1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sour grapes or spot on? Chargers CB blames officials for loss to the Jets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescr...s-officials-for-loss-to-the-Jets/Default.aspx

San Diego Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer was irate at two pass-interference penalties against him and 13 penalties on San Diego overall and laid blame for the 27-21 loss almost totally at the feet of referee Ron Winter and his officiating crew according to Bart Hubbach of the New York Post.

"I don't have to say anything about what the refs did -- everyone saw how the calls went," Jammer said in a decidedly angry Chargers locker room at MetLife Stadium. "When you're not getting the chance to play the way you play, it's upsetting."

Despite claiming he didn't have to comment on the officials, Jammer was just getting warmed up with a diatribe that could very well land him a fine from the league office this week.

Asked if the officiating was consistent, Jammer said: "Yeah -- consistently bad. No way it was called fairly. No way. Not at all. It wasn't called fairly at all. Maybe I'm being biased, but I'm just judging off what I saw. It wasn't a fair game called."

Jammer said his claim was bolstered by the fact San Diego wasn't flagged at all in its previous game two weeks ago at Denver, then decked 13 times for minus-95 yards yesterday while the Jets were penalized a mere eight times for minus-60 yards.

"How does a team just get sloppy like that the very next game?" he said. "The answer is, it doesn't."

• Like Like x 2
  2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm buying it. Reminds me of how Kobe or Lebron or Durantula get their fouls. I saw Durant "draw a foul" when there was nobody within 5 feet of him on a break away dunk. These things piss me off.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Fair play Jammer, now let's see some of that fighting talk on the field.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The officiating in my honest opinion was TERRIBLE! They missed a lot and saw a lot that wasnt there. I am biased, so I am not ready to call it a solid fact, but that game was the worst officiated game I have seen in a long time. At least Hockuli was backed by a rule. This team seems to misinterprit rules left and right.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think Jammer will be fined though. He dared talk about the officials...

6. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    It aint like Jammer to mouth off to the media, so he must be really pissed.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Apparently he wast the only one:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...bad?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

For San Diego cornerback Quentin Jammer, there's no mystery as to how the Chargers blew an 11-point halftime lead Sunday to the New York Jets.

Jammer has a perfect explanation, as far as he's concerned, for a particularly frustrating Week 7 loss: 13 penalties called on the Chargers, including two pass-interference flags on him.

"I don't have to say anything about what the refs did -- everyone saw how the calls went," Jammer told the New York Post, in a post-game locker room the paper described as "decidedly angry."

"When you're not getting the chance to play the way you play, it's upsetting." Jammer was just getting started with his rant on the game's officials.

"(The officiating was) consistently bad," he told the Post. "No way it was called fairly. No way. Not at all. It wasn't called fairly at all. Maybe I'm being biased, but I'm just judging off what I saw. It wasn't a fair game called."

Jammer's logic centered on his belief the Chargers aren't a particularly sloppy team, pointing out how they weren't whistled for a single penalty during a win over the Denver Broncos in Week 5. But they were far from clean Sunday, racking up five offsides and neutral-zone infractions and a number of penalties in the secondary that prolonged drives for the Jets.

One flag on Jammer especially was costly. With the Jets leading 24-21 in the fourth quarter, Jammer drew a 20-yard pass-interference penalty for bumping Santonio Holmes on a third-and-three. The drive ended with a field goal seven plays later to extend the Jets' lead to six.

While Jammer likely can expect a fine from the NFL later this week for his comments, he wasn't the only one in the Chargers locker room upset with how the game was called.

"They were bad, really bad," safety Eric Weddle said.

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Spot on. But it's time to move on to KC.

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    No use crying over spilt milk now. I've vented and I'm good now. 7 days until we face the Chiefs who are starting to scrap for wins. But as of today we still sit atop the AFC West at 4-2. (2-0 in the division is always good.) And we have yet to reach our peak. Things will come to fruition all in due time, but until then I'm excited to FINALLY be able to watch my Chargers on TV in Norcal next Monday :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sure, there was plenty of poor officiating.

And there was AT LEAST as much piss-poor play in the 2nd half. Neither excuse tells the whole story.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sour grapes. The only time refs should ever be blamed is when your team doesn't have the opportunity to over come a bad play. The Chargers had MANY opportunities and fail every time. The Chargers should blame no one but themselves. Good teams over come poor officiating, Bad teams use it as an excuse

12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Chargers’ Jammer says refs gave Jets the game
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 24, 2011, 8:33 AM EDT

Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer blasted the officiating following Sunday’s loss to the Jets, saying “consistently bad” calls cost the Chargers the game.

No way it was called fairly,” Jammer told the New York Post. “No way. Not at all. It wasn’t called fairly at all. Maybe I’m being biased, but I’m just judging off what I saw. It wasn’t a fair game called.”

The Chargers were flagged for 13 penalties on Sunday, including two pass interference calls against Jammer. One of those two was a huge shift in the game, giving the Jets 20 yards and a first down on a third-down incompletion. Jammer, who was covering Santonio Holmes on both plays, did not agree with the penalties.

“When you’re not getting the chance to play the way you play, it’s upsetting,” Jammer said. “I mean, football is a contact sport. There’s going to be contact. Receivers make contact and corners make contact, so at some point you’ve just got to let us play.”

And Jammer wasn’t able to play Holmes the way he wanted.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This is how that sounds to me

14. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I wanted to slap those refs with a popsickle stick during the game.

15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Phil Simms even commented on how they blew some calls. So there must be something there. Although, that officiating crew is known for calling a lot of penalties

16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Quentin Jammer was correct, and it was blatantly obvious to all who watched the game - it was the same way last Monday night when they played the Dolphins, Revis is good but he gets way too much help from the refs, amplified by the numerous flags thrown on opposing cornerbacks who do far less than he does.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    He didn't say we lost b/c of the calls - he said it wasn't a fairly called game. That's not whiny it's ACCURATE.

• Like Like x 9
  18. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    This.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Norv should send a split screen to the league with Revis on one side & Jammer on the other, and request an explanation or a better “clarification” of the actual rule…

• Like Like x 1
  20. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    He's probably got a point, but there were more reasons than that for the loss. The absolutely dismal offensive performance in the second half is the biggest reason in my view. Ill-fated turnovers that led to points for the Jets proved to be the nail in the coffin.

That being said, no time to linger on it, we caught a break with the Raiders losing too, gotta prepare now to take care of business against Kansas.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Perhaps... Watching the game though there were 4 times I counted that the offensive line of the Jets moved, the Chargers reacted and we got the flag. I am no NFL Referee, but it seems to me that if the OL moves after being set (other than slow movemets of their head to hear a call) then that is a false start. One the OL started out of their stance and we got flagged.

So perhaps it is a bit of crying, but there is a smelly onion which is causeing it, and that was the officiating yesterday.

Also I hate blaming the referees, it is a cop out most times. Yesterday that crew blew chunks.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Seconded.

23. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    lol, I don't even know why we are trying to make light of this. To be honest and I said it in another thread. When you are sitting at the bar, and Jets fans are next to you like they were me, and were telling me that we were getting hosed....Sry there is something wrong with the crew. I am sick of hearing how the Chargers could have pulled themselves out of it by better play. If you take away the bad calls that extended 3 straight drives which resulted in points the Chargers get the W without scoring a single point in the second half. Regardless if you could have bailed yourself out with better play you would almost have to play a perfect half of football to overcome that.

Jets fans here, the announcers on numerous occasions, and Jammer who never says anything about anything is coming out and saying it was horribly called....My guess is that it affected the outcome in a very big way.

• Like Like x 3
  24. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Even with all the penalties we could have easily one if we weren't rolling around in our own dung all second half. If this had been a close one with great play by both teams It would have played a bigger role but when we took a big dump like we did, its on us.

25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Soooo your telling me that it wasn't a close one? lol this is why I love reading your posts cause they are full of a huge steaming pile of ****. Ya the game was a blowout cause we didn't have a chance to go down and win the game at the end. Sometimes I wonder if you actually believe what you are saying or if you just like reading the dumb **** you say.

26. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    It was a blowout in everything but the score. Even without the penalties we were lucky that it wasn't a 20 pt loss the way we played.

27. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    We dominated the first half and went into half up 21-10.. 2nd half rivers **** the bed and despite that we had about 3 opportunities to win (pick,pick, and the worst 2 minute drill in the history of football)

28. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    The Way we are playing right now I think the BUngles are more contenders unless we shape up.

29. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Ya because we didn't straight up own them in the first half. lmao! Seriously I sometimes think you are like 9 in your mommy and daddy's basement. I also feel as if my intelligence drops by half everytime I read your posts.

30. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The officiating crew was horrible...this in no way excuses the Chargers for their poor play in the second half.
    That being said, the refs should call a balanced game and let the two teams decide the outcome. At least Seattle's "12th man" is in the stands....and not on the field in a striped shirt with a whistle and a yellow flag. I just hate that "home cooking".

Phantom PI calls and calling offsides when there is actually a false start on the offense...the league's head of officials should be embarassed...and Winter's crew shouldn't get a sniff of a playoff game.

31. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    So what? The whole game matters. Tebow threw 4 completions through 3 quarters but he played well when it mattered most.