1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking with OG; an interview with Chargers DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ogemdi Nwagbuo (pronounced; Oh-gem-dee New-wah-bo); is a home town kid made good in the competitive NFL. Born and raised in San Diego, and now an impact player on the defensive line of the San Diego Chargers. Ogemdi was often called out by sports casters during his games in the 2009 season for being the man whom the Chargers called and invited to camp while he was working at the San Diego Airport. How many fans have dreamed of getting that call?!

Ogemdi, whom is often called to as OG for short, is a down to earth man and enjoys speaking with the fans, be it on Twitter, or by making himself available for interviews. OG has taken the time out of his busy schedule which includes rehabbing his high ankle sprain that landed him on the IR list late in December to speak with us:

OG, I would like to thank you for taking the time to speak with the fans, your story is one of the feel good stories of the 2009 season. It is one that many fans fantasize about; working at a normal job, and then getting invited to play professional football and making an impact on the field. To your credit you responded well and proved that you belonged out on the field.

Q: To start off can you tell the fans a little about who OG is?
    A: I’m just a regular guy from San Diego. Graduated from Mt Miguel High School, Southwestern College and Michigan State University.

Q: Does Ogemdi Nwagbuo mean anything specific?
    A: It means my time will come, at least that’s what I have been told.

Q: Born in San Diego, and playing for the Chargers, how does it feel to play for the home town team?
    A: Its definitely a great thing to play for San Diego. But just getting to play in the NFL is great an I definitely appreciate the opportunity.

Q: You were first invited to be a member of the New York Giants, how did you become a member of the Chargers?
    A: I was signed to the practice squad late my rookie season after a workout. And I have been here ever since.

Q: What was the biggest difference between the Giants and Chargers from your perspective?
    A: I mean they are too completely different teams. Every team in the NFL is different. But two great organizations with a lot of good athletes. I learned a lot in both places.

Q: Can you tell us what it is like running out onto the field through the helmet, to the roar of the crowd?
    A: I mean its exciting at any level of football. From High school, to junior college to college to the NFL. Whenever or wherever you’re playing football, its always exciting.

Q: Have the fans been supportive of you in your rehab?
    A: I’m always getting asked about it. I think everybody wants to see people get healthy so I definitely appreciate it.

Q: Speaking of rehab, how is your ankle doing?
    A: Doing better, getting better every day.

Q: Will you be ready for spring workouts?
    A: I don’t look that far ahead, I’m just focusing on getting better today.

Q: OG, how was Coaches Ron Rivera and Don Johnson able to keep so many people at a playing level throughout the season in the face of so many injuries?
    A: They are two great coaches, and I have learned a lot from both of them.

Q: Week one, against the Raiders you registered your first sack. What was that like for you?
    A: It was definitely a great moment, first NFLsack. I just got to keep working hard so hopefully I can get some more

Q: Week 12, you were instrumental in assisting Quentin Jammer with an interception; can you tell us how that felt knowing it was your swatting the ball that caused it?
    A: I mean that was just one of those lucky plays on my end. He is a great corner so he is always making plays like that.

Q: Which of the veterans on the roster has helped you develop the most?
    A: all of them, I have learned a lot from everybody. Especially on the D-line, they are all real helpful so I just try to learn from all of them

Q: Do you enjoy Tweeting to the fans?
    A: Yea I think its cool. I’m always on the internet anyway. I try to respond whenever someone tweets me.

Q: What do you look for when you study the opposition on film?
    A: Everything. You can never watch enough film, just trying to pick up on little things.

OG, thank you for your time and consideration, it is special when the fans get to read interviews with the players. If there is anything else you would like to add, or say to the fan, please feel free.

Follow OG at twitter.com/thisisOG

Again, thank you for taking the time to speak to the fans, I hope your rehab goes well and we see you on the field again soon.

OG: Yea hit me up whenever.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Nice job Conc! :icon_toast:

3. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for posting. And, this isn't your fault, but man what plain boring answers. Nothing specific, no insight, just glad to be playing, going to keep working hard... bummer. It's always nice to hear from the non-stars, especially because they are a bit more open, and give a different insight into the life of an NFL player.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Perhaps, but the fact that he takes time during his off season to do this is appreciated by me.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Once again sir, outstanding work on getting a great interview

I salute you

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Great stuff Conc.

My only wish is that you would ask us if we had any questions

I would have asked him why the heck would he pick Michigan State!!!???

Did he know what he was getting into coming to the arctic mid-west???

:flag:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You are right, that would be cool. I try and make these a bit of a surprise. I apologize.

Does anyone have any questions they would ask OG? Remember, they have to be respectful...

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Will you be interviewing him again?

I would ask him if he ever goes back to MSU. And, if he does, tell him if he wants to hang out at the Lake, go fishing, or go sailing , to give me a holla.

I'd be glad to hook him up

:tup:

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    nice interview Conc. Good score!

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nice work Conc. Ask him what the toughest part of being on the nose is.
    I'd also like to know who the toughest guys he goes against are.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the more good young d-lineman we have coming back the better we'll be. And it gives us a chance to then go try and land other players at other positions to improve the team.

Wouldn't it be nice to get a 2nd round pick for a cb that is pretty good at pass coverage. But can't or won't tackle. Thats my big offseason hope.:yes:

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Concudan @ThisIsOG Some of the posters @Bolttalk have some questions for you, I will send those next week. Thank you again.
    less than 5 seconds ago from web in reply to ThisIsOG

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Tweet from OG today...

ThisIsOG @Concudan i was on my phone when i did answered those questions...ill have better answers for ya next time

My response.

Concudan @ThisIsOG Dude! It is your off season and you are taking the time to speak with the fans at Bolttalk! I appreciate every minute!
    1 minute ago from web in reply to ThisIsOG

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ROCK ON CONCANATOR!!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I will be sending your questions to OG next week. If you have any for him, post them before Monday at noon.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who is m4hornets on twitter?

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice that he took the time to answer a few questions. I respect the kid for hanging in there & wish him well.

Thanks, Conc. :tup:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    OG, thanks for taking the time to speak with the fans at BoltTalk. A few of the fans had some follow up questions they wanted to ask you.

Wrbanwal, a poster from the Great Lakes area asks the following:

Q: Do you ever go back to MSU? If you do, he has an open invite to you for fishing and sailing.

A: I haven’t been back in a while. Last time I went back was my rookie year before training camp to work out and stay in shape. But I’m probably gonna head up there in the April to Catch the Spring game. I haven’t tried fishing or sailing but I might try it out.

Retired Catholic, ask the following:
    Q: What is the toughest part of being in the Nose Tackle position?

A: Any position has different aspects that are tough, but from my perspective, the toughest part about playing nose tackle is probably taking on double team blocks, because if your technique is not right, it could get ugly in there. But I think the hardest position to play in football, besides QB of course, is Cornerback.

Q: Who are the toughest guys you have faced while playing NT?

A: That’s a tough question because all the guys playing O line are good. But I think Going against Nick Hardwick every day I would have to say his combination of strength and speed is hard to deal with. But besides guys on my own team I would probably say Matt Birk. But I haven’t played against that many different teams so far in my career.

Follow Up Questions:
    Q: You tweeted that you were riding a bike, is that part of the rehab program?

A: Na I was just talking about doing some cardio. Lance Armstrong is one of my favorite athletes.

Q: Who is the strongest Offensive Linemen on the Chargers?

A: I don’t know. They are all pretty strong.

Q: Have you reached your goal in Twitter followers yet?

A: I don’t have a goal but hopefully I get some more.

Q: From your first season, what team do you love to face, and why?

A: My favorite was the Giants because I was up there my rookie year for training camp.

Q: I just received a text stating that LT has been released by the Chargers. How do you feel about that as a player, an end of an era, or just business as usual?

A: I mean he was a great player but that’s how football works, same thing with Emmit Smith. Even in basketball it happens like when Hakeem finished his career in Toronto, Malone with the Lakers and Ewing with the Sonics. So that’s just how the business of professional sports works.

Buck Melanoma, a rabid Charger fan from Virginia wishes you well in your rehab, along with ChargerRay, AnteaterCharger, Foober, The Lash, and everyone else at Bolttalk. Thank you for taking the time to speak with us!

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    very cool Curtis.

Thanks

:tup: