1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SP - Value?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Anyone know what SP's value as trade bait might be right now. I think it is time to pull that trigger. This guy is starting to do my head in. He still has so much growing up to do and has now started the Merriman thing on Twitter i.e. moaning.

Larry English can hopefully step in and replace him, and Applewhite should come back from that injury. Maybe we could package him with our no. 1 and move up?.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, I'm pretty much done with the guy too. If we could offload him for decent compensation, I'd package a few picks to move around in the 2nd for another OLB type - maybe Hughes outta TCU.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

"I'm sad because all my favorite teammates are leaving to go and play for other teams."

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i have my own issues wiht him but is that really a bad thing to say? That he's upset that the team lost alot of people he refers to as friends. Seriously?

5. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    yeah, really not so much moaning.. I'd be sad too if most/all my buddies were moving across the country in the same 3 month period...

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Nope not a bad thing just a sign of his immaturity imho. He has so much growing up to do.

7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    well, two workers (not heroes) will stay.

Acee's on SOSD: The Chargers kept one of their backup tight ends but lost another yesterday on the first day of free agency.

Kris Wilson, the team’s third tight end the past two years, has apparently moved up the depth chart. He resigned with the Chargers, agreeing to a two-year deal.

Wilson has impressed coaches with his blocking skills and his play on special teams.

His ascension to No. 2 behind Antonio Gates owes more to Brandon Manumaleuna signing a five-year deal with the Chicago Bears. Manumaleuna had been an excellent supplement to Gates since 2006 but chose to reunite with Mike Martz, the Bears’ offensive coordinator who was Manumaleuna’s coach in St. Louis from 2001-05.

The Chargers also re-signed defensive lineman Alfonso Boone, agreeing on a two-year contract.

8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Packaging him with our 1st rounder wouldn't like happen just for the fact that this team is letting people go and creating more and more spaces to fill.

However, we let LT walk with no compensation thus creating a need at RB.

We let Jamal Williams go on an already thin line, with no compensation creating an even bigger need on the Dline.

We traded Cromartie for a pick that doesn't come until next year, creating a need at CB.

Trading our first, and Phillips to move up in the first will create another need at OLB.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Couldn't have said it better myself.:tup: And even if we do get picks in the 2010 draft for SP the player would be a ROOKIE! Not making us better, and like I've said before we are a team trying to win a Super Bowl right now.

Merriman has no future here past 2010, and I get the feeling he doesn't want to be here anyway, so I'll make an exception for him.

10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Phillips is a one-trick edge rusher with a bad attitude, poor coverage skills, and extreme consistency issues. He seems to come out to play more frequently against the Raiders and Chiefs of the world than when we actually need a pass rush.

He is an Osi U clone, only Osi is better. I am not saying that this team has no place for Phillips or that he cannot make a positive contribution, but I am saying that his limited skillset and notable baggage makes him very expendable.

11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I think Merriman wants out of here for 2 reasons.

1) He sees all his buddies getting out of here and leaving for other destinations.

2) Probably the biggest of them all, is that since he has been in San Diego, that city has been pretty crappy as far as karma goes for him. You see I think he wants out because he thinks if he changes teams that his past will vanish...(steroids, Tia Tequila...etc)

Some people just want to get a fresh start, and I think his agent and publicist have probably told him that, creating a change in his attitude about this football team.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Agree with both, but I also think Merriman is just an east coast guy. He's talked about wanting to play with Lavar Arrington in Washington and Ray Lewis in Baltimore in the past. Washington is switching to a 3-4 this year.....possible trade partner?:icon_shrug:

I also think he wants his payday and he knows AJ is extremely unlikely to give it too him, and he'd rather get paid sooner rather than later.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Merriman is actually publicly saying he wants to stay but he will go, not because he wants to, but because AJ wants him gone, simple as.

As for losing SP means we need a new OLB, I don't necessarily agree. Larry is there as is Applewhite.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    He's playing the victim card.

He has enough red flags on his character without making it look like he's forcing his way out of town.:yes:

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I agree. He played college ball at Maryland. He would like to go back to that area.

16. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Do you guys remember 2008. When the defense who under Teddy C had improved from 7th in 2006 under Wade Phillips to 5th. Then when Meriman was hurt and had surgery we dipped to 15th because of no pressure and pass rush.

So now you want to go with a still unproven 2nd year guy who untill last years part time duty played with his hand in the ground on Saturdays in a 4-3 and a career ST player who was a UDFA. Given Applewhite as a fill-in oart-timer has shown some promise but don't get carried away here. Remember Tuckr who is still here also,he has this 3 sack one fumble game and we sign him to like a 3 year deal and what did he do in 2008 when Meriman was out.

It is a good business decision to wait on Meriman and make sure he can perform at his previous level before we commit a huge amount of money his way in his next contract. He will be here this year, because for the same reaso we won't sign him now (Health) no team will do it either. But next year if he does make it back to form, we have two options, Franchise Tag or sign him long term.

I am not sure how current AJ gripes with Merriman are, he stopped doing that Fox TV football show in 2009 which was at the top of AJ's list.

As far as Shawn Phillips goes, he had a real productive year, he let emotion in the Jet game get the better of him, but this stuff about him going out on nights when he is allowed is really none of anybody elses business. He has never been fined or suspended by the team for any of it. When English takes away the starting job for either of these guys then talk to me about trading one of these two guys who start.

We have football games to win here, making a key area weaker IMO is not the way to do that, AJ knows that. Why do you think he thought it was so important to get English last year when Merriman staus was still uncertain following the surgery. Most thought we would go ILB with our first pick or maybe RT or RB but nobody had us getting an OLB.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Why the hell would we get rid of one of our defensive anchors?

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Maybe he should have thought about that about 0.02 seconds BEFORE he headbutted some Jets dude in the biggest game of the year.

SIDEKICK. That's all he is. W/out Merriman taking up the double teams he's nothing.

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You're absolutely right. He is a sidekick. He's not a superstar. But he's a sidekick who's proven he can get double digit sacks when Merriman is at full strength. That's a pretty damn good sidekick. SP has always had some maturity issues, but I believe the team is better with him than without him.

That being said, SP needs to grow the phuck up. He's always been immature and too emotional.

The whole, "He's whining on twitter" thing is just stupid. This isn't Junior High girls volleyball. Who gives a **** that he says he's sad to lose teammates. It just shows that these guys are a tight knit group.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you saw more of the crap that he posts on twitter, you'd realize what an emotional & mental midget he really is. Constantly talking trash about women is just a start.

AJ may make a move with this putz yet.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think he is probably worth a solid 3rd, maybe a Comp pick similar to what Cro got us. But maybe a 3rd thins year would be better than hoping for a 2nd next year. If he were to get traded, we would need all the draft picks we can get

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    SP is going nowhere. This is a pointless discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Unfortunately, I think you are right

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ tell you that? :abq2:

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    have you noticed that nobody wants LT? and he's a FA (no comp needed)

you can't just say, "we let player X go without compensation", to get it you need to trade someone another team wants

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yep, we had lunch yesterday and he let slip his evil plans to dismantle this POS team.:icon_tease:

Come on we have so much turnover happening right now with LT, Williams, and Cromartie gone. Plus Sproles and Merriman arn't a lock to stay, and we havn't re-signed Vjack, McNeil, or Floyd.......so why create more problems than we already have by getting rid of a solid veteran player.:icon_shrug:

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Aren't pointless discussions what forums are all about?

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Touche':lol:

29. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    LT has quite a few teams looking at him. He's met with Minnesota and New York, and I believe is scheduled to meet with the Saints as well. No-one has turned him down or said that they didn't want him. He's the one that mentioned he wasn't going to sign with anyone until he's met the other teams as well. The fact that he's resigned to play the 3rd down back thing I think makes him very valuable to a team like minnesota. He talked to AP while he was there as well, and I'm sure that meeting went well.

No team is going to jump to sign an aging veteran back at the beginning of the free agency, but he will get signed, and it'll be a decent deal, I'm sure.

30. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Then I guess that makes you the Grand Marshall of the Pointless Parade.