1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spanos credits Turner for turnaround

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Dec 30, 2009

When Chargers President Dean Spanos reflects on the season, the past year and the past decade, he’s proud of the way the team has given it’s all on the field as well as to the San Diego community.

How enjoyable has this 10-game win streak been for you?
    “It’s great. Obviously we started off slow for a lot of different reasons. That seems to be the character of this team the last few years, and for different reasons. It happened to be injuries this year at two key positions: our offensive and defensive lines. Our backups and some new players came in and the more they played, combined with some good coaching from Norv Turner and his staff, they started playing so well as a team and got on a run.”
    Sitting at 2-3 in late October, could you have envisioned such a strong turnaround?
    “You always think you’re going to win every game. That’s how I think, but it doesn’t always work out that way. Winning is contagious, just like losing is. Once we got three or four games under our belt, I think the team gained so much confidence that they believed they were going to win every game. The psychological part plays such an important role when you start winning.”
    Where do you give the credit for the turnaround?
    “It’s the players on the field obviously, but the catalyst that makes it all happen is the head coach. He’s the one that directs the team; he’s the one that puts the game plans together. He gives them the direction and the means to go out there, but they still have to go play. I think the catalyst for the whole thing is Norv Turner. It starts with him.”
    Is there one characteristic Norv has that you think has been instrumental in the team’s success?
    “Consistency. Norv is very consistent. He believes in what he’s doing and you never see him deviate from what he believes in. I believe very strongly that the players see that, they sense that, they understand and they respect that.”
    In your opinion, should he be considered as a candidate for NFL Coach of the Year?
    “Obviously I’m biased. I just think he’s done an incredible job the last three years and I’d like to see him considered. He deserves to be considered.”
    There have been rumors about a possible contract extension for Coach Turner.
    “As I said before, we typically address those issues at the end of the season and that’s our plan right now. I think it’s clear and it’s been clear from my comments how I feel about the job he’s done the last three years. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as do the players and the entire organization.”
    With the Pro Bowl teams being announced this week, how do you feel about the players who have been named and are there any that aren’t on the list that you think should be?
    “The five Pro Bowlers that made it from our team deserve to be there. In my mind, there are always players that don’t make it that should. I think Mike Scifres[​IMG] is one for sure that should be a Pro Bowler. He’s somebody that people should take note of because he’s one of the best punters in the league.”
    Speaking of postseason awards, Philip Rivers[​IMG]’ name is starting to be mentioned in MVP talk. Do you think he’s deserving?
    “Of course he is. Look at his stats; look at his record, especially late in the year. He’s really the leader on the field right now and this whole team believes in him.”
    How do you think Norv has helped Philip’s development?
    “If you look at Norv’s history, he’s one of the best at bringing a young quarterback along and making him into a seasoned veteran. I’m sure Philip would say the same thing.”
    You and other organizational leaders have stated time and time again that the goal is to qualify for the postseason and then see what happens. What are your thoughts on having the first-round bye?
    “It’s a double-edged sword. You can make an argument that you can keep playing, but when you look at our team, we have some injured players we’d like to get healthy for the playoffs. You don’t want to lose momentum, but we’ve been there before. We had the top seed back in 2006. We learned from that experience and we’re not going to lose perspective of how important momentum is. The one thing that I think Norv has stressed is we’re practicing next week just like we would if we were playing that Sunday. We’re not going to go out of our normal routine and we’re not going to lose our momentum.”
    What does it mean to the City of San Diego to get to host postseason football and how do you expect the excitement in the city to be surrounding the playoffs?
    “There’s an undeniable bond, connection between this team and the people of San Diego. It’s exciting for them. It’s exciting for the community. If you just walk around downtown, everybody is wearing Chargers hats and Chargers shirts. A lot of people are out of work right now and it’s tough times, but I think (the team’s success) has proven to be unifying and uplifting for the community.
    Mark Fabiani recently discussed the necessity of public funds for the site currently being talked about for a Super Bowl-quality stadium in San Diego. What did you think of the public reaction?
    “I think there’s still a lot of discussion needed to help everyone’s understanding of the issues involved, such as redevelopment funds versus an increase in taxes. This (idea) is still in its infancy right now; we’re not even sure it’s possible. There are all sorts of issues relevant to that particular site downtown, but it was something that was suggested by the mayor and we’re taking a look at it.”
    Are there any new developments on the stadium front?
    “We’re keeping an open mind to any ideas that people have. The downtown site has the support of a lot of people, and many people have urged us to take a look at it, so that's exactly what we're doing.”
    As you look back on 2009, what are you most proud of?
    “I really want to give our players and our staff a lot of credit for stepping up and making a difference in the community. You look at today’s economic times and how many people are really struggling because they don’t have a job or other struggles in their lives. There are a lot of things our players, coaches and staff do in this community that people don’t see or know about. They give their time and resources to help organizations and individuals too numerous to mention; helping the less fortunate in so many different ways. Everybody in our organization has stepped up. That’s a great thing and something that I’m really proud of.”
    What are your thoughts as you reflect on the past decade?
    “A lot has changed in the last 10 years. When I think back on the past decade, we were a struggling franchise back in 2000 and 2001. When you look at where we were then to where we are now, I know I’m biased, but I think we’re one of the most consistent and winningest franchises in the league. We’re the third-winningest franchise in the NFL over the last six years. I think we’ve proven we can play with any team in the league and we have just as good a chance to win a World Championship as anybody.
    “It started with John Butler. He wasn’t here long enough to carry out his dream, but he put together a staff that was in place after he passed away and he really laid the foundation for what you see today. A.J. (Smith) has different ideas and a different approach, but he’s done a tremendous job. And he’s here because John brought him here. You have to give John and A.J. a lot of credit.”

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    As good as the team has played and how well-coached we have been, it ultimately all starts at the top.

Spanos and A.J. are football-savvy guys--nothing ever goes to waste under their watch, and difficult choices always have a good reason, even ones like letting Turner go (whose playstyle is starting to lead to injury) and promoting Rivers as "the guy" when it was inevitable that Brees played his final game as a Bolt.

With these two, we should have a quality franchise for years and years. :abq1:

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    FIRE NORVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:icon_tease: :no::icon_rofl:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Not to be pessimistic but too much celebrating too soon.
    It's not even post season yet!!!

There is A LOT of reason to be optimistic going into the post season but I'm a firm believer of "don't count your chickens before they hatch!!!'

We win it all, I'll give all credit due to Norv.

5. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    This is the most optimistic post B4L has ever made (when Norv was the subject)! B4L you are right...don't count your chickens before they are hatched...but damn it is fun to enjoy the teams success...Norv has got to be given credit for making and preparing the team for the playoffs...time will tell if we are truly prepared!

I feel a good new year coming!:abq1:

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hear you but what we are seeing now, I don't think we would have seen less if Marty were still in charge.

I feel good about going into post season too!!! :bolt:

7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I am confused. You have continually blamed Norv whenever we do bad. You say that we could of done the same if not more with Marty. You say he was handed the keys to one of the best teams in the league and barely had to do anything.

YET

You believe in not counting your chickens before they hatch.

It seems to me that you do the counting only when it suites you.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'll make it so easy that a cave man can understand it...

WIN THE FREAKIN'
    SUPER BOWL!!!

Any questions?

9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    It's looking like quite the possibility!

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That was all I wanted marty to accomplish, but, he couldn't even win a playoff game. Marty had a Rolls Royce and couldn't even get it it out of park.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

The article was talking about the turnaround this season.

12-3. I'm pretty sure there is only one more egg.

:icon_huh:

I think it's appropriate to celebrate a great turnaround in the regular season, unless of course the regular season is meaningless to you in which case I would question why you bother gong to the games.

:icon_toast:

12. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    How do u figure that? Did Marty ever win a playoff game in San Diego? I believe he has the worst playoff winning percentage of all time for coaches who have coached 10 playoff games or more. Marty was a choke artist in big games

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    There's a gleam in this thread!!

:lol:

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Is it coming from B4L's dome?

:flag:

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Who's celebrating?

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You, me, and everyone who doesn't belong to B4L's exclusive hangout...

CLUB MISERABLE

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    fixed

:flag:

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I don't think it is possible to have a discussion on this forum about Norv without B4L taking a big **** in the middle of the discussion. This is getting ****ing tired.

19. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    +1, it is getting more annoying with each pass. :tdown:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I still don't love Norv Turner, but I do think he and Philip are soulmates. :lol:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hmmmm. Didn't realize the forum rules were that you're either cloud 9 happy or stone cold miserable... well I'm braking those rules and taking some middle ground.

I'm happy with the way this team is playing but I'm not going to create a new 12-3 title to put next to my self made 07 AFCC loss title.
    I like our chances of winning the Super Bowl but I'm not going to celebrate it yet.

We win the whole damn thing... I'll be on Cloud 9 too.

Oh... in my "exclusive hangout," middle ground is allowed.

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    There are no forum rules, but you have nothing new to say regarding Norv so your "thoughts" on the subject are old, tired and well known. So why not spare us all and stop repeating the same **** over and over and over.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I don't think anybody is doing either of these two things.

This is where you keep failing by assuming otherwise.

There's a HUGE difference between crediting a coach with (albeit limited) success and being satisfied with that (limited) success.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Then stop asking the same questions over and over.

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :icon_huh: What question?

How about you just ignore any thread that has Norv in the title or just do 1 post of "norv sucks" and then leave the thread? That's all your post about Norv equate to anyway.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Oh... I guess I should also mention... calling me out.

Scroll though this thread and the other and count how many times my name is mentioned by other posters.
    Count how many posts are strictly about me.

I find it really funny how many of you can post about me and/or quote me 24/7 and if I respond... you get upset. If I don't respond, you push it until I do and then whine about it.

Either way... the whine cellar is ALWAYS open! :yes:

Anyway, start counting.
    Example: What dose this post have to do with Norv?

"You, me, and everyone who doesn't belong to B4L's exclusive hangout...

CLUB MISERABLE

Not that there's anything wrong with that."

NOTHING!!!

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I don't think you're on "club miserable" but you seem to think that we're not allowed to display our happiness in the form of posts on a message board regarding the current standing of the team and the excellent (yes: excellent) job Norv has done coaching the team to this point because if we do it somehow means we don't care about a Super Bowl.

I don't have to be satisfied with the team's amount of success as is to credit Norv with doing an excellent job to this point in time.

Yes, he needs to win the Super Bowl. Yes, I'll be upset if he doesn't, but that doesn't negate the fact that as things stand right now he's doing a great job.

He just needs to keep doing a great job through the playoffs...but that goes without saying.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Really? :icon_rofl:

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Norv is doing a great job with this team, look at the W-L record and even and idiot can see that. Hell an idiot wouldn't be dense enough to say he wasn't.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I still say anything less than a Super Bowl is unacceptable.

Of course, I'd say that with any head coach. :lol: