1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Spanos says Chargers want to stay in San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, May 22, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Spanos says Chargers want to stay in San Diego

Posted by Mike Florio on May 22, 2013, 7:06 AM EDT
    Reuters

At first blush, it looks like an unequivocal commitment. Like so often when it comes to the Los Angeles leverage game, however, careful inspection of the words suggests that the door is open — even if only a little bit.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos, speaking to Albert Breer of NFL.com at the quarterly ownership meetings in Boston, explained that the Chargers want to remain in San Diego.

“I’ve said this the last 10 years,” Spanos said. “The Chargers belong in San Diego. That’s where we want to be. We’re going to continue to try to get something done in San Diego.”

At some point, however, the Chargers’ wants will give way to their needs. The combination of San Diego’s unwillingness to help build a new stadium and the looming possibility of one — and possibly two — NFL teams moving in just 90 miles up the road could at some point prompt the Chargers to become at least one of the teams to make the fairly short jaunt.

The Chargers are one of the few teams with the annual ability to abandon their lease via a payment that reduces each year. Spanos made it clear that, to get something done in San Diego, a payment from the public coffers will be needed.

“It’s very difficult to get public money in the state of California, but in our marketplace, we need a public contribution to get something done,” Spanos said. “Everybody’s aware of it. We just need to find the right formula that works for everybody, and it has to be fair for everybody. The politicians know what needs to be done. We just need to get something and make it work.”

Perhaps Spanos feels optimistic because the 49ers have found a way to ditch one of the worst stadiums in the NFL for a swanky new venue that will host Super Bowl L. Still, at the current rate of governmental action, the Chargers could eventually get that new stadium and host another NFL title game when the it’s time to play Super Bowl C.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/22/spanos-says-chargers-want-to-stay-in-san-diego/

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Open up your pocketbook & shut your yap, Spanos. Tax payers are sick & tired of fluffing your pillow for you.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As if tax payers don't benefit, and as if tax payers don't support giant corporations all over the nation with free/discounted land, lower tax rates, lower environmental protection rules, ect. This includes the Dallas Stadium which the city paid $325 mil upfront plus a .5% increase in sales tax, 2% increase in hotel tax, and 5% for rental car tax, all of which are used to pay for the stadium.

Like it or not, football is business that brings a ton of money and enjoyment to the local community. Had the city not had their head up their *** nearly 10 years ago when the Chargers offered to build the entire stadium and all infrastructure surrounding the stadium without tax dollars, and would in turn turn over ownership of the stadium (that the city didn't pay for) to the city along with a 30 years lease, in return for some land, the last decade of being scared about them moving would have never happened. By the way, tax income is exceeding the cost to the city, so there is no decrease in other services to pay for it (link). This is compared to the dump in Mission Valley where the city of SD is LOSING $11.8 million(As of 2010). That is money coming directly out of other services

But the idiot voters in SD keep voting in morons into City Hall, including the current Mayor.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Jerry Sanders was termed out of office, so he couldn't run again. The mayoral race was between Filner and De Maio. Neither one was for using public money for a stadium. Filner won, but hasn't put up any recent roadblocks.

But it was Sanders who actually put up city money to find a way to get a new stadium built. He hired consultants to do that and so far they haven't published anything yet.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I say the people need to pull together like they did in Minnesota, come together in front of city hall, show them you're willing to put in your own money to get this B#$ch off the ground.

The biggest problem and one major reason I moved away was how over populated this city has gotten. There is not many more areas of land to land to build on anymore because someone decided it would be cute to put an Olive Garden or an Apple store there.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, Filner also said since he was campaigning that he didn't want tax money being used for a stadium. There are no roadblocks to put up when the ultimate roadblock is already in place

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You know, that is one thing I miss about SD. What ever you want, you can find it no matter what part of town you are in. Here in Denver, I have to drive 30 mins just to pick up a dozen donuts or to get a decent burrito. There is a lot of good food here, but it is isolated into only 3-4 areas of the entire metro area. In SD, you can find a good mom and pop sushi place, deli, cafe, or pretty much any other type of food you want, in pretty much any area of town.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, why is this even a story? The Stadium in LA is completely dead in the water and Spanos has said for over a decade that he wants to stay, and has shown no indication of that stance changing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Spot on sir.

DeMaio was open to the stadium project and in comparison to Filner (who is the biggest piece of crap mayor ever-he's the kind of democrat that I HATE and I'm considered pretty liberal in my views) he was a much better option to have in City Hall when it came to working with the Chargers. I'd love to see something done with a good amount of private funding and minimal tax revenues - mostly b/c the re-development money is no longer available and the city is still recovering.

That said - a new facility and the events it would bring to town PLUS the revenues from selling off the Qualcomm site would be a BIG help towards solving the existing fiscal problems.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Open up his pocket book? You mean like when he offered to build a new stadium, turn it over to the city, but the leather skinned lady wanted a park?

How about San Diego actually nut up and build their own stadium? It is San Diego's not the Chargers. So SD open your pocketbook & shut your yap. Put the blame where it belongs.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree. If I remember correctly, even before they made that offer, they offered to buy the Qualcomm site and do everything privately and own the stadium privately, but the city said no because they wanted to invest nothing and still receive rental income from the site.

The city can't have it both ways, own the site, receive rental income and a long term lease, but invest nothing towards the project. That just isn't how business is done.

I really don't think people understand that the stadium is, and would be owned by the city. The Chargers have never asked the city to pay for a stadium that would in turn be owned by the team.

As long as the voters in SD keep putting people like Frye, Aguire, and Filner all into city hall, nothing will ever get done, and not just for a new stadium, but any large revenue generating project. The city can't just keep letting all the revenue generating venues fall into disrepair because the normal maintenance is neglected, and expect concerts, sporting events, or any other large events like like to keep showing up in SD when they can go to just about any other of the top 20 largest cities, and have multiple venues available, all of which is better shape than what SD has available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    The non-profit orginization known as the NFL can build their own stadiums. Chargers aren't going to LA, (or anywhere) because nobody is going to build a stadium there either, unless Spanos sells the team, and I don't see that happening. (He needs to keep his buffoon sons employed).

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Can't build a stadium unless you own the land, and the City refuses to sell the land. Next idea

14. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Yeah because there is no land for sale in SD county, lol..

Spanos wanted free land in exchange for him to build a stadium in mission valley, that Donna Frye and others were road blocks.

Now he wants land, and 400million from taxpayer money.

To be honest, I have reached the point where I could care less if they leave, so long as they are outside blackout range. Maybe the New Mexico Cargadores? I am a big fan of the NFL, and will always want a team to root, makes no difference where the Bolts play, I prefer my HDTV over stadium experience all day, every day, and twice on Sundays.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    By the very definition of what you wrote, the land would not be free. Does not free indicate there is no exchange?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Have you been around SD? No, there isn't enough land available in locations with freeway and trolley access.

Yes, he wants $400 mil from the tax payers because the city insists on OWNING the stadium and receiving rental income every month.

The best location would be Miramar but the Marines are wasting thousands of acres that they don't even use, all for duplicate efforts since they already had another air station in Yuma which is about 5-10min away from a jet, and by moving out there, those damn planes won't be disrupting people trying to sleep

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Because nobody sleeps in Yuma?

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, it is surrounded by hundreds of square miles of land where no one lives, which is wear training flights should happen, not in the middle of a metro area

19. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    I see you live in Denver, this is SAN DIEGO taxpayer issue.

As far as an exchange, while inequitable towards city of San Diego citizens, I have no problem with the original proposal of mission valley land given to Spanos for a stadium.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I lived in SD until 3 years ago when I transfered to Qualcomms Boulder CO office, but I will be moving back in SD at some point

You can say all you want that you are OK with that proposal, the cost of a stadium has hone up since when that proposal was made and the land value has gone down.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I wasn't aware that somebody's current location precluded them from having an opinion or an understanding of a political situation.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    You are in the south... what do you know! ;)

23. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Lol, this isnt a universal political discussion on NATIONAL policy where all citizens would be taxed for something, ie National Healthcare. This is something that will cost the tax payers of San Diego, it isn't a tax that will be levied towards all Charger fans, whether or not you live in SD or not. (that'd be nice) I get a little riled up when I hear out of towners complain that the city (taxpayers like Me) just wont pony up the money for a Billionaire, and multi billion dollar industry to build a stadium. I have already been on record for this tired discussion, that I would vote (against my own financial best interests as a SD citizen) for a public (tax) supported stadium for the Chargers. That feeling is starting to change.

We'll probably have this same discussion in 6 months, when Spanos farts, and Florio prints another article that Spanos gas means he is moving the Chargers to LA. (which I wouldn't be happy, they need to move further to avoid blackout policy) :D

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It doesn't matter whether or not it affects him, though. That doesn't preclude him from having an opinion or an understanding (or maybe lack of in your opinion) of the situation.

I mean, I get it if you think it's easier for him to sit there in Denver and tell you that you should spend your tax money on it, but that still completely ignores every point he made in favor of basically telling him to shut up because it doesn't affect him.

25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684

Clearly your bias about the Spanos family clouds your judgement. I'm not sure how you expect anyone to take you seriously. All I see is a bitter man who wants the owners to take all the risk, make all of the investment and then continue to pay rent and give away revenues to a dysfunctional city. And you call them entitled. That's pretty rich.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Having a vote on the matter and having an opinion on the matter, are totally different things.

Most stadiums are paid for with rental car and hotel taxes, which are taxes that don't affect 99% of the the citizens of the local area. These taxes are paid for by people visiting the city.

Had you read the article I posted about the Dallas Stadium, Arlington also imposed a .5% sales tax increase, but between that, the rental car, and the hotel tax increases, they are making more money in those taxes than what the regular payments for the bond payments are. So there isn't a single penny coming out of the general fund, no decrease in police, fire, parks, or any other service.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the tax payers pay for the entire stadium, hand over ownership to the Spanos family, pay for it by cutting down on police stations or schools. The deal would have to make sense to the tax payers, but to act as if tax payers don't benefit from having pro-sports teams in town, is completely asinine.

By the way, I pay extra sales tax to support The Broncos stadium, and as much as I hate the Broncos, I get that having them here is good for the city. So I don't bitch and whine about it.

27. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    g
    Bitter because I am offering a counter position to you, talk about a short cut to thinking,but that doesnt surprise me. Tellme any other busines that has theirfans pay for the facilities. You areblinded byyour love of thechargers.

Btw, I call the Spanos family buffoons as a joke, but cleatly they all split atoms.

Ps, sorry my poor typing it is sloppy 2 miles offshore la jolla.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Do you realize that just about every factory in the US, picks their location based on which city/county/state will provide them the biggest tax special breaks, discounts on land and property taxes, which is willing to lower environmental standards, ect.

Same goes for where just about every single defense contractor sets up shop. They go to what ever locality has the most "bridable" politicians and congressmen.

It is called capitalism, that is the world we live in

Difference is, they are not made public while these same discounts for sports team are made public.

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,684
    That's the thing, the Chargers were always open to paying for their own facilities (AND the surrounding infrastructure) as long as they could also purchase the land for development to generate revenue to cover the investment. When the City of SD declined and then dragged their feet throughout the last decade the economic climate changed, land values changed, development costs changed and now the Qualcomm site is no longer a viable option.

I'm not blinded by my love of the team. I've been following this issue closely for more than 5 years now. I've spoken one-on-one with Mr. Fabiani both on the phone and by email. I've written to local political figures. I love this team AND I love my city - I think it's in the best interest of BOTH that a new stadium is worked out. I also think it's possible to do it with minimal impact on the everyday tax payer but that at some point, everyone in SD county will need to make some kind of contribution to make it happen (a la Jack Murphy Stadium funding where cities county-wide invested funding).

The first step is people taking their heads out of their asses and stop blaming the Spanos' or the organization for not letting dysfunctional and corrupt city officials have their way. NFL Teams are a business and most of their billions are not fluid cash despite what people want to imply. Most of that money is tied up in assets/investments, particularly in the Chargers organization. There's an entire contingent of people who will vote down any proposal simply because they believe the Spanos' are out to screw the taxpayers - which while a flashy headline is simply not the truth. I don't mean to say we should take their first offer and run, negotiations and concessions should be made to ensure the deal is fair and equitable to all parties but they aren't the bad guys people make them out to be.

30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Then perhaps you should recruit Rahm Emanuel to rape you for billionaires to profit.