1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Source: Turner has begun contract negotiations with an 'unnamed team'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 2, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    EastCoastSportsNews.com is reporting that Turner's agent has begun contract negotiations with an unknown team and if things go well, a deal could go down this week.

My own sources say its the Bills

2. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Do your sources say that is with the intention of signing an offer sheet or is for a trade?

3. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    It would be the best back they have had since the mighty "Thurmanator".:tup:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    offer sheet from what I heard, makes no sense especially in light of the Schuab trade.

Two possible options
    1. THe team wants to see what it would cost to pay Turner long term to determine if its worth it to trade for him
    2. This is the start of trying to acquire Turner from his offer sheet

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    MTL said AJ would **** Marv Levy like 2 months ago, he wins :abq2:

6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    yeah........it would be

7. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Just do it already.

8. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

One of two things are gonna happen.

1. The Burner ends up in Buffalo, we get valuable draft picks, and I give you and your "source" mad props.

2. He's negotiating with a different team and I get to mock you and your "source" some more.

Either way, I win. :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Knock yourself out
    the turner negotiations aren't my source, buffalo is

10. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I think Turner can only do this if a trade has already been agreed to.

11. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    ..or they are signing him to an offer sheet.:icon_eek:

12. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    "Help me, Help you":icon_rofl:

13. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
    Yep !! Because a trade has already been agreed to in principle. :icon_eek:

14. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    He can negotiate anything he wants. He can only sign an offer sheet though.

He can negotiate all terms, then the team can go and work out a trade.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Turner in town visiting with Titans - Jim Wyatt - Nashville Tennessean

Chargers running back Michael Turner is visiting today with Titans officials at Baptist Sports Park.

Turner, a restricted free agent rushed for 502 yards and 2 touchdowns last season while playing behind MVP LaDanian Tomlinson.

Turner has been tendered at the highest level which means if the Titans signed him to an offer sheet, the Chargers would have the right to match it. The Bills are also strongly interested in Turner.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Turner is allowed to negotiate with anyone he wants. He's a free agent, just a restricted one.

Once they agree on the parameters of a contract, the Titans could then contact AJ about swinging a trade for less than a #1 and a #3. My guess is that if the Titans have bothered to bring Turner in they have:

1. Decided to sign Turner to an offer sheet and are prepared to give up the #1 and #3

or

2. Had serious trade discussions with AJ at the owners meeting and are pretty sure they can swing a trade.

I would take nothing less than the Titans '07 first round pick for Turner. That's what he's worth.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
    Maybe so. I was thinking about the recent schaub trade where just the opposite happened.

The clubs first worked out a deal. After that happened, the texans started negotiating a long term deal with schaub.

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I doubt they're signing him to an offer-sheet...unless they've decided to give us both a first-and-a-third. That would be great but somehow I doubt it will happen.

Assuming we're accepting less than a first-and-a-third this is how it will work.

1. Turner's agent will come to a hand-shake agreement on a contract with the new team. Likely the contract will be completely written and agreed-to by both sides but simply left un-signed.

2. The new team will then negotiate a trade deal with the Chargers. Assuming the two sides can agree on compensation, the process moves to step three...

(Steps 1 and 2 can also be reversed.)

3. Turner would then sign the tender offered by the Chargers. At that point, he becomes property of the Chargers and the Chargers can trade him for whatever they like.

4. The Chargers then execute the trade with the new team. Turner joins his new team and signs their contract, voiding the one-year $2.3 million contract.

5. AJ Smith uses the compensation to draft another all-pro caliber player and the Chargers go on to win 5 straight superbowls.

20. Daddy_O

Ratings:
    +300
    Imagine Buffalo with MT in the backfield. Holy Running Back, Batman! I think they will be a serious contender within 2 yrs if this occurs.:yes:

Then there is Tenessee. Damit. That puts us playing them in the AFC Championship Game for years to come.:tup:

The way I see it is both teams are on the verge of becoming immediate contenders. MT gives them a solid foundation in one of three areas required to be truely competitive, Offence, Defence, & Special Teams.:icon_huh:

Tenessee was showing some real talent towards the end of the season. Their Offence looked pretty good. All they needed there was a really good RB.:tup:

Buffalo already has a really good D and ST. With MT, they can address WR and TE in the draft. I bet Levy finally gets his Buffalo SB.:tup:

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Buffalo is on the verge of becoming a contender? How? They were fairly mediocre last year and they've lost alot more talented players than they've gained this offseason. I think Clements is a bit overrated, but he was the best corner on their team.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Since everyone is speculating, my money is on the Packers.....:bolt2:

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, the Burner's in Tennessee meeting with the Titans.

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Kicking it around .... for shits and giggles ........

On Gil Brandt's draft pick value chart, TENN's #19 pick is worth 875 points and a swap of 19 and 30 is only 255 points.

The Schaub point value was about 1000 points, and the Bears want more than the reported 1000 point offer in the swap of picks (6 and 31) the Redskins are offering for Briggs (see Kirwan article).

I don't know what numerical chart value AJ has placed on Turner, but a swap of first rounders with Tennessee, and giving up their 2nd round pick (#18, 50 overall) would net San Diego a total of 655 points.

655 points is approximately equal in value to the 28th pick in the first round.

255 points (trade up from 30 to 19) is equal to the 3rd pick in the third round.

TENN's 2nd round pick is equal to 400 points.

To match up to TENN's 1st round pick value (without directly having them give it) by doing a 1st round swap and giving SD their 2nd, leaves a 220 point shortage. That is equal to the 10th pick in the third round.

I'd propose making up the shortage with a conditional 2008 pick. Make it a 4th to start, but if Turner makes certain goals (say 1000 yards rushing) it bumps up to a 3rd round. If Turner makes the Pro Bowl or is in the top five in the NFL in rushing yards, it becomes a 2nd. A 3rd rounder in '08 is "fair" if the price AJ wants is equivalent to the Titans 2007 first round pick of 875. A 2nd round in '08 is "fair" if Turner produces big for the Titans.

But ...... I'd love to see TENN just sign him to the RFA offer sheet.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Packers are laying low in the weeds to let the pirahnas outbid themselves and then bam......

I would rather see Turner in the NFC instead of banging on our guys.

26. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    :tup: :yes:

What he said.

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Let's see what happens tomorrow

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    C'mon Ant quit holding out. What's your source saying? :icon_rofl:

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If you want to know
    says he still thinks it'll be the Bills and that Turner is making the rounds