1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Something raises my concerns more than clock management

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Folks... We have trouble...
    Right here in Rivers City...
    Trouble with a capitol T and that rhymes with....
    You get the idea.

Two weeks into the season and the Chargers have gone for 2, 2 point conversions.
    The first one the offense was so befuddled that they could not even get the play off in time, AT HOME!
    The second was chaotic and deplorably easy to sniff out. The Bengals D (not taking anything away from them they played well this Sunday) was all over it like white on rice.

It truly disgusts me that the team is not prepared to run, and execute at their typical high level of performance, a friggin 2 point conversion. Do they not practice this? Do they not have a short and goal situation play they can call upon.

One aspect is Coaching, but frankly I put a lot of blame on the well paid players not having their heads in the situation and able to perform.

SMH..... 1-1, with a loss to the Bengals is not a end to the season that has a lot of promise. But the fact that the team is turning the ball over like it is greased, and cant manage to run plays has me very concerned for this unit that is crowing in the press about how they have such high expectation...

/Rant

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    That's bad play calling and that's been a stable of the Chargers for as long as I can remember. Something needs to change.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure I agree it can all be laid at the feet of the coaching. Is the play call why the O could not get the 2 point attempt off in time? It looked like they were set up in time to get it off. That makes me consider it a problem with execution. Could it be a lack of practice? Sure, but as I said before could it not be argued that a 2 point conversion is exceedingly similar to a short and goal play?

The second one, perhaps play calling... But was the play changes at the LOS? I dont know, I think both Coaches and Players need to get their collective heads into the game.

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Conc, until Gates comes back you will both see this poor execution on the 2 points attempt and also on short and goal (unless it is the sort of S&G when you get 3 attempts at it)

The reasoning:

Most teams would want to take away the strongest Chargers asset or threat if you will, i.e, Antonio Gates. Ladarius Green is by no means Antonio Gates. While true that Green is tall and lanky and good for those back of the end zone jump balls, he does not have the kind of body (and booty) to swat off the smaller DBs, which Gates does have. I think that his absence has put a serious gaping hole in the options avail to Reich. I typically don't like those quick passes to wiry type WRs as it was demonstrated aptly by the Seahawks who cost themselves another SB ring.

Is it bad execution when there is less option at planning? You bet Ya that it is. With the kind of offensive line which we saw on last Sunday, the running play was going to also be very risky because the Bengals would have had no problems pushing the Chargers entire OL into the RB (I don't care whether MG, Woody or Ollie) in a short compressed field!

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Not getting a play off in a timely fashion on a basic play that could realistically happen in any game is evidence of bad coaching.

Also, I did not care for the play call on the two point conversion. On make or break plays (conversions, 3rd downs when a punt will follow, 4th downs), I hate pass play calls that do not call for the ball to be thrown in the air beyond the line to be gained.

I would have had no problem with throwing a high ball to Green. The other play that makes sense to either Green or any of the WRs is a back shoulder throw on a play in which the receiver begins to run the pattern as if it were a fade. Such a play could potentially work well with Floyd or Green because the defender should be expecting a fade pattern and may, as a result, leave the back shoulder throw open.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know Blitzen... To say we will not be able to run short and goal situations (2pt or other) without Gates is even more infuriating. Are you telling me no other player will be able to execute in that situation? Or that we will not be able to create a mismatch in the Defense without Gates?

That is even more discouraging...

7. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    There is no doubt that Gates would draw double or even triple coverage, depending on how menacing and sharp he comes back.

Weak line and no Gates = Not much mismatch with a very capable D.

I had already said that S&G with multiple attempts could yield a different and more beneficial result as opposed to a one shot 2 point conversion. Not making any excuses for the Coaches (planning) and the befuddles players (poor execution) but do NOT underestimate the importance of Gates in these situations.

8. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Going into Monday night, Chargers led the league with giving the football away. Thanks to bad Luck, they're leading with 8, we're in second with 6.

Not good, how about this.

I'll make it simple. Chargers turn the ball over zero times on Sunday and I guarantee a win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Why do we always seem to barely get the play off with Rivers clapping like a seal to get it snapped seemingly every play?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What irritates me is McCoy doesn't take pre-season seriously, and it shows.

There were plenty of opportunities in preseason to practice red zone offense and 2 point conversions, and I don't recall one single time we tried. He treated it like a regular season game, just going for the easy points and not challenging his players. To me that is lazy coaching, and poor foresight.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, sorry Matti but can you point to any of the 32 head coaches that used the preseason to practice 2 point conversions. I don't recall seeing one.

My point is, does it reflect any logic to hold against McCoy the fact he did not take the opportunity to do this in preseason (which to your point would have been an excellent time to, but we also needed to see what we had in Novak and Lambo) if no other coach did? I mean there are so many other things to choose from to be peeved at McCoy about that seem much more legit... (IMHO)

12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I think it is more about secrecy and not flashing your hands as a HC. Like Conc has alluded not many HCs tried to practice 2P conversions during the preseason.

We are really dissecting this way too much guys! We were beaten by a much better team on their turf where they hardly lose during the Regular. In fact, I am now amazed that we were so close till the end! I mean if Andy Dalton had not over thrown his receivers we could have easily been beaten by 2 more TDs on top of that final score. Also lets not forget how many times we turned the ball over and the meek ToP.

None of this is a cop out, but the facts Jacks!

13. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    ;):whistling:Maybe we should try deflating balls;):whistling:
    Just kidding

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    or if we play the pats...inflating them. **** would hit the fan for brady. BRB launching 150 yard throws

Headline news, Gronk killed by pass

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can we get the Gorilla towels back on the sideline instead?

16. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Exactly!