1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Source: John Spanos won’t be Chargers G.M.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Nov 27, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Source: John Spanos won’t be Chargers G.M.

Posted by Mike Florio on November 27, 2011, 8:52 AM EST
    A recent item from Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune suggested that John Spanos, the son of Dean Spanos and grandson of Alex Spanos, could become the next G.M. of the Chargers. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that this won’t happen.
    “John Spanos will never serve as the Chargers’ general manager,” the source said. “Some day in the future he may be in a position over all of the team’s football operations and be responsible for hiring a general manager, but that’s well down the road and he will never be the team’s general manager.”
    Of course, if John Spanos, 32, is “overseeing” the football operations, he’ll be serving as the General Manager’s manager. Then again, every G.M. answers to someone in the organization, whether it’s a member of ownership or a president/CEO with no family relationship to ownership.
    In the end, then, it may just be a matter of semantics. The real question is whether and to what extent John Spanos will be actively involved in making football decisions, and whether he possesses the ability to do so.
    That said, it’s possible that John Spanos has acquired the ability to make football decisions. Since high school, Johns Spanos has been involved at all levels of the football business, from player evaluation to scouting to contract negotiations. He currently serves as the director of college scouting.
    Still, direct involvement in football decisions would be ironic, to say the least, given that the Spanos family apparently prohibits nepotism within the football side of the organization. It was the desire of former coach Marty Schottenheimer to hire his brother as special-teams coordinator that prompted Marty’s ouster.
    While nepotism often is necessary when it comes to the ownership of a professional sports franchise, allowing that concept to drift into football operations can be a problem. When a team fails, heads eventually need to roll — and nepotism keeps that from happening.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/27/source-john-spanos-wont-be-chargers-g-m/

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Wasn't Marty trying to hire his brother for DC and not Special teams coordinators as this says? I know that is only a minor detail, but I personally have a hard time believing things like this when there are errors in the piece

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yea follow the link in the article and it is correct. They must have been confused because he applied fro the ST job in San Fran.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, wasn't it Dean that was so against Nepotism, yet he has hired both of his sons?

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Maybe he was just being nice. Sound better than saying your son has no experience and he sucks.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It was his brother, and he had lots of experience. He was either a position coach or a DC in the NFL from 1987-2010 (DC between 1999-2003 for 3 teams). I am not saying he was good because I have no idea, just pointing out that he did have experience.

His son had been hired as the OC for the Jets the year prior

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Brothers, Sons, Sisters... Too many family members to keep up with. Now I see Deans point. :roflmao:

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yes, and it's his business, so he makes the rules. He made an exception for Marty to hire his son Brian, but he wasn't about to let Marty hire his whole family. Besides, Marty's brother Kurt sucked as a DC...... that's why he's no longer in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Kurt Schottenheimer was absolutely atrocious. Had never lasted more then three years with any team as DC and had been seen as one of the worst in the game.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Kurt's had 3 stints as Defensive Coordinator.

2 years in KC immediately after his brother left as HC, one year in Washington with his brother as HC, and then 2 years with that fearsome Detroit Lions defense in 2002 and 2003.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Marty was let go b/c it was either keep him or keep AJ. The Chargers chose AJ. The two couldn't play nice together and Marty's track record in the playoffs compared to AJ's success in building a stacked team (at the time) likely made that decision in the end. If those two could have gotten past their differences and played nice, I seriously doubt Marty would have been canned after the 14-2 season. No matter how it ended.

If this report came from Glazer, I'd buy into it, but since it's Florio vs Acee... I dunno who to believe, if anyone. I only know that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Johnny-boy became the next GM or even an interim until a permanent AJ replacement could be made. *shrug*

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]
    sdutChargers S.D. U-T Chargers

John Spanos may never be Chargers "general manager," but he WILL be doing AJ Smith's job one day. Call a chicken a dog, it'll still lay eggs
    3 hours ago

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Great, I can already see how this is going to play out.

John Spanos will be labeled the "President of Player Personnel" or some other title that basically says he's the boss of the GM while they hire some GM.

Then, while the GM (re: not John Spanos) does his General Manager duties, whenever something good pans out fans and media will credit the GM. Whenever something bullshit happens they'll blame John Spanos and give us this "well, we know who the real GM is here".

14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    or when Spanos screws up the blame goes to the GM. He will have job security by being able to change GM's. If Spanos is GM then daddy may have to fire him some day. Not having the GM tittle gives him more security.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    See. You're already getting a jump start.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Of course;). The whole idea of a Spanos making football decisions just gives me flashes of a Matt Millen Lions.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    But how do you know he's really the one making football decisions, as opposed to just having the final approval? (A dynamic that exists in any football organization)

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I will leave that to Kevin Acee to find out. ;)

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not arguing that. What i pointed out was that if they are going to use the nepotism argument as to why he shouldn't hire Kurt, rather than the "He sucks" argument", then it is just funny that Dean himself is doing the same thing

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Well... they can't really go into the other "family business" the investment realty market sucks balls right now and will continue to suck balls for a while until the lending industry gets out of the crapper.

And you can't expect the spoiled rich kids of spoiled rich parents to actually go out in the real world and find careers with their private school MBA's (this speaks more to A.G. than John I suppose, but I don't even know what John's degree is in though he's at least been getting some practical on-the-job training within the organization). I'll be honest, I actually think John has a great passion for this team, probably more so than anyone else in his family... I just don't think he has a great ability for the job does for this team he is so passionate about.