1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Source: Ex-Bear Vasher headed to San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Mar 27, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Apparently Vasher is gonna be a charger soon. Hows everyone feel?
    http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/03/source-ex-bear-vasher-headed-to-san-diego.html

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Getting vasher could really open the door to who we get with the first two picks. Rb for sure. The other pick now would be wide open on who they'd get.

Only worry with vasher is injury. He's gonna be a hit big time or miss player for us if we get him. Good thing is Rivera must know about him.

3. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Very true. I think he'll be fine since he prob won't be a starter anyway.

4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    He might be a starter if Cason can't handle it. After all, Vasher has experience and has a pro bowl season under his belt. This definitely means we aren't going to waste a high pick on a corner

• Like Like x 1
  5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I like that. Honestly Vasher has to be a more reliable player than cromartie!

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I like it... :yes:

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :turdspuke: :elephant:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    At least now we can put away this BS about getting a CB in the first two or three rounds

If he's got something left in the tank he'd be a good zone cornerback to put in the nickel role. He'll provide good depth and you could never have enough of that

So worse case scenario he doesn't make it out of training camp and at best he's a good backup corner

• Like Like x 1
  9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    :abq2::abq2::abq2: I'm soooo happy we can put all this crap about drafting a corner behind us.

On the other hand, I'd like to have seen this money go to Marcus McNeil's long term deal.

10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    yeh. AJ is probably trying to get the best deal. I sure hope he doesn't let go of mcneil somehow but i'm sure he won't. WHo do you think we'll draft now? Matthews and then Troupe?

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I still think we pick up a DB in the draft or after the draft...

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The chances of drafting a corner in round one were zip. If both Dan Williams and Matthews drop to us, as is possible, I expect Williams will be our first choice and then probably Dwyer in round two since Matthews likely won't be their. If Williams is gone it best be Matthews. Then, I would hope for Thomas. If that happens, I expect a trade of Sproles to get us another scat back. There are several that would be available, including Best. We might also trade Sproles for the chance at a top flight receiver or TE, to go opposite Gates. We could also do that to pick up a right tackle.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    We don't already have a top receiver in Jackson?:icon_huh:

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    As long as Vasher's groin has healed, then BRING IT. Vasher is a SMART player, like Jammer. Between the two of them, they'll bring Cason along and up to their level.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers likely to add Vasher

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 28, 2010 8:24 AM ET
    Free agent cornerback Nathan Vasher has found a new home.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers are close to signing Vasher.

Vasher was released by the Bears this month.

A 2005 Pro Bowler who has been injured and ineffective in the last three years, Vasher gives the Chargers some depth at cornerback after they traded Antonio Cromartie to the Jets.

In San Diego, Vasher will again play for defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and secondary coach Steve Wilks, both of whom coached Vasher in Chicago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/28/chargers-likely-to-add-vasher/

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers bring in free agent Vasher
    BY KEVIN ACEE, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    SUNDAY, MARCH 28, 2010 AT 12:05 A.M.

The Chargers made another free-agent move yesterday, and it involved another cornerback.

While Antoine Cason remains the likely replacement for the departed Antonio Cromartie, the Chargers are close to signing former Pro Bowler Nathan Vasher, sources said yesterday.

Vasher, 28, was released by the Chicago Bears earlier this month. He is expected to provide depth for the Chargers.

He has started just 11 games over the past three seasons because of a variety of injuries. But he had 16 interceptions from 2004-06. With the Chargers, he will be reunited with defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and secondary coach Steve Wilks, who coached Vasher in Chicago.

The Chargers’ only free-agent signings this offseason have been cornerback Donald Strickland, a journeyman who is expected to challenge Steve Gregory for the nickel job, and running back Marcus Mason, who has 32 career carries in one NFL season.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/28/chargers-bring-in-free-agent-vasher/

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    SDUTChargers
    ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO Chargers close to agreeing w/ with former Bears CB Nathan Vasher. He'll compete with Cason, but is more likely depth -- ka

19. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I like this move. It puts to rest the drafting a CB in the first round. He's a smart player and hopefully only good can come from this =)

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    How does he feel about tackling?

:flag:

21. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I like the addition, at least for it's potential alone.

22. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Good Signing, hope it happens today.

Vasher is a good tackler, like Cason and Jammer.

He's insurance in case Cason struggles or if one of our starters should get injured and miss a few games, he could step in and start.

With the Strickland signing, and then Vasher signing, I agree that we will not draft a corner with a High Pick. (I'll have to re-do my mock draft).

One thing about Vasher, he was a starting cb on that Bears team that went to the Super
    Bowl under Rivera. He's not that old.

This is a solid, solid, signing.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This makes me happy.

24. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    But according to so many here, AJ never signs any good FAs. :icon_tease:

25. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Good positive move to pick up Vasher. Hopefully he will be injury free during his time in SD.:tup:

26. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I like this. Certainly an upgrade in the maturity level.. :tup:

27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Solid pick up, win. he looks like hes got the cromartie talent but has a pair instead of a vag.

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Or using protection! :lol:

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    COme on man. It may be fun to degrade CRo Magnon but u can't say he's got none. I mean no woman could father 7 children in like 3-4 yearss with 6 different parters in 5 different states:icon_rofl::icon_rofl: I think cro's problem is that he acted like he had nun and no testosterone on the field and then he used it all off the field:icon_shrug:

30. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Solid pickup. I like the depth in our secondary now. He will push Cason to step up his own game, which is good. IMO we will have a much smarter group there than what we started the year off with last year (minus the two boneheads Hart and Cro)