1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Sox start their run towards the World Series

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by BeerGuy, Oct 11, 2008.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    That was a very tight Game 1 last night.

Dice-K walks the bases loaded? Are you kidding me? In the first innning.....? It's like he just zones out, tries, but fails, to paint the corner of the plate. Next thing you know he's like, "Crap, I've got people in scoring position....I better get my head out of my rectum!" The stat last night that impressed me, though, was his record with the bases loaded. He's had that happen to him 18 times this season and not one run has been scored on him. He's money when he finds himself in a jam.

If we can manage wins while Pedroia and Ortiz are in a hitting slump we should be in good shape. Both are due to break out, and when they do, the runs will begin to mount against the Rays.

The Rays looked like a young team with too much adrenaline in their veins last night. They were trying too hard, and they were frustrated by Dice-K.

Dice-K is our THIRD starter.....not our ace.

Tampa will have their hands full for the next two games. If we go home Sunday with a 2-0 advantage the Rays will be so tense they'll hardly be able to swing a bat.

I say the Sox win, at home, in 5 games. That means that I sell LOTS of beer.:yes:

2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Pennant within reach after Rays' rout
    10/14/2008 11:10 PM ET
    By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

BOSTON -- A nearly limitless supply of runs, a strong start and timely defense moved the Rays to the brink of the World Series with a 13-4 win over the Red Sox in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series on Tuesday night in front of 38,133 at Fenway Park.

The Rays won for the 10th time in their last 13 meetings with the Red Sox and they now hold a 3-1 series advantage heading into Wednesday's off-day. Since 1985, the ALCS has produced three four-game sweeps, but in the other 19 series, the winner of Game 4 has advanced to the World Series 14 times. The Rays could move on to the Fall Classic with a win in Game 5 on Thursday night at Fenway Park.
    [​IMG]

Carlos Pena started the Rays' offense with a two-run homer in the first off Boston starter Tim Wakefield. Evan Longoria followed with a solo home run to put the Rays up, 3-0.

Willy Aybar added a two-out, two-run homer in the third to push the Rays' lead to 5-0 and chase Wakefield.
    Kevin Cash broke the ice for the Red Sox in the third inning with a solo home run off Rays starter Andy Sonnanstine in his first career postseason at-bat. The Red Sox added three more runs against the Rays right-hander, who allowed six hits in 7 1/3 innings to pick up the win.

The Rays' defense aided the right-hander's cause. After Longoria committed two errors on one play with one out in the second -- the Rays' first two errors of the postseason -- a nifty 4-6-3 double play erased the threat.

In the fifth, Mark Kotsay hit a drive to deep center field that appeared to be extra bases, but Upton seemed to find an extra gear and ran down the drive.

Meanwhile, the Rays' offense never seemed content with the number of runs it had on the scoreboard. Aybar singled home a run in the fifth and Pena, Longoria, Carl Crawford, Aybar and Dioner Navarro had RBIs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.

Crawford tripled in the eighth inning to drive in the Rays' 12th run to collect his fifth hit of the game, and Aybar followed with an RBI single to record his fifth RBI of the game to put the Rays up, 13-2.

3. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    For BeerGuy:

[​IMG]
    Dr. Rexy in da hizzle.

4. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Here, this is much better. This way, if the nickel advice isn't working I can fall back on all the free beer............:yes:

[​IMG]

5. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Damn...wish I'd of thought of this one sooner.......

[​IMG]

6. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Seeriously!:tup::nana_rasta::flail::lmfao:

7. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    FREE BEER? DID SOMEONE SAY FREE BEER???:icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast:

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Do the mucky mucks in the front office of MLB give a crap who goes to the WS?

Do they want the Rays with their $43,820,598 payroll in there? Would that be making a statement to Joe the Plumber that even ML baseball is screwed up with it's have's and have not's.

Or, would it make the statement "Hey! Look! Even the cheapest teams can compete!! Yeah, once every twenty years

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

9. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Trust me, MLB is HORRIFIED by the prospect of a Phillies/TB World Series. All week you will hear, and it's true, that this is the WS no one will see. It will be as if it never happened. That's a terrible thing to say, and I hate to marginalize what TB has accomplished, but the rest of the country just won't care about the Series.

If the Sox were in it at least people would tune it and root against them.

I project record low viewership.

As I type this the Sox are down 4-0 and I don't see the momentum changing. The Rays are a good, young team on a ridiculous hot streak. They will crush the Phillies.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You sure it the nail on the head. THe only thing MLB has going for it is the have not's hating on the have's. Playing the underdog card.

It's to bad it's come to that. They need to take a lesson from the NFL.

PS. Sorry about your Sox.

:tup:

11. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks. Not dead yet with that 4 run 7th and a shut down 8th by Pap.:yes:

12. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    7-7 going into the 9th!:icon_toast:

TB does NOT need a win from us tonight......

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    GAME ON!!!!!

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Son of a B.... damn you Boston, Damn you!!!

15. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Son of a gun, those Sox pulled one outta their azzes. They live to see another game at least.

I know several Sox fans that bailed on this game when it was 7-0.

Purely selfishly, I love watching one of my faves, Kotsay. He can field 1st base (not his usual position), he can hit and he can fly. He was just a portion of the comeback train.

I dont really like the Red Sox, but I like good, exciting baseball. And that's what that was.

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Those young TB players were already being fitted for their World Series uniforms.....the corks were unwrapped and the wire taken off.....

I predict that they will not recover from that loss.

They had the Red Sox' number, were thrashing them, and had every intention of stepping on our throat. The fact that the Sox stared an embarrassing defeat in the face, and, turned it around the way they did will severly undermine the confidence of that team.

Our big bats have been quiet. That began to change last night.

Josh Beckett, even injured and at 85%, is still a damn good pitcher. He's also backed into a corner. The pressure is on TB now regardless of the record within the series.

All the propaganda about the Sox coming back from 3-0 and 3-1 defecits before was just that, propaganda, UNTIL they brought the wood to the Rays last night. Now it's going to nag at Tampa. The reporters will ask them about it over and over. They are a young team and they have not been it any situation even remotely similar. I bet it really weighs them down.

IF the Sox can start early in game 6 they'll take the TB crowd right out of it and win the game.

IF they win game 6 the Rays will fold in game 7.

Saturday night is the World Series for the Boston Red Sox. Whichever team comes out of this series will win the World Series.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Congrats BG.

I did not stay up for the whole game.

If the Sox come back, I'm going to seriously climb on the conspiracy theory!!! :lol:

Good Luck!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

18. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks.

Hitting my Q4 volume bonus would be a lot easier if the Sox got into the World Series again.:yes:

Best case scenario would be a game 7 World Series win.....:icon_toast:

19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    HUGE game tonight. GO RED SOX!!!!!!

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, you seem like a good dude BC,

but, I'm just not sure I can root for a NE team

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    That's cool, I can follow your lead and, "embrace the hate."

The Sox just won game 6.

Tampa is toast. They will lose to the Sox in game 7 and I'll be at game 1 of the World Series next week.:yes:

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

OK, DAMN YOU BG!!

I'M BETTING SOME HARD EARNED BOLT CASH ON THE SOX TONIGHT!!!

YOU BETTER NOT LET ME DOWN!!

:lol:

23. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Congrats to the Rays, they deserve it. The "bats" didn't show up tonight.

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    DAMN YOU BG!!

Well, I think I've found the secret to vBookie.

Take the team I want to win and bet against them!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

Anyways, I'm happy for the Rays, but I would rather have seen Sox vs. Dodgers

that would have made for some good ball.

:yes:

25. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and how are you going to do that with the Raiders?

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

prolly won't have any vCash by then!!

:lol: