1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spanos now must dare to be great

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 1, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Written by

Tim Sullivan

Abraham Lincoln would have fired Norv Turner by now. Possibly twice.
    The Great Emancipator was unsurpassed in freeing underperforming people from their posts, rolling heads figuratively like Robespierre did literally. He cut a terrible, swift swath through Union commanders until he found the general who could win the big one.
    Before settling on Ulysses S. Grant, however, Lincoln twice tried George McClellan and once overcame his own objections to take a flyer on “Fighting” Joe Hooker.
    “I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator,” Lincoln wrote to Hooker during the Civil War. “Of course, it is not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain successes can set up dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.”
    The preceding paragraphs are aimed at a target audience of one: Chargers President Dean Spanos. If both Turner and General Manager A.J. Smith are destined for unemployment — a conclusion at least likely if not yet inescapable — the Bolts’ boss should not shrink from bold choices and powerful personalities.
    He must dare to dazzle.
    Spanos needs to recapture the imagination of a fan base trending from frustration toward apathy and to rebuild public confidence in a franchise that may be seeking public funds next fall for a new stadium. The quickest way to achieve those goals, and to change a tone that is growing toxic, is to create instant credibility with a high-impact hire.
    The usual suspects would include Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden — all of whom have won Super Bowls in this millennium — and the field of candidates may soon expand to include such luminaries as the New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin and/or Philadelphia’s Andy Reid.
    None of those names may be realistic. Cowher, for one, is probably too close to Marty Schottenheimer. Dungy, associates believe, is done with coaching.
    Yet faced with significant erosion in his season ticket sales and no viable stadium alternative in Los Angeles, Spanos could sure use dynamic leadership that is neither uncomfortable in front of a microphone (Turner), invisible during a crisis (Smith) nor new to command (career coordinators). He needs a frontman or front men with the credentials, the passion and the persona to energize both his customers and his players.
    The default position here is that coaching style is vastly overrated; that demonstrative extroverts like Cowher and Mike Ditka are no more successful than sideline stoics like Bill Belichick and Tom Landry. It says here that the recurring complaint that Turner appears too detached to motivate his players is a product of shallow thinking and selective memory.
    At the risk of repeating thematic devices, Vince Lombardi and Paul Brown were vastly different and similarly successful; as were Bill Parcells and Bill Walsh. If there’s any data to suggest modern millionaires respond best to point-blank screaming, it is inconsistent with a 2005 study by Illinois State’s Jill Hollembeak and Anthony Amorose, who found that coaches who demonstrate autocratic behavior generally distance themselves from their athletes.
    That said, Spanos’ considerations in selecting top management include both science and show business. Core competence is fundamental, but charisma cannot be too far behind. If the Chargers are to sell tickets for 2012 — preferably to their own fans rather than those of the visiting teams — they must persuade people that there are sure hands at the helm and an improving product on the field.
    Former Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher would offer extensive experience and significant swagger. Boise State coach Chris Petersen is a bright guy deserving of a bigger canvas. And while we’re on the subject, whatever happened to Brady Hoke?
    This is not to say the Chargers’ next coach and general manager will necessarily be better than their predecessors, but they will need to be different, if only in the interests of marketing. Though Smith and Turner both have winning records in San Diego, current events usually count extra in these evaluations.
    Whether that’s fair or not, that’s football. NFL coaches and executives do not have to lose their minds in order to lose their mandates, and most of them understand that their high salaries are in part a function of their low job security.
    If Dean Spanos must swallow some multi-million-dollar contracts, that’s a burden, but it should not be a barrier. He can make some of that up if he hires the right people. He can make all of it up if he wins.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/30/a-history-lesson-like-honest-abe-spanos-now-must/

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Brilliant!

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Read this here before looking over at UT to see who wrote the piece. I knew it wasn't Canepa as he was backing AJ the other day. Thought Acee..... then wondered would he come up with the Abe stuff. Nah. I was left with Sullivan and Jenkins. Went for Sullivan. BULLSEYE!.

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes I read that first line and knew that Acee couldn't come up with that. Canepa should just replace Andy Rooney already.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    The question still remains, if the season were to end tomorrow and if both Turner and Smith are gone, who would possibly fit the bill to be the next tandem?

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It depends on how much Spanos wants to spend on a GM and/or coach. I suspect not very much if he still has top pay AJ and Norvs contracts. I doubt he wants to spend Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden money.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
  9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I think that in order for Mr. Spanos to save this franchise, he is going to have to open up that pocketbook or checkbook and bring in someone with a different attitude about winning and organizing this squad.

10. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    "It depends on how much Spanos wants to spend on a GM and/or coach. I suspect not very much if he still has top pay AJ and Norvs contracts. I doubt he wants to spend Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden money."

He doesn't have to pay off AJ or Norvs contracts in one big lump sum. It's paid piecemeal over the next few years and if either get a new gig that amount is ereased from what he owes them.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Comparing Spanos to Lincoln is a stretch in the first place other than they were both republicans of sorts. If Spanos wants to win and I believe he does, he will need to hire proven winners (Cowher & Khan) and commit to a system.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Sherman was 'controversial' but a damn fine general. Same with Grant, Sheridan and a few others. Always was fond of Joshua Chamberlain myself

13. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Ahh, a Maine politician. The battle of Little Round Top, Gettysburg hero. There's a reason you won't find any streets with Sherman's name in parts of the South.

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    If AJ Smith and Norv Turner got jobs straight away, which is very possible, the Chargers would only have to offset the difference in salary...isn't that right?

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Great Article. Hopefully Spanos will listen........hopefully.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    FWIW - Sherman served under Grant.

As for the article - some decent analogies. I just don't see the current ownership stepping up to the plate in a major way.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Top Half-Dozen Word Combos I Did NOT Expect To See This Week:

"Donovan McNabb" + "Starter"

"Ndamukong Suh" + "Gentleman"

"Lady GaGa" + "Modestly avoiding overexposure"

"Marshawn Lynch" + "dainty flower"

"Tebow" + "Lifeless hooker"

"Spanos" + "Great"

• Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Robert E. Lee, with the proper support and supplies would have been able to cause a stalemate and sue for peace. He came close to it as it was.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Is a Civil War re-enactment really going to break out in Bolt Talk, y'all?

If folks insist on arguing generals in a football forum
    (and I'm not the type to hysterically assert they should never do such a thing) can we at least NFL-ize it?

"Robert E. Lee, with the proper support and supplies would have been able to cause a stalemate and Suh for peace. He came close to it as it was." There. Now we're back to football.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is true

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No that is not true. Not true in the least.

Coaches and front office personnel are guaranteed contracts. They get paid regardless. That is why for his first two years with us Marty was still being paid by Daniel Snider AND the Spanos'.

It is also why lane kifin could file a grievance for the money he was owed by the Raiders under his contract, when the Raiders tried not to pay him for being fired 'for cause'.

It is also why Mike Shanahan was aboe to file a grievance with the Raiders for $300,000.00 after his termination.

The Chargers had to pay marty the final year of his contract, that is regardless to what ever work he finds elsewhere.

These are not players contracts, they are guaranteed. Taht means that the next team the coach goes to does not have to compensate the previous team anything for their services, and the previous team still has to honor their contractual agreements or litigate.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    For example:

For your consideration

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    According to Kevin Acee when he was on the radio earlier this week, it is true. Those coaches and front office staff are guaranteed their income. So if they were going to make $3mil here next year, and went somewhere else for $500k, the Chargers would be on the hook for $2.5mil, not all $3mil.

And since that is the question that was asked, yes it is true. If Norv and AJ were fired, and both got jobs immediately, the Chargers would only be on the hook for the difference between their guaranteed salary and their new salary. If they took the next couple years off, the Chargers would be on the hook for the whole thing

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are quoting Acee again? I thought you didnt believe what he said, which in this case you should not. I have explained it and even shown reference information. If you wish to remain in ignorance, please do... ;)

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The examples you showed we of guys who didn't get jobs right away, and when it comes to the Raiders, they tried to not pay a penny of the money due. None oft he examples you showed prove anything other than the team is on the hook for money, but it doesn't show that they are on the hook for 100% of it.

The raiders tried to use the "With cause" reason for the firing of Kiffin and Shannahan, and did so because if they had "cause", they wouldn't have to pay a penny of it. But if they weren't fired with cause, then the team is on the hook. This is a loop hole in every contract that Al Davis used to save money (or try to), becuase if the coach were to (for example) get caught steeling from the team, the team would have cause to fire him and not be on the hook for the contract. But if it is strictly performance based, that isn't cause, and the team is on the hook to guarantee those guys make their salary for the extent of their contract. So as I said, if Norv were to get a OC job somewhere making $1mil/yr, the Chargers would only be on the hook for the remainder of his contract minus the $1mil a year he is making with another team

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Explain why Marty was being paid by Snyder while he was coaching for us then.

28. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm all for firing Norv and AJ.. But we have to see where people fall for these positions..

If Andy Reid is fired I would take him as assistant GM/GM..

Just because he drafts so well and makes a splash in the free agency market.. even though the Eagles have flopped this year.. But that Eagles locker room has way too many egos that surpass the talent unfortunately.. He will most likely want to coach so this isn't probable..

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Also if you can explain why Zorn who was the Ravens QB Coach after Redskins HC, prior to taking the same role in KC did nto impact what the Redskins owed him I would appreciate that as well. Many thanks.

30. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412