1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Something Positive: Thoughts on the front seven so far.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by thejdog, Aug 21, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    The front seven w/o Godfrey and Edwards looks fast, looks powerful and looks aggressive as hell
    No let down and i'd say maybe an improvement perhaps with Wilhelm and Cooper in there.
    I think they can get good pressure from everyone

2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I saw a variation on a stunt when Wilhelm sacked Favre.

Merriman lined up with his hand on the ground and pinched in from the left DE spot. Wilhelm faked a stunt to his left, and the guard was going to slide under and outside of the tackle that mirrored Merriman's pinch move to the inside. But, Wilhelm came straight through the gap as soon as the guard started to move out and Matt basically got a free run at Favre.

I've not sure if the whole thing was choreographed like that, or if it was just a blitz and that's how Wilhelm did it instinctively.

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I'm always hesitant to draw too much from preseason, but our linebacking corps has seemed quicker, more physical, and faster sideline-to-sideline with Wilhelm and Cooper in there. It might just be time to bring in the understudies. Last season we seemed weak up-the-middle. The defense just looks different right now, like the soft underbelly has been firmed up.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Williams anchored the #1 rush defense in the league last year. I saw no drop off in his play at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I'm not too fond of Wade P. He's a good coordinator but I wouldn't even go near calling him one of the top coordinators in the league. For our defense to be successful we need to protect the intermediate area much better. IMO we should come up with more creative blitzes and play our LBs in zone so we can deny the intermediate area. Short area I'm not worried about... we can defend the run and if they want to get it to outlet receivers Cro and Jam are great tacklers and our LBs have the closing speed to make such passes no more than 2-3 yard gains. We need protection in the slot on deep plays and Cro will bring that if not right away then soon. McCree should be an upgrade (though still not great) matching up with tight ends.... really the area of concern for me is 5-10 yard passes in the intermediate zone. Merriman and Foley were liabilities last year, Godfrey stinks and Donnie wasn't dropping back and reacting properly. Wilhelm will bring that protection, hopefully Cooper is played on 3rd down for the entire year, Merriman will be better..... shadow the opposing tight end and deny the intermediate area and we will become a dominant defense. Wilhelm and the year of experience Merriman has are positive steps in the right direction :icon_banana:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Delayed or drag dogs and stunts are being run.

This is the one advantage the 4-3 offers and that is the number of stunts you can typically run.

A 3-4 can immitate that look as well but not as prolific out of a base 4-3.

7. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Our front 7 is about as good as it gets. And they keep getting better. It's what's behind them that's been the problem:deadhorse:

But up front, no worries for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have a worry. Jamals back up.....and any of our defensive ends back ups....

• Like Like x 1
  10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    I love Cesaire :icon_evil:

11. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    we lose a DE maybe we see phillips and harris with more time with the hand on the ground?

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pick any LB you want including Merriman (which he does) ....