1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Some training camp news

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jul 26, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/249937

Chargers greet Cason like any other rookie

By Ryan Finley
    Arizona Daily Star
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 07.26.2008

SAN DIEGO — Antoine Cason's transition from first-round draft pick to rookie was a loud one.
    From the second he arrived at Chargers Park on Friday, Cason heard the jeers reserved for an opposing player, or worse, an Oakland Raider.
    "All the guys in there were giving me a hard time," Cason said. Starter "Quentin Jammer gave me the hardest time, but it's all in fun."
    Razzing is expected when you're a rookie — and the last player to report to camp.
    Cason signed a five-year, $12 million contract late Thursday night after a three-day holdout.
    He was on the field Friday, wearing a navy No. 20 jersey and knee-high white socks, when the Chargers held their first full-squad practice of training camp.
    "It's great to be on board. It's about time," Cason said. "This is what I'm here for — to play football and have a good time with my teammates."
    Cason's first workout was relaxed but productive. He participated in basic defensive backs drills, ran with the scout-team offense, and logged minutes as a "gunner" on special teams.
    Depending on whom you believe, his practice either went great or not so good.
    Chargers coach Norv Turner said Cason "had a couple mental errors today that, had he been here Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, he would have gotten it right."
    So what if Turner and Cason didn't even cross paths during practice, or if the cornerback didn't see enough playing time to make mistakes? A rookie's a rookie.
    "I don't think I made any mental mistakes today," Cason said, flustered.
    "Offense and defense were separate."

• Like Like x 1
  2. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080726-9999-1s26chargers.html

A more mature group of Chargers adopts different demeanor as club starts new era
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 26, 2008

No introductions necessary
    Cooper glad to be on field, for now

Here they are, having been through so much together and now perhaps on the precipice of an unprecedented season, believing they are finally prepared to do what they've felt was within their reach for so long.
    “Everything you can think of a team can go through, the highs and lows, we've gone through,” quarterback Philip Rivers said this week. “The majority of us are still here. Now it's kind of like, I don't like to say it's all or nothing, but what are you going to say – 'Hey, we did the same thing we did last year'? All the more there is to accomplish is the whole deal.”

[​IMG]
    Tight end Antonio Gates works out on the side as he recovers from a toe injury that required surgery.

The Chargers officially commenced training camp yesterday with so many of the same players but with a somewhat different demeanor.

What once was a youthful arrogance has evolved into a quiet confidence borne of trials experienced together.

There are 22 players on the roster who have been with the Chargers since 2004. That includes 14 starters. More than half of the players (28) expected to be on the final roster have been here since 2005, including 17 who will be starters this season.

“We definitely have matured as a group,” center Nick Hardwick said. “We're getting into our fifth and sixth years. We've got a lot of good experience. When we were younger we had that stupid confidence, where you don't know what you don't know. Now it's a mature confidence, where we know what we have to do.”

Four years ago, many of the players now comprising the core of this team were part of an unexpected run to the playoffs for which they weren't prepared.

Overconfidence bled into the next season, and they suffered the indignity of missing the playoffs altogether.

Through it all, a bunch of young players felt they were practically predestined to win and talked like it too, all their talent and the accolades from others puffing them up.
    Then came 2006, and just two losses in the regular season gave way to a stunning and ugly defeat in their first playoff game.

Conversely, a nearly disastrous start to 2007 led to a beautiful finish to the regular season, and two postseason victories landed them in the AFC Championship Game.

That advance, perhaps, was the greatest of all.

“Until you get there you don't know what it feels like,” LaDainian Tomlinson said. “You don't know what it feels like to play that deep in the season. It's new to you. You don't know what it's like to go to Indianapolis in January, New England in January. Until you do it . . . That experience is vital. And to win (at Indy), that sets up well for us.”

Tomlinson, and almost every other Charger who speaks of this new confidence, is also careful to infuse caution.

“We've got to do it all over again,” Tomlinson said. “We've got to make sure we take care of our business throughout the season, not start off 1-3 and put ourselves in a hole.”

These prudent words come with a sincerity that was often missing in recent summers.

“You learn,” Rivers said. “The cockiness has turned into a legit, 'It's a reality, we can do it, let's go do it.' ”

Moreover, there are fewer words.

Other than not denying the widely recognized fact they are Super Bowl contenders, the Chargers aren't doing as much talking these days.

“It is a quiet confidence,” linebacker Shaun Phillips said. “Guys are more mature. They don't have to be all giddy. Guys just know we have to take care of our business. We'll benefit from that. We know we can't make a big fuss out of it. We just have to work on getting better.

“We were a young confident team, young and hyped up. It's the same way now; we just don't have to boast about it. We just have to go out now and take care of business.”

3. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    First open workout lively

Fans were excited at least.

Players did gab it up more than in the morning, but it just seemed there was a real business-like approach today. I think that might be the tone all camp.

The Chargers debuted the headset helmet for defense, as inside linebackers Matt Wilhelm and Tim Dobbins each wore one to get plays from coordinator Ted Cottrell during practice. Stephen Cooper was supposed to be the guy with the headset this season, but he is suspended the first four games. It will be Wilhelm or safety Eric Weddle wearing the special helmet in September.

Nose tackle Jamal Williams worked part of the afternoon practice on the field and then went inside to work out.

For now, Cory Withrow is the No.1 center with Jeremy Newberry working with the second team. Newberry will likely be the fill-in starter by the time the season starts -- unless Nick Hardwick makes a miraculous recovery.

First-round pick Antoine Cason got the crowd excited by jumping a route and intercepting a Casey Bramlet pass in one-on-one drills.

Sixth-round pick DeJuan Tribble is likely headed to the practice squad. There simply isn't room on this roster for another corner, but he had a fine first day. Made nice plays on the ball.

4. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
  5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Woohoo....

Looking forward to the first preseason game. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Great stuff John. Thanks for posting those. I can't wait for the season to start. I can feel the ENERGY all the way down to the valley :lol:

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080726-9999-1s26chnotes.html

8. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    got my Bolts flag flying up here in faider heavy LA.

Can't wait for the season. See ya all at the Dallas game!:abq2::icon_toast::icon_party::flag::icon_banana:

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    (sniff!) Ahhhhhhh! The smell of leather! :tup:

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Sooooo....are we trying to piss off/discourage our new players right off the bat? This segment had me scratching my head a little.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Norv's just trying to push him to do even better, no matter what. :yes:

12. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Cason has to be on board with the coach. especially since he's a rookie. he cant have the "i know it all attitude".

13. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Ah I see, the cut em down and build them back up our way style. :yes:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Either that or Norval is running the camp well enough to what is going on even when he can't see everything himself with lines of communication. Just might speak well about how well the offense and defense will function this year.