1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spanos should step in, end holdouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Nick Canepa , UNION-TRIBUNE
    Monday, August 16, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

The important clams — those who make the Chargers’ snap judgments — aren’t opening up. It’s hard for us to digest a shell, but they think they have enough food in them to last the winter and be playing football as hearty mollusks well into January, at least.

Once training camp began, General Manager A.J. Smith proclaimed he was done talking about his two Pro Bowl holdouts, left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson. Club President Dean Spanos, who has been known to chat during August, has declined interview requests.
    Maybe later on, so I’m told.

We all realize this horse has been beaten well past its postmortem, but Spanos, who craves a championship and wants to get a new stadium built — which in this silly community would seem to require all the good will one could muster — has been known to step into these stalemates with both loafers. Didn’t he do so when the LaDainian Tomlinson pot began to boil over in 2008?

“That’s the perception,” says Smith, indicating it may not have been exactly the case. “You have to get that from Dean Spanos.”
    OK. Oops.

“Well,” Smith says, “all I can tell you is that the four of us (Spanos, Smith, capologist Ed McGuire and head coach Norv Turner) are together on everything we do.

I think Dean believes in me and lets me do my job, and I appreciate that.

“I don’t inform him of things we’ve done. Everything is discussed way in advance, and he asks a lot of questions. It’s not blind faith. Dean is very much involved; I feel like he’s a member of our staff. He knows me well. He knows my philosophy. He knows what I’m thinking. I have been to the principal’s office, you know. I’m not perfect. This is not my structure. This is Dean Spanos’ structure.”

I’m hardly a fence-sitter, but I can see both sides here. McNeill and Jackson want long-term deals and deserve them.

The Chargers, citing the uncertainty in handing out extended contracts with a possible lockout year looming in 2011, have offered them maximum one-year tenders of about $3.2 million, which means the players have declined $2.5 million raises while millions of people in this country are out of work.

I find it difficult to feel sorry for them.

They should have gotten their butts in here, signed their most generous tenders, and worked things out instead of letting down teammates.
    I find it impossible to feel sorry for Spanos, but this is his club, his money, and he is far from being out of the loop.

He’s an active owner. But he should step in and end this stalemate — which obviously has his approval — because I don’t know if he can afford to be without two Pro Bowl players and hope to win a championship. It’s asking a hell of a lot.

The Spanos war chest is not going to be emptied if these guys are signed to long-term deals.

Even if there isn’t a season in 2011, the TV networks are obligated to give the NFL $4 billion.

Divide that by 32, and it’s $125 million per team without a ticket being sold. If the Chargers don’t have to pay out players’ salaries next year, that’s a tidy profit. No way could the team clear that much money if it sold out every game.

But these people still think they have enough to win without two of their stars, and while I have my doubts, I do believe they’re still talented enough to win the AFC West.

And that chip can win you the pot. Smith thinks it can happen.

“I think we’ve traveled that road — no matter who’s here and who isn’t,” he says. “Things happen. Contract disputes and injuries happen. You hold the fort. I think we’re a playoff-caliber team as we stand. If we get into the tournament, we have a chance to win the world championship. Any team that is a playoff team is a threat.

“Our struggles in the playoffs are well-documented and they’re valid. We’re trying to change that perception.”

Nothing seems to change the agents’ perception of Smith, who refuses to buckle, as he’s doing now with McNeill and Jackson’s mouthpieces.
    “I know their world,” he says of the agents. “We pay people here. How many players have left here to make more money elsewhere? One would have, (guard Kris) Dielman, and it would have broken my heart.”

As for Turner, he sounds like a coach who has enough.

“People don’t believe or trust us, but we have guys ready to play in those spots, ready to play at a high level,” Turner says. “People are worried about the left tackle, but we have people who can play there. Our system allows us to help out. We have depth. We have a lot of good football players.”
    Two are missing.

It would be nice to see the boss put an end to all this.

He wouldn’t even have to talk about it.

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It appears to me that the offense will be just as dynamic without VJ. Ryan Matthews gives us a dimension we lacked with the fading of LT. Malcom is about to break out, Naanee is a clutch receiver, jeremy Williams does not look much like a rookie, Ajirowhatsis is looking good and we have three tight ends who and run and block and catch. The leaves us with Sproles, Tolbert and an array of capable role players behind them in the back field to choose from. Dombrowski was more than adequate and Green looked far from lost on the field against Julius Peppers-and now Tra Thomas is returning to practice. His lack of playing time last year left him with less wear and tear and he sat most of the time because he was a mentor for a valuable rookie. He can still play. It would be great to have McNeil, since it would leave us with amazing O Line depth and give us our regular LT, but it is not a crying need any more.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    what needs to be done is mcneil and jackson have to wake up and realize their agents have and are giving them very bad advice.:yes:

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Corporate SuckA$$. :yes:

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    no he shouldn't

6. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    And the spin goes on.....

Smith is a great believer in making it to the big dance then taking your best shot. Our best shot would have been with the 2 guys.

The spin on VJ has been remarkable. He has gone from being a sensible, hard working team mate who looks after himself and works at his craft to almost an afterthought.
    This was conducted by Acee in exactly the same way we "realised" that Merriman had no long term future with the club. Albeit, VJ did't help himself with a couple of bone-head decisions.
    But, come on.... replace him with an undrafted rookie or PS graduate.. I am sure Revis is quaking in his cleats.

It aint gonna happen now, but I understand the sentiment Nick.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Spanos should loosen the purse strings to help get a new stadium built. Other than that - stay the **** out of it.

8. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Smith describing his working relationship with Deano: "Everything is discussed way in advance..." Can't help but think that at some point Smith made the observation that they had a lot of big names coming due at the same time. Deano looks him down and says; "faggeddabowdit". This article essentially reduces Smith to that of lead scout and a figurehead in the front office. I agree that the media has been used by management to shape a favorable perception amongst their fan base. Depicting Smith as being backed into a corner by greedy, misguided wash-balls. We're still not any closer to knowing why this team refuses to move Jackson.

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Enough Said.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who let VJ get an account here? :lol:

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Because he's a DUMBASS OFF THE FIELD. This isn't Madden man. These off the field things take a real toll on whether or not they get paid. If Jackson signed his tender and stayed out of trouble for the year, he would likely get a big contract for say maybe 3, 4 years. During that time he would still have to stay out of trouble, if he f*cks up during that time, it's hasta la bye bye, he's getting traded. If he continued to stay out of trouble he would keep getting paid. Since he obviously hasn't learned from his mistakes. And no, he hasn't SHOWN he's learned from his mistakes. If he had stayed out of trouble after his FIRST DUI we'd be singing a different song.

12. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Hehe, I thought the same. Or maybe a family member or part of his entourage?

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    "Evil AJ..."

"poor millionaire players..."

Nothing like pushing a one sided agenda huh?

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    But they will be there for the stretch run and the playoffs so what's the problem?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Trivia, the last team to win the west for the 5th time in a row won the superbowl that year...

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'll drink to that. :icon_toast: Here's to hoping! :icon_party:

17. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Corona:

You may have had a few too many... The sentence you sourced starts with: "The Chargers, citing..." The author isn't saying that nor does he substantiate the Chargers claim. Fact is, he refutes it: "The Spanos war chest is not going to be emptied if these guys are signed to long-term deals. Even if there isn’t a season in 2011, the TV networks are obligated to give the NFL $4 billion. Divide that by 32, and it’s $125 million per team without a ticket being sold. If the Chargers don’t have to pay out players’ salaries next year, that’s a tidy profit. No way could the team clear that much money if it sold out every game."

This argument has been refuted before, what part of it don't you understand? And you accuse me of being biased ... :icon_rofl:

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Deano learned his lesson from being burned by Tomlinson, at least I hope he did.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    There you go Conc! This is our year, and this is our time!!! :icon_toast:

20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Labor SuckA$$. :yes:

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'