1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Source: Antonio Garay fined $15K

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...-fined-15k-hit-tom-brady-new-england-patriots

The NFL fined San Diego Chargers defensive tackle Antonio Garay $15,000 for hitting New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady below the knee last Sunday, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    AP Photo/Charles KrupaChargers defensive tackle Antonio Garay was fined $15,000 for this hit to Tom Brady's knee.

The hit happened in the third quarter of the Patriots' 35-21 victory when Garay reached out his left arm into Brady's left knee. The Patriots quarterback ended up on the ground, his back arched and legs bent.

Brady, who escaped unscathed, on Monday credited the brace he was wearing on the knee for protecting him from a potentially devastating injury.
    "I'm glad I had a knee brace on," Brady said in his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio station WEEI.

"Those are scary when you've been through those ones before. He got me in a good spot and I'm glad the knee brace took the brunt of the force. Why I never wore a knee brace before (his season-ending ACL injury in 2008) I have no idea and why every quarterback doesn't wear one on their left knee I have no idea. It's just so unprotected."

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  3. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Maybe I wish the Chargers would move to LA this is getting BS. That way I would not worry about this kind of crap any longer. You cant go helmet to helmet and you cant go below the knee. The only thing left is the Puzzy!

5. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    That schtick is getting old.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I had to temper myself when hearing that my adopted boi (who tweeted my wife a 'haapy 20th anniversary message last night that made her day) got fined for this. Looking at the play (as I recall) it was not an intentional shot below the knees.

Ont the other hand, my distaste for Tom Terifuk is well documented, I HATE the guy. So I asked myself, would I be upset if it were River who took that hit.

Answer NO! I still do not see it as intentional. Leading with you helmet on a tackle is intentional. Trying to take out a QB is intentional. Soon the defense will not be abble to tackle or sack QBs. I am all for protecting passers including Tom Terifuk... But C'mon man.... Child Please!

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    so, dont read it

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    As that picture shows THE BALL IS STILL IN HIS HAND. If Garay did that after the ball was thrown, I can see the fine. But Brady didn't even THROW it yet. What's the next thing linemen are NOT allowed to do? Get dirt on the QB's skirt?

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Just put him in a skirt, I mean its not like he wears the pants in his own relationship

• Like Like x 1
  10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    To quote Step Brothers "Brady has a mangina! Brady has a mangina!"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Did Andre Carter get a fine for his vicious late hit on Rivers?

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    is not a matter if the QB still had the ball or not, is where Garay hit him (below the knee) that's the rule, I actually expected a flag in that play

13. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Surprised the Zebras didn't toss a flag for the "failure to kiss Mr. Terrific's feet" rule too. <grump>

Goes back to the old "all QBs are not protected equally" under actual rule enforcement argument.

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    we can always go to the ole school yard rules where it is 2 hand touch with the quaterback while he still has the ball, we used to love to level the quarterback.

15. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I wonder, since the new rule changes has it actually cut down on injuries to QBs? Were there that many more significant injuries before they put any of these in?

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I swear Brady is the most protected QB. Not only by he's line but evidently by the league as well.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    [​IMG]

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The ball hasn't even left his hand! It's a legit hit, just on the knee, and that really shouldn't be a fine.

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    very cool

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I thought he got blocked into Brady's knee, which is why there was no flag thrown on the play.

21. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Ridiculous. Refs didn't even throw a flag.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The reason they did not throw a flag is because Garay was knocked into Brady by the blocker. He did not go low on Brady. He was running at Brady and the blocker cut him and Garay fell into Brady's knees. I don't see anyway how Garay could have avoided that.

23. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    The rule is that a defensive player can't go for the knees. Garay was cut blocked and fell into Brady AKA mangina. Garay's initial contact was above the thigh pad and slid down. TOTAL B.S.

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Per Acee via Twitter:

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Um, the difference was that the officials on the field threw a flag on Carter because his hit was illegal based on the rules. Garay's was not. Obviously, I don't think the league is only interested in protecting Brady, but I wonder if the same hit would garner the same fine if it was Colt McCoy and not Tom Brady standing in the pocket.

26. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    weddle was fined to

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That one still baffles me. I did not see a penalty. The receiver went up to catch the ball and Weddle hit him to try and break up the pass. The hit was not late. He did not seem to be leading with his helmet or hitting the player in the head. Why was that a penalty?

28. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    I didn't post it because I agreed with the call, I just posted it because someone asked what about Carter.

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No doubt. That one pissed me off. What the hell else is a safety supposed to do? Weddle was trying to knock the ball loose and he gets called for it? Did he lead with his helmet? No. Put his shoulder into the ball. That's it.

Not that it mattered in the end. Just refs being refs.

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I guess the refs are gonna give a little leeway to Brady when enforcing the Brady Rule.
    Here's an article on it from a Boston sportswriter (couldn't find a NFL rulebook on-line, though admit searching for only 1 minute):
    So, according to that definition, if Garay was blocked into Brady, it's BS.
    Anyone remember at what point of the game it happened?