1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Somemore "LT is done" Talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, Jan 7, 2009.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This is horrible...I love LT and he is far from done!

Link : http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090106/Whitlock.1608/

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Get used to it.

LT is trade bait my man. I know AJ promised him a ring, but I wouldn't be surprised if LT actually asks him for a trade.

Problem is I don't think he's worth much anymore.

Personally, I'd love to see the guy shut it down completely right now. Go into off-season mode. Get the surgery, rehab, and try to give it a shot next year.

It's clear he wasn't healthy all year... and when he finally as... he got hurt again. He needs to do this now if he's got any hope of a career revival.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    LT will play for the Bolts in 2009.

Although it might be his last...

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    LT will not be trade bait. LT will not be let go. LT is staying right here unless he retires in the off season.

5. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    :tup::tup::tup:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    The NFL is a business, there is no more loyalty. Thank you free agency. Then the salary cap came along. Loyalty went out the window. I am going to get what I can as fast as I can.

And to us people the fans, we now cheer a number, there might be someone else wearing that number next year, but we continue to cheer. Lots of people cried the day we let lose JR. and Rodney, but we were able to get better in their absence.

If LT and Merriman are trade bait, then so be it. We are winning without them on the field are we not?

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    I do not understand how people who are supposely fans of this team can honestly believe trading LT is an option.

In a season when he was hobbled more than healthy LT is still a top 10 RB in the NFL. He is still a 1000+ yd RB. He is still a difference maker. He is still a leader in the locker room. He is still one of the Greats.

Injuries are not the only reason for his "dissappointing" season - the Oline also has a hand in it - limited time of possession for our offense had a hand in it.

He will be back to true form and while he may never reach the staggering heights of the 2006 season there is plenty of gas left in his tank. LT belongs in a Chargers uni until the day he decides to walk away, which if he has his way is likely in 2011 or 2012. A whopping 2-4 seasons from now, when he's old, gray and an ancient 33-34 years old.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Syd... I think LT may be the one to prompt discussions of a trade. He's playing the hero role right now. But if he thinks he's being phased out, he will want to get out.

His rehab will also be a major factor.

I hope to gawd that I'm wrong and that he can revive his career here. I love the guy.

Do you know that I practically had dinner with him the night before his first game as a Charger?

I came down for the opener and we went to Seau's the night before. He came walking in with his family and sat down a couple tables from us. I was shocked that no one came up to him for autographs or anything. I might have been the only one who recognized who he was.

My wife still gives me shiit about not buggin him for an autograph. I don't really care about that stuff. Little did I know he'd turn out to be the greatest charger running back of all time and an NFL HOF'er. [​IMG]:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Because of just what H8r said above - the NFL is a business. I love LT, too. But I love the franchise more. :yes:

Wish you had asked then knowing what you know now? :icon_shrug:

I'm with you, Nick. LT may well be the one to ask out of SD. :unsure:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Advise to LT:

Do not play until we reach the Super Bowl. Run one or two plays and sit.

That way you can say you played and then watch us destroy whomever.

Then retire as a Bolt with a ring. If we get no ring, then try to come back for one more shot if you have the desire and the body cooperates.

Whatever you do - retire as a Bolt. :bolt:

Do not betray your tattoo or we will biiitch slap you. :bolt:

11. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,804
    I get that the NFL is a business but it still doesn't make sense to me. :icon_shrug: IMO he's still got plenty to give and what he brings to the table is far more valuable than any draft pick or other compensation we could get in a trade.

12. antipsychotic

antipsychotic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    LT does not have any trade value going into next season. He will be coming off possible surgery and a career worst season.

E James and M Faulk in their prime only fetched I think a 2 round pick.

Maybe a team like the Browns would offer up a 3rd for LT to compliment Jamal but would they want to take on his contract?

I don't see AJ trading him because teams won't be knocking down the door for a 30yo feature back. If it were up to me and I could only keep Sproles or LT. I would sign Sproles and flat out cut LT if I had to. Nobody can play forever.

13. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    LT will be back next season.

He does not think that he is done and there is no chance of getting anything close to equal value in trade.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I think LaDanian Tomlinson is going to stay in San Diego until he retires. I definitely don't seem him pulling a Brett Favre either. But let untastic seasons from this future Hall-of-Fame running back. He's breaking records as a Charger. Remember we have had for him for seven fantastic seasons as a Charger and he will forever will be remembered as one. Does anyone remember Emmitt Smith as a Cardinal? Certainly we do but we'd rather, and rightfully, remember him instead with that star on his helmet. That is the case with Tomlinson. He is going down in history as a Charger, the greatest person to donn the bolts if he does leave.

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    from the players stand point its get every cent when you can as there may not be a tomorrow.

From the owners side its win, and put people in the seats. A sold out stadium to season ticket holders will net you a ton of $$$$$. They will have paid their seats off in May, and you don’t have to pay one player until September. How much do you think they can make on interest for that amount of time?

16. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,804
    I'll agree to disagree but everything in me tells me that it would be a bigger mistake to send LT away than it was to draft Ryan Leaf. I def don't see LT preventing the Bolts from winning and certainly don't see him keeping people out of the seats :icon_shrug:

He AND Sproles are a worthy investment to fullfill both objectives [winning and filling seats], especially since he's got a contract thru 2011 [or 2010?] wasn't it front loaded as well? So most of that money has already been paid?

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I liked the olden days better, your a Bolt and you're not going to be anything else.:bolt:

18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    OK, let's not offer LT a ride to the airport just yet.

Here is a quick review of the facts:
    1. LT is just now turning 30
    2. He spent more than half the season playing through a toe injury, which is one of the worst things a running back can suffer and still take the field.
    3. He suffered a groin injury in the Denver game
    4. The O-line took several weeks to start playing well
    5. Lorenzo Neal is a Baltimore Raven this season
    6. Phillip Rivers has become the focal point of the offense
    7. LT still managed to get over 1,000 yard on the ground this season....

and you are ready to throw him under the bus??????

Fast forward to 2009, LT takes care of the groin injury in the off season and comes back with something to prove and a chip on his shoulder the size of a moving van. I believe he will be a Charger until his contract is up after 2011, barring a career ending injury. He wants a ring, and this is one of the best places to be to get a shot at it. I am not putting my LT jersey in storage anytime soon!

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

• Like Like x 2
  19. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Exactly....The man has been injured almost all season and he still produces. This is a classic case.

The man has an season for the Ages less than 2 years ago that may never be reached. And he's been consistent before and after that season. And now people are saying he's done? He'll be done when he stops being a top 10 RB in the league. And right now he's at least in the top 5.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not saying that you're wrong, but the "come back with a chip on his shoulder" thought was already used talking about his performance for THIS year. I don't think what WE think affects LT all that much. :no:

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    If LT would have not had the toe injury, he would have easily had 1,400 -1,500 yards like last year, and I'm sure he would have had a minimum of 15 rushing TD's just like he did last year.

He still got 1,110 yards and 11 rushing TD's with the bum toe...

And that's with the crappy play from the O-Line early in the year.:yes:

I'm saying it now...LT 2009 NFL Comeback Player Of The Year.

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Agreed, but if he starts 2009 healthy and stays healthy he will push himself to have a very productive season. The fact that he can't contribute right now has got to be eating him alive, he will want to come back strong.