1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Speculation time: LT's future

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    FOR THE RECORD: I would like to see LT restucture his deal and stay at the very least one more season. LT is the greatest player to ever put on a Chargers helmet and nothing is ever gonna change that in my mind (until someone greater comes along), whether he is here or not.

Now that is out of the way, let's pretend he's gone. Period. What kind of compensation would you like to see for him, players swapped in trades, draft picks, ect. You're the GM (thank god this is not reality tho), what do you do if you could wield the phenomenally mighty powahs of AJ SMITH for a day.

My dream scenario(s):

• trade LT and maybe a 3rd/4th pick to NO for Reggie Bush
    • a 2nd + 3rd or 2nd + 4th for LT
    • 1st rnd pick straight up for LT

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    LT needs to retire a Charger, end of story close topic.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Damn, everyone is soooooo scared of this question.

Sissies.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    RTL does your dream scenario also have NO winning a ring with Brees and LT?

I don't like your first scenario for that reason, I am pretty sure if those two got together again they would win a ring.

If I was making the deal I would have to take a first rounder, but I don't think anyone would give one up at this point without any info on his health.

Would you demand a 1st rounder this year or down the road?

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    To answer the question RTL... if we are to trade him then I'd like to see us get a stud O lineman or safety plus a pick or 2. I don't believe we necessarily need to get a 'proven veteran RB'. Most decent RBs will do well once the O line is functioning properly.

I can see us drafting a Rb with the 3rd round compensatory pick for the Burner and re-sign Sproles. Let's see what Tolbert can do running the ball also. He is not ready to be full back. I've liked what I have seen from Hester as a blocking back and he can catch the ball too.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If we traded LT he would have to restructure his contract for another team. We would not get anything higher than a 4th rounder for him if we do trade. I think it all depends on if we sign Sproles. If another team makes the mistake and offers to make him an every down back, then he will sign with them. We may then keep LT. If we do sign Sproles as a return guy and situational back, then we part with LT. I think then AJ does this before the draft for a pick then we draft his replacement. I don't think we do it during the draft because there will have to be a restructured contract in place. We will also have another vet back on our roster like Bennett.

8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Reggie Bush is still too situational to me. A sightly bigger version of Sproles. I think a 1st is too much to ask for unless LT has a comeback year. I would like more than just a 2nd though, so I'd go with your second choice. I could still find some good picks with that trade scenario.

9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    if LT isnt a Charger next year he will be released, for him to be to traded to another team he would have to redue his deal, which if he redid his deal he would probably stay a Charger, by LT's press conference and him saying he doesnt have time to go to another team and new situation because he doesnt have that much time left playing, my guess is he will restructure to stay

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Reggie Bush ???:icon_huh:

Why would we want Reggie Bush, and his HUGE contract, and his hurt knee??? He's a lousy RB, just a glorified punt returner, and 3rd down back.

I'd rather have Sproles, and he's cheaper in price.

Although I do see the Saints possibly trying to make a deal for LT to be thier main RB, to be reunited with Brees. If the Saints had a running game, they would win at least 3 more games, this year, and last year.

The only thing worse than Reggie Bush is his she-male looking girlfriend with the big butt.:icon_rofl:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I will not accept a straight out cut of LT

If we don't get a hell of a deal for LT in trade, I'm talking a major player and a mid draft pick or a first rounder, then I don't want to trade.

my guess is he'll finish the contract out and from there will probably retire

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    How about the idea of a backloaded 1 year deal with the option for him to be a UFA in 2010?

We could draft his replacement this year. :icon_shrug:

13. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

I'd like to see the organization sit down and talk straight up with LT and ask him if he would restructure his contract.

My guess is he would if he's treated with respect and dignity. He knows he's been paid and blessed beyond measure, so money may not be at the heart of the matter, but how he is treated will be a major issue with him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    LT's future is in his own hands, get real or get lost. I hate to say it that way, but he's been on the gravy train for quite some time.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Here are some candidates:

Knowshon Moreno (Georgia):

OR

Chris "Beanie" Wells (Ohio State):

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Knowshon is the guy Pat Kirwan was talking about on Sirius NFL Radio. Said that we could easily keep LT for one more year and let the replacement learn behind him.

I like Moreno over Wells. Moreno appears to be able to do it all... and stay healthy.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Moreno > Wells

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    A. Why should I assume LT will be back.

B. No way do I trade LT for Bush straight up let alone add picks especially after Bush had a knee injury.

C. The other scenarios are extremely unlikely.

D. Sure I'd love to get 3 1sts or whatever for LT, doesn't mean it'll happen.

E. As far as your scenarios depends on where the picks are located.

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Restructure, restructure, restructure.

Make the new deal incintive based.

I'm telling you all now..2009 Comeback player Of The Year :tup: