1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: NFLPA orders draft boycott

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    An offseason turned upside down will continue to get odder.

The NFL Players Association is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending next month's draft in New York, according to multiple league sources. The NFLPA already has contacted 17 top prospects that ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft and informed them not to go.

Thus, when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announces the name of the first player selected, the player will not walk on to the stage at Radio City Music Hall as has been the custom. And the player will not be there to do interviews with ESPN or NFL Network. The draft will go on, but not in the manner in which it has been conducted before.

"As of right now, this is 100 percent happening," said one source familiar with the Players Association's thinking. "This is going down."

The Players Association even has gone so far as to consider placing the players on another competing network to do post-pick interviews, though no final decisions have been made. Another source said that, in this day and age, it's possible that the top prospects also could appear on a social media network platform, only.

"We plan to invite the 15-20 top prospects and their families to New York as we normally do for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. And, as always, it is the decision of the players and their families as to whether they attend," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in response to the report.

Yet another source suggested the NFL still could try to pay the incoming rookies to attend the draft, but it is something the league never has done in the past. The NFL has always paid the expenses for the invited players and their immediate family to attend.

Last Friday, the union decertified, meaning it declared itself out of the business of representing players. In exchange for giving up their rights under labor law, the players are able to take their chances in court under antitrust law.

Although it no longer represents players, the NFLPA still exists "as a professional trade association with the mission of supporting the interests and rights of current and former professional football players," it said after decertifying.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am sorry but this is B.S.!

Not because of anything going on in the NFL, but these young men have worked their time and it is not their fault that the Players and Owners are being A$Z clowns and cant get along.

To expect them to give up their time is just plain wrong IMHO!

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally agree. That is pretty lame

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That's what I thought the moment I saw it. That is a big day for those guys, and unfortunately the union...errr...whatever the f_ck they are now, will probably strong arm these kids.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I would actually draft whatever tells the union to go F themselves on this just based on principle alone. That shows character and willingness to stick to your goals as opposed to just follow along like a sheep.

If they're going to ask these kids to do this (and take one for the team) then at least name them as plaintiffs in the suit filed against the league and not just Von Miller.

The reason I say this is because, and I'm not sure many people are aware, that the last time the players sued the league in this similar capacity the players named as plaintiffs in the suit were asking - in their stipulated recompense and were the suit to have succeeded would have been granted - not being able to be franchise tagged over the entire course of their career. So yeah, rookies take one for the team, meanwhile Peyton, Brady, Brees, Mankins, and Vincent Jackson are seeking to gain more than any other player in the association stands to gain.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Y'all keep going and paying for games on direct tv, that will really show em. Screw em all, I don't care if they play another NFL game the greedy bustards. If the UFL or whatever they are were smart, they'd kick this coming season in high gear and knock on some players doors that are no longer under contract in the NFL.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Except that the UFL is bordering on broke. I wouldn't however be surprised to see the NFL (if they were smart) "pull a Microsoft" and invest money into the UFL. Presently the UFL is being sued by a medical supply company for breach of contract (I believe failure to deliver on terms of a sponsorship agreement after monies were already paid up front) and owes something in the range of $300,000,000 on a loan from Mark Cuban. Now, if the NFL owners were to pay down those expenses (It probably works out to something in the range of $10-15mill per owner) to build up the competition then the case of the PA that the league is an illegal monopoly would be significantly weakened because monopolies seek to eliminate the competition not strengthen it; Microsoft did something similar by investing in Apple when they were sued under anti-trust law.

Only setback I could see is that the willingness/ability to fork over that kind of money would probably hurt the case of the owners that they're not making enough money - not hugely because their contention was that they're "not making enough profit" not that they "can't afford" the current deal (unless they were complete morons because Collective Bargaining for Management 101 says under no circumstances to say "we can't afford"). Still, I don't see where it would do enough damage and it could be an instance of losing a battle to ultimately win the war.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    NFLPA is pissing away any goodwill it ever earned

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd rather see a league stand on it's own as the old AFL did and stay independent of the NFL. Football IMHO as we know it today, has gone straight down the shyter under the NFL rule. I'm tired of the whole mess and would just like to see football as it should be played without all the commercial hoop-pala. There comes a time when to much of a "good thing" ruins the soup and the NFL to me is plenty watered down these days.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    This is the most asinine thing I have heard in a long time. The NFLPA is defunct. They do not represent the players anymore so what the fuk should they have to say about it anyway. Screw the NFLPA on this one. They are wrong.

This is every kid's dream who ever played football. To be called on draft day, walk on stage get the hat and the jersey.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    You can't decertify to avoid bargaining and then act like a union in calling for draft boycotts and whatnot. I'm a political conservative but the National Labor Relations Board needs to throw the book and defunct Players Union. To show they mean business, it should also send them back to mediation table.