1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spanos: Staff on solid ground

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers president says he's sticking with his coaches

BAGSHOT, ENGLAND -- Dean Spanos is pleased with his coaching staff, if not with the players.

"I want to start playing better," the Chargers' president said Wednesday as he watched his team practice for the first time at its countryside hotel. "The goal is to get into the playoffs and be playing better and get the team as healthy as you can."

Asked if he was happy with the coaching staff, Spanos said, "Absolutely. Not even a second thought."

Later, General Manager A.J. Smith intimated that anyone waiting for coaching changes will be waiting awhile.

"I evaluate everything at the end of the season," Smith said. "Right now, with nine games to go, I want us to play well and turn the corner. I don't go week to week. All I ever care about is this: get to the playoffs; win the division and get a (playoff) bid. I'd like us to be playing our best football in the last three or four weeks. We're not there yet."

The lesson that it's how a team finishes was not lost on Spanos after the Chargers began 2007 with a 1-3 record and ended up advancing to the AFC championship game.

"We're not always going to start (fast) and end up 14-2," Spanos said. "We've done that, and we lost our first playoff game."

Told that he couldn't have expected to be 3-4 with this team, Spanos said, "No, but I didn't expect to be 1-3 last year."

As for why his team has disappointed so far, Spanos isn't quite sure.

"There are a lot of reasons that go into it," he said. "Ultimately, we need to play better, and we haven't done that.
    Every team has got injuries. Good teams overcome that."

INJURY UPDATE: Outside linebacker Jyles Tucker returned and worked with the first team. He pretty much guaranteed he will play Sunday against the Saints after missing three games with a strained hamstring.

"I'm still feeling a little soreness," he said. "It's getting there, about to be 100 percent. They said it's going to be sore. Other than it being sore, nothing else is wrong. I can go get out there and try to make these plays."

Receiver Chris Chambers is less optimistic after a more limited workout because of what has been confirmed as a high ankle sprain.

"I had to try," Chambers said after practice. "I had to get out there. I will try to do more tomorrow. We're just trying to decide if it's better to sit out another game, with the bye coming up, and be healthier. I hope I can get away with playing this game. That's my anticipation, but I'm still in the mode of being patient."

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson (toe) and former LSU receiver Craig "Buster" Davis (groin) did not work. Tomlinson will practice today, while Davis' status is unknown.

CHANGING WEATHER: The Chargers have been pleasantly surprised by the sunny skies and cool-but-pleasant temperatures in notoriously gray England.

The dryness appears about to disappear. There is rain in the forecast for this morning, and there is a 60 percent chance of light rain again Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm glad to see Deno sticking to his guns. I love the air game that we introduced to the game under Gillman, Norv has our offense hitting on all cylinders cept for LT's injury. I can't wait for LT to be 100%, we win dudes and dudetts.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    we don't win it all he might want to re-think that statement

4. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    No I won't, I loved those teams of old. I still love it, you are getting the privilege of watching a step back in the past. Guess what? It still works. We get LT back 100%, it's all over but the cryin.:icon_toast:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Sometimes the public vote of confidence is the kiss of death.

Jes sayin'

6. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    QFT:tup:

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Damn, I had hoped Chambers would be further along than it appears.

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Our offense is not hitting on all cylinders. There is no run game, our red/gold/green/purple zone game is putting up field goal not TDs, we go long stretches without moving the ball.

If we live by the pass alone we will die by the pass alone.

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Some people are blinded by ignorance. Obviously Deano seems to be one of them. Let's see how things pan out for Mr. Spanos when he has to address all those free agent signings and faces constant criticism aimed at his underacheiving organization. I have little confidence in Norv as a "head coach". The only compliments I read from posters in here are his ability to put together offensive schemes. You don't need to be a head coach to do that. The media is all over his little use of their most dynamic weapon, Darren Sproles. What does he have in the last 2 games, 5 offensive touches? It's his ship..RUN IT!! Don't let the players run you. Is anyone else in here going to argue that he misuses Sproles, just in his lack of use, PERIOD! LT wants to take nearly all of the snaps...so he does, WTF! Who's in charge. I'm beating a dead horse, because Norv is a players coach...something that eventually got him fired. I won't even go into how pathetic Cottrell is.

I'm not saying fire Norv today or even Ted in midstream... but to say all is well and that he's happy with this underacheiving staff is just ridiculous :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Dean or A.J. are not going to go public in the 8th week of the season and question the coaching staff to the media.

Most, if not all of the time, teams just tell the media the politically correct thing anyway, to avoid any controversy, or negative publicity.

There has to be some concern with big fat Teddy C running the show on defense. Sometimes you watch the game, and say "What the hell is he doing with the defense"??? :icon_huh:

"Why are they in f**king zone coverage" ???

I blame the Buffalo game on big fat Ted. :tdown:

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's exactly what I was thinking. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I was meaning our passing game has been doing great. LT has been playing injured and there is no way to just plug in anyone that would be as good as LT has been. Once he gets back we should be about as unstoppable as any team can be.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, now I feel all better. :no:

I'm still hoping that Fat Teddy gets swept away to a secret gulag for Twinkie addicts before the flight back.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We did

I win this thread.

:icon_rofl:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    maybe the statement was supposed to be released after teddy got his release?