1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sproles says AJ offered him half what New Orleans did

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by starry, Jan 17, 2012.

1. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    http://www.xxsportsradio.com/pages/scottandbrpodcasts?app=podcast&podcastID=2267

So they must have offered him around 1.5 million.

He also says Norv only used him out of the backfield, whereas the Saints want to use him in more situations like in the slot and outside. Norv always did seem limited in his use of Sproles, the excuse we got was that Sproles wouldn't be able to handle more touches (something I never believed).

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The more touches Sproles got, the more his production dropped....... look up his numbers the last two years here.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I think Sproles lost interest in playing for the Bolts. Even his returns were at best---sucky. He can play and Norv liked to use him on 3rd and short=up the middel- inside the red zone.

4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    You just sayin

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    #damnskippy

6. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    The kind of touches Norv wanted to give him were runs up the middle against a packed defense. Still if you want to compare that to the superior offense in New Orleans were Sproles was used in a more effective way that is your choice I guess. I'm sure he is happy playing for a team that is a regular Superbowl contender now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is a result of our Coach being clueless about how to use him. # of touches is pointless if they don't focus on his strengths. Payton proved that this year

• Like Like x 1
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, give me your email since I can't send files to you through PM

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    AJ offered Sproles what he was worth at the time. Which is to say dog ****.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Yay for 20:20 hindsighters! They're my favorite!

Look at the way that Sproles performed in his last season here and tell me you'd have offered him even what New Orleans did (sorry, but after Darren decided to air dirty laundry unprovoked to the media, I'll take just about everything he has to say about this franchise as being at minimum tinged with sour grapes) knowing how he was going to be used?

He's still nothing more than a rotational back, not a feature back, he's a perma-RBBC player and has been in NO just as much as he was here. Rotational backs don't get much more than $4m/yr if they're lucky. His great value to us had been as a returner and 3rd down guy, but in his final season both of those facets of his game took a nose-dive. Yet we're still supposed to pay him like he's a top rotational back when we had a guy (Tolbert) who in every facet except pass-blocking had proven to be as productive (if not the "breakaway" YAC threat) and was under contract for considerably cheaper? Sorry Darren, I loved you while you were here, but business doesn't work that way. If you'd have been amenable to the contract you signed with New Orleans back when you were being franchise tagged by us to keep you on the roster then you'd have gotten it (and yes, I can say emphatically I am confident he would have gotten it because as was we paid him 3/4 of that contract money to play for 2 seasons as opposed to 4 - and he had more tread on the tires), but you wanted top-returner/mid-tier feature-back money (half again as much as he signed with in New Orleans).

Folks that are bitter that we didn't re-sign Sproles or didn't pay him at least what New Orleans did... do you honestly believe he would have produced any better than he did in his last season here this season? Can you even say that with a straight face? Because I can't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think I should be surprised anymore how fans will support proven losers like Spanos and Norv whatever happens, as if they think it is being loyal and sensible when it definitely isn't. :D And AJ is just on one big ego trip. Sproles last year actually did quite well considering the terrible coaching and overall play of the team. There was always more to come from him though and that isn't hindsight it was very obvious to some people at the time (those who don't meekly follow the management line).

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Don't try talking sense, it'll just fall on deaf ears around here....... #imjustsaying ;)

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Totally agree. He had the ability to do WAY better, but in our system, he just didn't do anything

14. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I like Tolbert but he isn't the same. Sproles has quickness to make people miss, also Sproles could help block for Rivers. Also blindly siding with AJ in the contract negotiations with Sproles doesn't make much sense when we know what an ego AJ has. and the bad decisions he has made (contracts to people like Tucker etc). AJ was the one who made a mistake by not getting Sproles a longer contract earlier when it was obvious he could be a game changer. Then people blamed Sproles for AJ's decision to give him franchise money for 2 seasons, at least now Sproles seems to be appreciated more elsewhere.

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    So what, **** sproles, he half-assed his way through 2 seasons and made 14mil to do it. He was patheticly bad his final 2 years here. Never fought for extra yards, no breakaway on any of his returns, and was always tackled by the first guy that touched him. Its like he got his 2 franchise offers and stopped caring, then when he went to the saints, and realized he had to play hard again to make his money he became good again

AJs big mistake with sproles was franchise tagging him. I mean he signed with the saints for 14mil over 4 years, AJ gave him that over 2 years, yeah sproles, im sure AJ was really trying to stick it to you! ******* ungrateful little bitch!

not to mention, he was helped out by playing 11 games this year on artificial turf, where he is just a little faster while playing on the most spread out high paced offense in the league. He goes ANYWHERE else this off season, and he would be considered a FA bust

• Like Like x 1
  16. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Sproles wasn't bad at all on an offense without much of an offensive line, with terrible special teams coaching and a very overrated offensive mind in Norv Turner. Now he is on a much better team he can actually fulfill more of his potential.

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Something definitely seems to have changed for him, in him. He pretty much lead the league in receptions/yards for a half-back not too long ago. Then the screen game disappeared. I think opponents figured it out.

Now he's a damn good running back on a spectacular team. He's definitely been helped by his offensive line, his schemes, and running on the same offense as the quarterback that hold the NFL's all time record for passing yards in a season. Good for the little guy. Godspeed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Yeh all Norv used him for was screens on 3rd down and runs up the middle.

And no NFL player is about to take a wage cut of that magnitude.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He loves you too, rip.

BTW - how's Whitehurst doing? :roflmao:

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Who is blaming Sproles? Fact of the matter is he was utilized properly and didn't fit in Norv's system, and therefor wasn't worth the money he got in this system

• Like Like x 1
  21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You were the one who told me that Sproles wanted out of SD three years ago. I nay sayed you and guess what... His last two seasons he played like he wanted out.

His returns his last season, running straight ahead into the opposition, this year in NO, he jukes and changes directions... Misused? I hardly think so...

• Like Like x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    That franchise tag is the problem for skill guys, sure they get a big payday for that year but there is nothing to protect them for career ending injuries they might incur. AJ misplayed this one and lost a good talent and weapon when he could have signed Sproles long term with the money payed out to him.

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Someone who has an axe to grind with the Chargers appearing on the Scott & B.R. show? NO WAY!

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :laugh:

25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Hmm.......this is totally not true.....we KNOW AJ doesn't make mistakes. Sproles is making things up and left on he's own will. Good Riddance!

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    He was overpaid the two years prior to that, so being butt hurt just seems silly. Move on, be grateful that you got paid while you were here, good luck in New Orleans. I just don't get why these guys have to be babies after the fact.

• Like Like x 2
  27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ..that also chokes in the playoffs...

• Like Like x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Two years in a row. :eek:

29. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Yeah, that's what we did too........err wait nvm.

30. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    That got to the playoffs and won in the playoffs. And then lost a very close second game.