1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sproles to test market

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday January 30 2009
    By Kevin Acee

Running back and return man Darren Sproles reiterated emphatically today that he wants to be a Charger in 2009 and beyond. But he knows what is prudent.

"I'm going to test if first," he said of the free agent market. "It makes sense. But I like where I'm at."

Sproles has hired a marketing company and is in Tampa working doing interview after interview on radio row, in essence, to get better at doing them as hs profile increases.

The free agency period begins Feb. 27

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sproles enjoying Tampa festivities

Friday, Jan 30, 2009
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

From a regular season that saw him set new career highs in every statistical category to a two-touchdown performance in the Chargers’ playoff win over the Colts, Darren Sproles had quite a year in 2008.
    This weekend, Sproles is in Tampa participating in a few pre-Super Bowl events. Chargers.com caught up with him to find out how he’s reflected on a remarkable season and hear about his offseason plans.

What have you been up to since the season ended?
    “I’ve just been taking it easy, trying to get my body right. It takes some time to get feeling back to normal. I was sore, but it wasn’t a bad sore. I’ve been in San Diego relaxing.”

Now that you’ve had some time to reflect, how much fun was the last month of the season for you personally?
    “December was fun for all of us. We’re disappointed we fell short and didn’t play longer. I had fun (in 2007) too, but I got a lot more touches this past season. I feel like I’ve taken steps each season. This season it was a big step and I had a lot of fun.

"It takes some time to process it. During this time, I don’t really think much about football. I just try to relax. It’ll all sink in once I start my training and thinking about next season.”

What are you doing while you’re in Tampa?
    “I’m about to visit radio row here in the media center to do some interviews. I just started a partnership with Yardbarker.com so I’m promoting that a little bit. I went to the Madden Bowl party last night. I’ve got a couple appearances scheduled at the NFL Experience over at the stadium. I’ll sign some autographs over there.”

When you were at the Madden Bowl, did you watch Antonio Gates play in the tournament?
    “Yeah, but he can’t play (laughing). No, he did pretty good. He made it to the semifinals and got beat by Justin Tuck. I gave him a hard time about losing but he’s really good.”

What are you plans for the next couple of months?
    “I’m not going to do anything special. I’ll be back and forth from San Diego to Kansas City. I want to spend some time with my family. I’ll probably start my offseason workouts at the beginning of March sometime.”

You’re an unrestricted free agent this spring. What do you hope happens?
    “I want to stay in San Diego but we have to wait and see what happens. Your second contract, that’s the one where you have a chance to take care of yourself and your family. I enjoy my teammates and love playing for the Chargers. We’ll just see how things go down.”

Were you aware that the Chargers Team Store at Qualcomm Stadium ran out of number 43 jerseys in January?
    “No, I didn’t know that, but that’s cool to hear. When I first got to the Chargers, they didn’t sell my jersey in the stores. To get it sold out, that feels good. I really appreciate how all of our fans support our team and support me. People stop me a lot and always have nice things to say. It’s really nice.”

What are your thoughts about Sunday’s game?
    “I think Pittsburgh is going to win. Their defense is so tough. They force turnovers and make big plays. When their offense gets it, they can go on long drives and hold the ball like they did against us. That keeps Arizona’s playmakers off the field, so I like the Steelers Sunday.”

3. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Is Sproles valuable enough to warrant a franchise tag?

4. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    AJ needs to re-sign him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    That may be out of AJ's hands if the market looks as if Sproles could get a huge contract somewhere else....and he has proven in college he can play cold weather football. AJ will probably need to come up with a great deal. Is that realistic?

IMHO I doubt the Chargers will put a franchise tag on him. What is the average salary next year of the top running backs in the league? Is Sproles worth that for one year? How would that impact the salary cap?

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    The running back franchise number is $6.62 million and the transition figure is $5.92 million.

More power to Sproles. I hope he gets as much as Spanos money as possible. he needs to get paid, this is the contract that players can be set for life off of.

Hope its works out. Please stay 43:bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Good points, I believe the cap number is around 6.5 mil but I could be wrong. At this rate I’m with you and don't see them franchising him. I’m thinking more along the lines of a 3-5 year deal at around 5 mil per with 10 mil in guaranteed money?

Anybody have the figures on the contracts of Maurice Jones Drew or Devin Hester? He’s kind of a cross between the two, maybe that’s a good starting point?

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm with you on this. :yes:

No way we put up $5+ mil for the little guy... just no way. I'm very curious to see what the market looks like. We have a reputation for having very capable backups for LT, but Sproles has not had the opportunity to prove his consistency the way MT did. But Sproles was been largely underutilized up until LT got hurt this year and I think the jury is still kinda out on him.

Very curious to see what kinda money is out there for him. :yes:

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    IMO, he isn't. I mean he's a great utility player to have on your team but not a feature back.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Too much money per year. I'd be surprised if he was offered more than $3 mil a year.

11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The team will make him an offer that's fair for the role they expect him to play--a return man and 5-10 touches a game.

And all it's going to take is one (1) team who promises him a bigger role and more money, and he's gone.

And it won't be anyone's fault, it will just be the nature of the business.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sproles says he will become a free agent

Friday, January 30, 2009
    By Kevin Acee - Updated

TAMPA, Fla. – The other Chargers running back whose 2009 destination is up in the air reiterated Friday he wanted to remain in San Diego but will explore the free-agent market.

“I'm going to test it,” Darren Sproles said. “It makes sense. But I like where I'm at. I want to stay a Charger.”

Sproles was at the Super Bowl media center Friday doing interview after interview during a tour of radio row. He hired a marketing company recently that brought him here, essentially, to help him become more comfortable in such situations. It's a move that comes, not coincidentally, as his profile rises.

Sproles has stuttered almost his entire life. While he has become better speaking in public, he struggles with shyness and getting his thoughts out in interviews. As a seldom-used back and kick returner in a small market, Sproles was not in much media demand. He and his handlers believe that will change in the coming months and years.

“It's time for me to do it,” Sproles said, “so I can do it with more ease.”

The expectation was always that Sproles would test the free agent market to see what other teams might offer. Free agency begins Feb. 27.

The Chargers plan to make a contract offer to Sproles that would reflect him being a returner and specialty back. Their plan would be to use him in a role that expanded on what he did last season, when he set career highs with 61 carries for 330 yards and 29 receptions for 342 yards and five touchdowns.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Exactly. I am not saying he can be easily replaced, but you have to look at money too. If someone offers him 4-5 M per year, that's a lot. I hope he knows his limitations and while he is one of the most exciting players in the NFL in his role, he has to realize that expanding that role will not be conducive to his career. He just isn't big enough to be an everydown, run between the tackles back.

He is a PERFECT fit on this team. I hope he realizes that, and I hope he stays. he is one of my favorite Chargers.

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Bottom line will be the money.

I wonder what impact Sproles leaving...if he does...will have on their negotiations with Tomlinson?

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Great post. I'm curious to see if any other team will want to commit to Sproles as an every down back, like Atlanta did with Michael Turner.

Like you said, all it takes is one team.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This is expected, wants to see if someone wants to throw gobs of money at him to either keep his role or become a full time player

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    It would not surprise if some do not get the Chicken Little Syndrome.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Who can we draft as our return guy?

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    We could go with Cromartie.

I agree though we need to sign Sproles to a long term deal to keep at least this aspect of his abilities. On that aspect he is way too valuable to allow to walk.

It is all about the money though. Sad as it is. :(

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    AJ will take care of it. He always has.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think Cro could be better than Sproles. I love the lightnin bug, but he is fast, straight ahead. Cro has the ability to cut back and forth to make people miss.

22. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Yeah, he'll trade a 3rd and a 5th in 2010 to take some white guy in this year's draft.

:lol:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If he does, it will work.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd like to see Sproles back with the club but you know he'll go after the green and who wouldn't. Hell, his wallet will be bigger than he is.

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Cason is also an option. He returned punts at AZ his senior year.

From his NFL.com combine profile:
    "With his added responsibility handling punt returns as a senior, he is the first Arizona player to earn All-Pac-10 Conference accolades on defense and special teams in the same season."

He is not blazing fast, but he is an option.

Cro would be my first option, but with his recent hip injury, I would not want to put him out there taking those hits. He is much more important to the team as a CB.

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Buster Davis?

27. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Nooooooooooooo, dont go Tiny Darren!!!

28. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member