1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Spanoses get what they pay for (TT & MM)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    This UT says TT and MM are bargain basement hires.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/23/chargers-spanos-andy-reid-chiefs/

Historically, the Spanoses fish in the cheaper waters for head coaches.

An exception was Marty Schottenheimer, a decorated NFL head coach who became available after Daniel Snyder, the bumbling owner in D.C., fired him. Snyder agreed to pay a portion of Schottenheimer's future salaries with the Chargers.

Chargers coach Mike McCoy's salary is believed to be about $2 million, in the range of predecessor Norv Turner. McCoy's salary a year ago was either last in the NFL or close to it, reported the San Jose Mercury News.

The coach McCoy tried to outwit Sunday, Andy Reid of the Chiefs, who took over Kansas City in the same year the Spanoses hired McCoy, is in the third year of a five-year, $37.5-million contract.

A question the Spanoses ought to ask is: Can our coaches match Andy Reid?

Reid has a career win rate of .585. His Chiefs have a win rate of .595 and have won four consecutive games against the Chargers, with Alex Smith and Chase Daniel working at quarterback.

The Chargers have paid top dollar for a GM, such as when owner Alex Spanos lured Super Bowl architect Bobby Beathard west from Washington, D.C. in 1989.

Making it an easier sell, Beathard had a residence in Leucadia.

Presumably, GM Tom Telesco has a budget-friendly salary. This is his first GM job. As with McCoy, his contract runs through next season.

Perhaps the Spanoses will stay the course. There's little to gain in change just for change's sake.
    For the best alternatives, they may have to be willing to pay a salary or salaries that make them uncomfortable.

2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Factors into why we have 20 out of 32 seasons under their stewardship (and I use the term loosely) with a non-winning record, does it not?

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Bring back Norv!

[​IMG]

• Old Old x 1
  4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Nails!
    Also makes me wonder about the quality of the other coaches on staff. Are THESE coaches equal to or better than their counterparts on the other 31 teams? Or were they hired because they were cheap? At the very least, are these coaches good enough to prep our boys to succeed in the world's most competitive sports environment?

John Pagano, Frank Reich, Kevin Spencer special teams, Mike Nolan linebackers, Nick Sirianni quarterbacks, Don Johnson defensive line, Greg Williams asst. secondary, Fred Graves wide receivers, Pete Metzelaars tight ends, Joe D'Alessandris offensive line, Ollie Wilson running backs, and Kent Johnston strength and conditioning.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    If the Spanos' family does not think that people in Los Angeles see this, they must be out of their minds. I still do not see where the market is for this team in Los Angeles. Los Angeles fans are very mercurial in their alliances to sports team but I do not think Dean has the vision to put anything competitive on the field.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Why do we keep pretending what fans did or didn't do 20+ years ago is some kind of empirical proof that an NFL team can't survive in LA today? Especially if there's no longer a rival 2 hours south.

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    First, Happy Thanksgiving BT folks! :cool:

Second, the NFL is more popluar than ever with seemingly no ceiling, so I am sure the Los Angeles Carcadores will probably be fine, BUT wait until the 2nd largest sports market gets ahold of the Spanos buffoons in charge.:D

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Hopefully Bob Iger will stage a coup d'etat and will castrate the Spanoses in their executive capacities. This is for the sake of the Angelians, but alas this carpetbagger (shout out to Lancyboo) of an ownership has already done us in here in S'Diego!

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Well, at least Deano didn't fork out a fortune to lure Chip Kelly to the NFL. Instead, he got exactly the quality that he paid for. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Well, the other side of the coin is this:

When fans complain that the Dolts ownership could have hired Sexy Rexy after Marty's sacking in 2007, or hired Bruce Arian after Norf's sacking in 2012, they perhaps do not stretch their thoughts to the notion "what if the other coaches were offered the job, but decided to pass because of the remuneration package in combination to not having been offered more expansive control over the player personnel decisions".

P.S. HolyLeo, I use my own quotation marks, so bite me! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Do you mean Los Angelenos? I think the Angelians are a radical church cult...

12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    No definitely the Los Angelians. They are a superior breed of Angelenos who live in an exclusive sliver of land in the hills of Santa Monica one can only access by either private choppers or by riding Himalayan yaks up Mulholland drive!

13. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    ever since we sacked Marty this team has been on a decline.

say what you want, we had a tough team then

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    providing we did not have a lead going into the 4th quarter. Marty's teams never knew how to protect a lead.

15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    One thing I have noticed is that since about 2006 there has been a steady erosion of talent on this roster. Good players retire due to age and / or injury or leave via free agency and the team has not done a very good job restocking the roster. Approximately 10 years later, we re trying to compete with a collection of cast offs, draft reaches, free agents from schools no one has ever heard of and a core of aging veterans. Not a good recipe for success and not an overnight fix for this. Add to this mix coaching that is timid and predictable and you have....drumroll please...a 3 - 8 Chargers team.
    Much respect to all of you hanging in there and still cheering for this team! I will be in the stadium on Sunday, up to my eyeballs in donkey fans cheering for our team!!! We Charger fans are a stubborn bunch.

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Give 'em hell!

17. Cheapseats

Ratings:
    +373
    Will do!!!!

18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Watching Josh McDaniels coordinate this game against a top defense in these conditions without the fire power at his disposable due to all the injuries on the Patriots offense is pretty incredible. Obviously having Tom Brady helps, but the personnel he's rolling out there and some of the designed play calls, impressive nonetheless.

19. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    ^^^ Agree. I watched Seahawks/Steelers and was awestruck how professionally both teams played, and were coached. Not perfect, but not this JV :poop: either.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Todd Haley put on a performance against Seattle too.. Definitely tops my list in terms of our coaching search in 2016. I feel as if we move to LA, the Spanos' will make a big splash and go for a Sean Payton. I wouldn't hate it, but the last month or two, I've grown towards the likes of Todd Haley, Hue Jackson and Josh McDaniels.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I had almost the exact opposite reaction. I couldn't believe how ordinary the Patriots looked against a Broncos team with no offense and missing 3 key starters on defense for much of the game. The Broncos defense is clearly not the same without Ware as it is with him as the combination of good pass coverage, a fairly stout DL, and Ware plus Miller is what makes that a good defense.

Without Ware and Miller both on the field opposing QBs have much more time to throw the ball and there were plenty of times when Brady had time to order a pizza before throwing the ball.

The Patriots are very beatable--more a product of media hype than substance. The offense has not produced more than 27 points in any one game in the last month.

That said, there needs to be a law that Collinsworth cannot be an announcer at any game involving the Patriots, Giants or any QB named Manning. Seriously, it is like listening to Tom Heinsohn calling a Celtics game--the announcing couldn't be any more biased.

I watched the Chiefs play the Broncos a few weeks ago in Denver and they completely dominated them. The game was not even as close as the 29-13 final score suggested.

These are the same Broncos that the Colts beat 27-24 and who struggled to beat the Bears 17-15 just a week ago.

Exactly what did McDaniels do that was so great? The Broncos refused to cover Gronkowski on the Patriots first possession. The second TD was a 15 yard drive that came after Osweiler's arm got hit as he was trying to throw, producing an INT. The third TD came when Brady threw a perfect sideline deep ball that hit he receiver in stride for a TD. They couldn't move the ball when the game was on the line in OT. There was nothing special from McDaniels in any of it.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Belichick's underlings fail once they go out on their own..... McDaniels was no different. We saw his "genius" in Denver already.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Clearly didn't watch the same game, but its ok.

The way McDaniels attacked and dominated Denver's LBs was just one of the many bright spots in his game plan. You're talking about a team that is missing many key players like:

Amendola - 49 catches for 520 yards and 2 TDs
    Edelman - 61 catches for 692 yards and 7 TDs
    Lewis - 49 rushes for 234 yards, 36 catches for 388 yards and 4 total TDs

Also, missing their starting LT, RT and LG. What they're doing without their top options and many injuries to key positions and players, is impressive.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    The laziest people make these statements..

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    LOL... get over yourself. :roflmao:

Just because you think McDaniels has something to offer as a HC doesn't mean he's up to the task. The NFL is littered with guys who were good coordinators, but weren't "leaders of men."

26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Okay, I think you bought into the Collinsworth's pro-Patriots propaganda.

The Patriots still had Gronkowski for most of the game, Chandler, Blount, LaFell and Keshawn Martin. Clearly, I would rather have Edelman and Amendola than LaFell and Martin, but it isn't as if LaFell and Martin are untalented UDFAs. They have legitimate NFL measurables and I would take either of them over every WR on our roster not named Allen or Floyd (i.e., Johnson, Inman, Herndon, T. Williams).

Their OL is deep in talent. I would take four of the five OL starters that started for NE Sunday night over our starters at full health. The only starter we have that I would take over the injury riddled starting NE lineup is Fluker over Kline. But I would take Vollmer over Dunlap, Mason over Franklin, Stork over Robinson/Watt, and Cannon over Barksdale.

With Brady, a good OL and several weapons against a Broncos team at far less than full health defensively, the Patriots should have been able to accomplish more on offense. Contrary to what Collinsworth had to say about it, there was nothing special about McDaniels' play calling, especially since DEN essentially gave NE 2 of their 3 TDs.

27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    lert! lert! lert!

Per @baltimoresun Chargers OC Frank Reich interviewed for Maryland head coaching job. Team would not confirm report:

28. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy....... Now, get the **** out. ;)

30. Cheapseats

Ratings:
    +373
    Maryland's losses (to come), our gain if Reich gets the job. Hope the Terps like the delayed draw play...a lot!