1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sproles not Matthews - Key to season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jul 11, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Could it be that we have too high of expectations for Ryan Mathews? He is a rookie and everyone is already predicted a big year statistically for him. I remember the last time we all thought a rookie would come in and take us to the promise land. Though QB is different than RB when it comes to stepping in and having an impact. The thing is don't be surprised if Mathews does not eclipse the 1000 yard mark this season. Also don't be surprised if Sproles is more productive than Mathews. We could also see a third running back make progress this year. We all know how unpredictable rookies are so before we take a snap let us not forget that Mathews does carry the title of rookie. Just because he may not live up to "early LT" statistically doesn't mean he will not eventually get there.

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i dont think anyone can logically say that he'll gain a ton of yards, he just needs to have a greater presence than he predecessor.

3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    "Don't be surprised if..."

"We could also see..."

Sounds a lot like a meteorologist predicting the
    weather. Our local weather-guy likes to use: "possible
    chance of scattered isolated thunderstorms", and " 50%
    chance of rain." Guess he's right either way.

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    RB is one position where you can actually count on a rookie to have a big season, so i dont see a problem with having super high expectations on Mathews

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Sproles is a major contributor without a question but he can't carry the rock full time so while its important he has a big season especially in KR/PR, he isn't the key to teh season. Good play from Mathews will ensure that teams can't just throw 8 into coverage and that they'll have to protect against the run. Unlike last year

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I just can't see our RB corps doing any worse than last season. It was sooooo painful to watch LT run sideways for no gain all year long. A running game- a successful running game- will make our passing game a whole lot more electric than we saw last season.

Watching LT get stopped three times inside the two is what I'm talking about. We've got to be able to punch it in from within the five yard line. Having to throw it in from there is crazy and a good prescription for a one-and-done in th playoffs.

Whether it's Matthews, Sproles, Hester or Tolbert... we've got to have more of an actual running threat. Not LT's 3.3 ypc.

Getting only 3.3 ypc is not going to get it done, mon.

Prediction: I think Matthews gets 1,000 yards and 9 rushing TDs and Tolbert gets 7 TDs.

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Don't get it do you?

I am not predicting anything. I have no clue on how this guy will perform. If you do then why are you wasting your time on forums? The point is that everyone (majority of posters on forums and blogs) think that this guy will be over a 1000 yard rusher. I am just saying slow your roll on these types of expectations for a rookie. I don't want to hear the labels (i.e. bust) if he only gains 500 yards his first season.
    Again I have no idea how he will perform. I just don't want to see the pitchforks if he has a less than expected season.

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    You are correct about rookies stepping in at RB. Hopefully he will step in and follow some of the studs that have produced well their rookie years.

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I think we will need to rely on our running game more this year. With VJ out, Gates health concerns (yes it concerns me), and our inexperienced WR corps, we will need to have a better running attack. Sproles will need to have a big year as the change of pace back. He of course will never be a full time back.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Sproles as relief will certainly be useful, but he'll benefit from the better running game overall. As a change-of-pace back, he forces the defense to accept another dimension. He's amazing in the screen pass game and the speedy little tank can run laterally very well. They both should have big seasons, and Rivers will be the greatest beneficiary if that happens.

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Don't take it personal CD. Why am I wasting my time on forums? C'mon man, I wasn't bashing you in any way, I was actually agreeing with you. But I guess I don't get it.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Joy I was not bashing you either. I was just saying that if you can predict the future then dont waste yor time here. Use it to make money. :)

13. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I have to disagree with the statement in the thread title. As far as the running game is concerned Mathews is absolutely the key to the season. He is also the key to Sproles being his most effective. In order for sproles to be a change of pace there has to actually be a pace to begin with! Last season stalled because of an ineffective running game, the proof that Mathews is the key is the price that AJ was willing to pay to get him. I don't think that its unreasonable to expect great things from a first round running back. The good news is that he does not have to carry this team, there are more than enough weapons around him to take that pressure from him, which is what makes it all the more exciting to think of what he will bring to the game!

14. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yep, it's very realistic to expect production out of a rookie RB. We need Matthews to have a more productive year than Sproles.

15. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Wasnt there a thread with people predicting a 1400 yard season from RM? :icon_rofl:

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am just looking forward to all the play-action action. It would be perfect if VJ were still in the mix but it will be potent nonetheless.

I agree we will emphasize the run more. We may even return to a run first team if the kid is the real deal. Sproles will really be dangerous this year when we find ourselves in a lot of 3rd and 3's and 3rd and 4's.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Sproles is a great little RB but ONLY if he gets good blocking and nobody touches him and get's the ball in space (screens basically). Once he gets hit by a linebacker he get's dropped like a hot rock. I love the little man but it's just tough for him at his size to compete with these beasts on the defensive end. Hopefully Matthews will pound the rock and soften up the opposing D for the Lightning Bug to do some damage. Not expecting him to get 1500 yards or anything. Just design plays where he can succeed. I still have nightmares of Ray Lewis dropping his butt in the backfield to that crushing loss to the Ravens. Great play by Lewis too, but somebody shoulda picked him up! But I digress......

18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I am hoping that the "new" Ryan Mathews will have more of an impact the 2009 version of the "old" LT. If he can make the first guy miss and get through creases in the line before they close up everything else will open up for the offense. I want Sproles to have fresh legs for returns and screens...that is what he excels at.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If we get decent play out of the O Line, Matthews will be over a thousand yards. If the O Line can't compensate for McNeill sitting out, if he does sit out, then Matthews will not have an especially large impact. He is bound to do better than LT. How much better isn't too much up to just him. Then if Rivers can keep the passing game in synch without VJ, it will be a huge boost for RM. If the O Line and Rivers both click, he could be in for a memorable season. I personally think that rookie status will have any more to do with his potential to perform than any other factor affecting any running back, vet or rook. It depends on whether or not the Charges can create room for him. I doubt he will need a lot, but he has to have at least a little daylight.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    McNeill has never been much of a run blocker so I don't see his absence hurting us much there as long as we can keep Rivers upright.

Running backs make the OL look good, not the other way around. A fresh set of legs hitting the hole quicker & breaking a few tackles will have everyone saying how much better the OL looks.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Explain how a younger, fresher LT ran for 1000+ yards for several seasons with a much less "talented" OL?

I realize that I've made similar comments as yours to your posts. That's been largely because you tend to beat a dead horse.

So back up your emoticons with something substantial & I'll engage you in a discussion. Otherwise you can join the ***-clown forum along with me. :lol: