1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spanos, LT talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 15, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/spanos-lt-talk.htm
    Spanos, LT talk

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009
    By Bill Johnston, Chargers.com
    The Chargers’ recent run to the playoffs lifted the spirits of a community like nothing else. Nothing elicits emotion and passion in San Diego like the Chargers.

That emotion and passion is clearly evident now as rumors swirl around the team and decisions it must make in the coming months.

It’s an emotional business, yet a business best run without emotion.

“Winning a Super Bowl for San Diego has always been and will always be our mission,” said team President Dean Spanos. “We are San Diego’s team and we owe that to the people who care about and support this team.

“We can’t let our emotions taint our decisions. We owe it to our fan base and the City we represent to make sound decisions that will help us win a Super Bowl.”

The questions to be discussed are many right now at Chargers Park.

What coaches can be added to help the Chargers win a Super Bowl?

What players on the roster give them the best chance to win?

What players are getting better and what players have peaked and started to drop off?

What players can be added, and at what positions, to ensure success?

Should the new faces be rookies acquired through the draft or veterans available on the free agent market?

Given the restraints of the NFL’s salary cap, how do they keep every player they want to keep?

Again, given the limitations of the salary cap, what does the team do with such key players as Darren Sproles, Malcom Floyd and nine others whose contracts are due to expire next month?

And how do they do that while also leaving enough money to sign this extensive list of top players – Philip Rivers, Vincent Jackson, Shawne Merriman, Tim Dobbins and Marcus McNeill among others – whose contracts expire after the upcoming season?

The number-one question being discussed by the Chargers’ faithful today is the future of running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Speculation and rumor are running wild.

Tomlinson and Spanos have become close over the years, and the team’s owner called his friend Thursday to explain the process and everything the team must take into account in the months ahead.

“We talked about the situation and I just tried to explain everything that must be considered,” said Spanos. “I told him we haven’t even started our discussions and won’t for awhile, so don’t jump to any conclusions. And I told him I would call him personally to make sure he’s aware of everything that’s going on.”

Could the team do what was once unthinkable and part ways with its future Hall of Fame running back, a player whose list of accomplishments is long but whose time on the field may be running short?

“I wish we knew the answers to all of these questions now, but we don’t,” said General Manager A.J. Smith. “We want our evaluation process to be as thorough as possible. We always start with open minds and with the same goal every year: put together the team that gives us the best chance to bring a championship to San Diego.”

According to the NFL calendar, teams cannot release players until Feb. 9, can’t designate Franchise Players until Feb. 19 and can’t make trades until Feb. 27.

That is why the team, according to Smith, takes this time to assess its position and options. It also provides enough time for the dust to settle on an emotional ending to a season and assure its judgments are based on solid facts for the future and not on the intense disappointment following a season unfulfilled.

“It’s important that we take the time necessary and get input from all of our coaches and personnel people and don’t make rash decisions,” said Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    With all of the rumors flying around, I'm glad that someone had enough respect for a Charger legend to at least say something.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    AMEN TO THAT!

:clap:

Hooray for acting like grown-ups! :abq2:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Good read. Thanks, boltmanbz!!!

5. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Maybe now some of this ridiculous, media created panic can end.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    What a difficult thing to do. A san diego legend on the downside of his career.

I'm guessing spanos asked just what ladanian thought. And then laid out what he thought.

In case no one has forgot. It is a team game. To have a good team you have to have enough good players. I'm guessing emmitt smith got the same thing as did edgerrin james of the colts when they're careers were winding down..

7. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    :bolt::bolt:I have a feeling this will work out in the end and LT will stay here at least for another season. I am only worried about the Condon and AJ situation. AJ is the GM I would want if I had a team, and LT is the RB I would want if I were a GM. I still say we draft a RB first round if he is the best player at our position. While I am still craving Charger football I am looking forward to the draft and our possibilites in 2009. Go Bolts!:bolt::bolt:

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    If LT is going to stay here this is what has to happen (I think) 1. LT will have to restructure his contract and have to backload it to reduce that 8 Mil+ Cap figure. Say 3 years and a big signing bonus and backload the heck out of it in year 3 so if they end up dumping him, they won't take the cap hit. AJ and Condon will have to get along and that won't be easy since AJ has parted with almost ALL of Condons people here. I do think LT has given his heart and soul to this team and city and has been a model citizen in the community so I think AJ and Dean owe him in terms of working out a way he can stay and retire a Charger. I just don't think you unceremoniously dump a local Icon like LT.

But then again they dumped Seau so what do I know.......

9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I do think LT has given his heart and soul to this team and city and has been a model citizen in the community so I think AJ and Dean owe him in terms of working out a way he can stay and retire a Charger. I just don't think you unceremoniously dump a local Icon like LT.

But then again they dumped Seau so what do I know.......[/QUOTE]

True...but Seau was the face of a team that had 1 amazing season in 1994 and a lot of average ones. LT has always hinted at taking the "Barry Sanders" approach and walk away while still near the top of his game, preferably with at least one Super Bowl ring. I'm betting he will be here 1 to 2 more years and then hang it up. The Chargers are close, I'd like to see him holding the Lombardi trophy while still sporting lightning bolts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    When Joe Montana was traded, and Jerry Rice was released, I knew that nobody is ever safe with an NFL team. I love LT, and hope he can stay with the bolts, and if he doesn't, I hope they do have full communication with him.

11. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Correctamundo!:tup:

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, I hate to say it. But thats how the game is played.

We all love LT and always will. But time is gonna pass. And things are gonna change.

13. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    all i know is that LT and any other player on the team right now will eventually be gone, and i'll still be a charger fan.
    so, we can think what we want and post our thoughts but at the end of the day we're just fans and i'm ok with that.
    fire norv, cut LT, sign plax, yadda yadda yadda, whatever...
    go bolt.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    2 things interest me...

AJ was not involved. Seems like Dean was alone on this. I guess there is not alot of love lost between LT and AJ esp from LT to AJ. LT carries the losing of Brees as a grudge methinks.

Big Bill wrote it. They rolled out the heavyweights for this one. I reckon Bill was involved in getting Dean to so 'something' what with all the negative PR/media coverage we were getting.

Bottom line I reckon LT will have to re-structure to stay. I cannot see them staying together with the existing cap hit.

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Restructure to stay, what a load of crap. But this is par for the course in San Diego. The Pads did it with Tony Gwynn too. In regards to AJ, he's an egotistical prick, who hasn't drafted squat since Marty left, and lost his other lifeline last year when Nix called it quits.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'm real worried too now that Buddy is gone from the engine room.

Although I don't think Cason, Weddle, Naanee are 'squat'. Also, our highest pick the last 2 years has been 27, not like when we picked 19, 12 and 1 (when Marty and Buddy were here!).

No doubt though we need to find a stud at pick 16.

17. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Just the fact that they have anything to consider regarding LT says a lot.

18. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I dont know why everyone thinks that the salary cap is an issue. The Bolts are 15 million under the cap for '09! I can think of way better places to make cuts.

2008 Salaries and the Cap value of each player.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=26&year=2008&loc=interstitialskip

LT is still a solid performer. WAKE UP CALL TO ALL THE DOUBTERS....HE WAS INJURED!

Gates had his worst year since was a rookie. You wanna cut him too?

Bottom line...with LT we are still a serious running threat! With out him we will no longer have a run game (Sproles is more of a passing threat)

19. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    there isnt another team that will pay a 30 year old RB that has had injury after injury for the last 2 years 8.8 mill

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    fixed it for you

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    to start off we have 15 mill cap to sign everyone that already needs to be resigned PLUS keep some room open for next years as well.

now as for LT, lets be honest, the guys still got some in himself, but he doesnt make this team the running threat it used to be, i love what LTs done for us i really do, but he was totally healthy for most of the denver game was he not? he had a 22 yard run or something like that late in the game and after watching that run i knew that LT was not the same lightning bolt that we are used to, he doesnt have the SAME burst as he did a few years ago, if he ran that play during his MVP year, he woulda been GONE, but he turned the corner, gave it some gas and quickly ran outta gas. remember, this IS a business, whenever theres money involved, its a business, i mean i think aj has the hardest decision to make since seau

22. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    A toe injury would mean his conditioning isn't comparable to what it was in '06 either, and that has nothing to do with his age.

All of you doubters will be eating crow next year when LT has a huge comeback season, and does it as an "old man".

Trading LT would be a huge mistake. Who's going to take up the slack, Sproles and Bennett? :lol:

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    LT is the same running back, getting older but not slower. His lack of production has been due to injuries and less than stellar performance from the offensive line coupled with the team's turn to Rivers as the main offensive weapon. He should continue as a Charger because that will be what is best for the team. There is no running back like LT and we need that guy suiting up for the Chargers.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Let's see, 15 mil cap LT 8.8. Yeah, I think we should give him the dough and let the rest of the team walk. :no:

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    15 mil cap. What is this 1960? :icon_rofl:

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thanks son. :icon_eek:

27. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Dudes restructure all the time on every team. Could we please stop pretending like it's only A.J. Smith and San Diego doing such things?

I have had this discussion with a good friend before. Do you want a team with all of your favorite players on it, or do you want a team doing what's necessary to remain competitive over the long haul?

• Like Like x 2
  28. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Exactly, Manning has restructured several times to allow the Colts to have some cap space, same thing with Brady. Those are just 2 examples off the top of my head, and both of those guys were in their prime when they were asked to restructure.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess the owners and GMs of those teams were as*holes for even suggesting such a thing?

People crack me up with their reactionary bullshit! :lol:

30. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Damn cheep *** loser owners!!!! They'll never win with owners/gms like that... uh wait nevermind..

:lol: