks last year. Allen gets raved about, for good reason of course. But Phillips is never mentioned.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    In the first game of the season most defensive units are ahead of the offense. I was impressed with the way the Bolt's D dominated in the second half and basically allowed the offense to come back and score. They shut the Vikes down and especially AP and that's no easy task, I am stoked.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hmmmm ..... Butler looked like he came around pretty well to me. First regular season game, Spikes & Co. had good things to say.

Ball watching again, Ant? :giggle:

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yeah I thought Butler did great for his first real game. Loved to see the D huddle around Manusky in the 2nd half and Coop standing alone on the sideline doin diddley. For the life of me I cannot understand why he is still on the 53. Bring back Wallace, cut Coop, dress Diggs.

Oh and props to Marcus Mc, he came in after being out for ages and already looks in top form. He can only get better.