1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry I haven't been around much lately

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lightning's Girl, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Of course, I have to acknowledge the fact that you may not have missed me :lol:

There's been a ton of stuff going on in my life lately, so I've been lucky even to lurk here. The biggest news is, I'm finally done with the public school system after 21 loooooooooooong years........the "baby" graduated just last night (that's him and one of his many female friends in my avatar) and I'm SO happy to be through with reams of papers, student fees, science projects, schedules, etc. WHOOPEE!!!!!!!!!:abq2::abq2::abq2:

On the other hand, it does feel weird to have ALL my kids now grown..........how did I get so old all of a sudden? And where in the freaking hell did all those years go??!! :icon_huh:

There's been other, less fun stuff happening too. The census at my nursing home just keeps dropping, and I've been told that my hours will more than likely be cut from 32/week to maybe as few as 16, I don't know yet.:icon_eek: I'll be able to keep my health insurance, but I sure as shootin' can't live on one or two shifts a week...........I make a decent hourly wage, just not enough to survive if I'm not working regularly. This is not anyone's fault---hospital AND nursing home admissions are down all over the country---and if I had some seniority, I know it wouldn't be like this because my bosses are awesome people! But they can't pay RN wages for us to sit around, and even this old nag has to find projects to fill the hours when I AM on duty because other than a big burst of activity between four and six PM, I'm not very busy. Cursed efficiency!!:tdown:

On top of that, my son is headed to Iraq this summer, my oldest daughter's significant other is being a complete ******* to her and ruining my grandsons in the bargain, and my younger daughter's promotion to sergeant has been delayed by some rather severe health problems. She'll get there soon enough---she's certainly ambitious and tough enough---but she has huge ovarian cysts which cause her terrible pain, plus a condition called cervical dysplasia. This is a pre-cancerous overgrowth of cells that's already required one surgery, and she will more than likely need a hysterectomy.

She's only 23 and wants more children someday, but as I told her, her dad and I would rather have her HERE, alive and well, than leave things to chance in the hope that she may bear us more grandchildren. Hell, it's not even close. She needs to get all those organs yanked YESTERDAY.

So........how was YOUR week?:lol:

• Like Like x 3
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Well congrats on getting that "baby" out of school!

And we all know that times are tuff right now, I hope that everything works out for you! Right now you are amongst friends!

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Gee LG, hope it gets better. And I hope your kids stay safe.

Since you asked about the week, well, my wife was laid off on Wednesday. Worked at her job at major Carlsbad biotech company for over 9 years. They've merged/acquired so many companies over the past 2 years, they are eliminating the higer skilled (read: higher paid) employees. She's a talented scientist so she should find something out there.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Ditto!! :)

I now that those kids have a great mom, and things're gonna get better!! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sorry to hear about the hard times but you have some things to smile about too. Concentrate more on those!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Hey LG. Ramona is still here.

Had the Rodeo last weekend. Good Times.

I got laid off two months ago and there is nothing in my field. Construction is over manned. Lucky for me, we saved enough to survive for 12 months just for this occasion.

I'm looking at this as a really long vacation.

BTW. If any SD resident BT Members need something built or repaired around the house, holler. I need a reason to get out of the house. I don't just build it, it must be a masterpiece. Just retiled my Brother in Laws Bathroom and Floor througout the house. Looks sweet. :tup:

I can only handle so much of this doggone "Honey Do" list. :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Thanks, y'all :yes: Looks like things are tough all over, for sure..........sorry about the whine, I oughta be grateful that I'm still working instead of biatching about fewer hours!

I posted some grad photos on my profile page for those interested. BTW, Ben says THANKS too!:tup:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Hi LG just reading this for the first time. Yeah things are tough all over. I've been at my company for a while and do have some seniority. Just survived losing three people in my department... but I'm not going to relax just yet, given this economy.

Here's hoping you can keep working 32 hours one way or the other. Health care is a mess right now. If all else fails, have you considered home care nursing?

Thoughts go out to your daughter too. She doesn't want to risk cervical cancer.... so I'm sure she'll do the right thing when the time comes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Marla, Have you considered going back to school for your NP or becoming a PA? I think mid level providers are going to be more and more in demand. :yes:

10. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Nope, not really..........can't afford to further my education now, and I'm just getting too damned old anyway. The smart thing would've been to go straight through all the extra courses back when I was still in learning, not earning mode.

I've never really had a burning desire to go back to college. A couple of things named O-Chem and Statistics just keep getting in the way of pursuing a higher degree, yanno?

Oh well, like we always say around my house........next life: better body, fewer children, more money, smarter choices!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Hey LG, I will be thinking of you. It's been a rough year for a lot of people. I basically lost just about everything this year...but life has a way of working out, I think you get an angel or two when you need them the most and maybe things don't always turn out the way you think they will or want them too but when push comes to shove...there is always seems to be another door.

I haven't been around here much either and gonna work on that. After moving honestly kinda look at my kids the same way and thinking where did the time go and spending as much time as I can now.

Be good to YOU, you are a great lady and I will be praying for you.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good deal, Deb, sometimes I have a hard time finding your posts to REP!! :tup: :icon_toast:

13. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I know........I've been missing the 10 Friday Questions!!:yes:

Hang in there Deb---you are an awesome lady and good things will come to you in time.:tup: