1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SPROLES STAYING!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlazingBolt, Mar 4, 2010.

1. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Better thread title...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/04/sproles-ready-free-agency/

Chargers will keep Sproles

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

[​IMG]

The Chargers have changed their minds.

The team is placing a first-and-third tender on running back Darren Sproles, sources said Thursday morning.

Sproles had been notified last week the Chargers would not tender him as a restricted free agent and would allow him to test the market as an unrestricted free agent.

The move guarantees Sproles a salary of $7.27 million if he stays with the Chargers, unless the club can sign him to a long-term deal. He made $6.62 million last season as the Chargers' franchise player and is entitled to a 10 percent raise.

The Chargers' initial thinking in not tendering Sproles was that they couldn't justify paying a kick returner and third-down back that much. They had hoped to continue talking to him about a multiyear contract even as he tested the market.

A source said Sproles was scheduled to visit the Kansas City Chiefs this weekend and also St. Louis, Philadelphia and Washington.

It is unlikely he will take those trips now. Any team signing him would have to give the Chargers a first-round and third-round pick.

Earlier Thursday, before the Chargers decided to tender him, Sproles said he was excited about free agency.

“I’m just ready to see who wants me,” Sproles said.

Sproles reiterated several times that his “first choice” was to remain a Charger.

“First, it’s San Diego,” he said. “Then it’s my teammates. The people in the locker room, that’s who I’m comfortable with. They know what I like to do; I know what they like to do.”

Sproles carried 93 times for 343 yards (3.7 average) and caught 45 passes for 497 yards in 2009. He has over the past two-plus seasons shown himself to be among the most dynamic runners in the NFL.

The Chargers clearly see the 5-foot-6, 185-pound Sproles as a kick returner and third-down back.

“It’s always been on my mind — how do other teams want to use me?” he said. “Is it just on third down and returning? Or do some people want to use me more? That’s what I’ve always wondered?”

Sproles and the Chargers had agreed to talk again. But first he was going to find out what other teams were willing to give him — in both playing time and money.

“I’m still thinking I can still be a Charger,” Sproles said. “That’s what I feel … This is where I want to be, so we’ll try to get something worked out. But if not, we’ll see … ”

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  3. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Why do we care if he is over paid...it's Spanos money and there is no salary cap.

We are lucky we don't have crappy ownership...you can't say they are cheap or don't want to win.

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Great news!

So the question now is, do we still go RB in round 1?

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We will still need a RB because Sproles role will not change. He is still only a part time RB and average return man.

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Its Power-Back time!

You can effectively put a line through all those backs that are not power backs..goodbye C J Spiller..Javid Best...Ryan Mathews and co..

Hello Jonathan Dwyer..Blount..Gerhart and Co:icon_toast:

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Dwyer will be wearing Bolts next season.

8. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Sproles is officially the on RB on our roster..

sdutChargers

Michael Bennett released ... Kevin Burnett has neck surgery. Should be ready for training camp -- ka

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Wow this offseason is getting crazier by the minute. Next thing we will have AJ making a big splash in FA. How bout Kampman and we goto a 4-3, trade SP or even Merriman. Heck even Thomas Jones could be a charger tomorrow the way things are going.

10. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Id be v happy if we took Blount

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    ^^^ LOL you should burn that sig pic

Glad we decided to keep him, hope they work out a long term deal.

In total agreement w/ the forum, time for a BRUISER now.

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Okay, Norv. Time to exploit his talents.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just heard that about sproles on the radio. Guess no one would give us anything for cromarite. Which I'm guessing trading for a rb was part of the deal. Or several teams are really interested in sproles and we think we can possibly trade him for a 1st and 3rd. Or we can just keep him which isn't a bad idea either. So we only need one good rb now. THat actually will help..

14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    :no:

Gerhart will be wearing Bolts next season. :yes:

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    And possibly tate or matthews.

16. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Looks like my favorite RB in the draft won't be considered. :no: Goodbye, dreams of Jahvid Best dominating the Broncos and Raiders.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I say don't draft a RB early now. Draft Beef!

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    How about a kicker CoronaDoug? :lol:

19. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The Jets tendered Leon Washington with only a 2nd rounder.....if we hadn't already overpaid Sproles I'd be fully on board for giving up the 60th pick for Leon.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We haven't overpaid him yet. And now that we've opened the door with the Jets by trading Cromartie, other talks could be in the works.

Still not at all convinced that Sproles remains in SD.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    LT is now the Second coming of Barry Sanders. It will not get better until we draft fast and fat bulldozers. That is where
    we
    win
    it
    all otherwise, .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

:bolt:

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sproles just got pimped by A.J.

What a masterful move in letting all those teams call Sproles just to let all them know .... pfftt.... eat the tender.

A.J. used Sproles as bait to set the trap in getting the best deal possible for Sproles. Now A.J. know the teams who want Sproles which sets up a trade. Freaking beautiful the way he uses players the same way players use the team. Payback is a biiittch........... There is a subtle beauty in all the posturing. :yes:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Hey T-Man! Good to see you around. :icon_toast:

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He could just have a team say pay a third rounder this year and swap places of a first rounder. A team like Washington that could pay big dividends even if we don't get the full first and third. And yeah with so many teams wanting him there's some real potential in that

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Legend has returned. :icon_toast: :bow: :icon_toast:

I agree that AJ is using Players as pawns to get the best value out of them for trade bait. Now a team will have to be B!tch slapped by AJ to get Sproles services. Pure genius AJ.

27. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    U still hangin by AJ's nutz :tdown:

trumpy, my qb won me a sb what's urs doing for you? :icon_tease:

seriously, where the fcuk have u guys been?

28. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    where r u???? :tdown: Where is Leisure???:icon_huh:

I am in India and landed up watching the SB in German and French :lol:

J, u guys got to start posting in one forum!

29. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Dude, your friend AJ is hell bent on making the Chargers the browns or what :icon_huh: