1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sproles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    For a moment, let's forget about what kind of affect (if any) the signing will have on LT's future with the Chargers... but what has Sproles done that makes him worth $6.621 million for the 2009 season?

Has he ever been a starter for an entire season?
    Has he ever had a Pro Bowl season?
    Is he a team leader?

I think he's great at what he does and glad he's returning but I have a tough time seeing how he's worth this much. He's certainly had his times when he shined but he's only been full time in a few games.

His fumble in the endzone almost cost us the playoff game against the Colts. Though he had a great game and justified it in the end.

Then they used him the same way against the Steelers and the exact results happened that I knew would happen.
    I was hoping to Hell that Hester would get up to 10 touches as Sproles would too. Instead, they had Sproles play the same role as he did against the Colts and the results sucked!

BOTTOM LINE... As good as Sproles is, I don't think giving him 20+ touches a games for 16 weeks will work.

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Has Sproles been signed to a contract worth $6.621 mill. yet? :icon_shrug:

3. Bolts 74'

Bolts 74' BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Sproles needs to understand that he's not an every down back.Even if L.T doesn't come back the Bolts will find an every down guy.We have already seen he's good on screens and outside runs but when it comes time to move the pile on 4th and inches do you believe he can? I don't, he needs to realize he's a specialty back and returner nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well said!!! :tup:

5. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Sproles agent was on the radio the other day and said that he might expect to get 10-15 carries a game at most, and keep the same roll hes had at PR and 3rd down situation back. I'm pretty sure alot of players on the Chargers would disagree with you about Sproles. I think it will be even funnier now that you've gone on for days ranting about the injustice that the Chargers have done by tagging Sproles , if they sign LT to a new deal and Sproles gets what he wants. Then all this is for nothing. Let see how it turns out before you think the worst of the team and AJ.:icon_high:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I said I would...

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17590&page=2

I also stated in the beginning of this thread "for a moment, let's forget about what kind of affect (if any) the signing will have on LT's future with the Chargers." And besides stating that "I don't think Sproles is worth $6.621 million for the 2009 season," I have not done any ranting about tagging Sproles. Though I do tend to disagree with the "LT's a b****" crowd.

So Chargers players might disagree with me about Sproles. So what? I GUARANTEE THAT ALL CHARGERS PLAYERS WOULD DISAGREE WITH THE LT HATERS IN HERE!!! So go give them a hard time!!!

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well lets see, he's 3 great players in one. You get a great kick returner, a great punt returner and a great backup running back.

He may not be able to carry the load or be a fully time starter but that doesn't mean he doesn't have an impact.

Look at Hester all he is, is a kick returner but he still has a huge impact for the Bears and he got a nice deal.

With Sproles he puts you in great field position, he's a lethal weapon on offense and is a threat to take it for a TD any time he gets the ball in open space. Even when teams gameplan for it they have trouble stopping him.

Whether this is worth $6 million that's debatable, but lets not pretend he has no impact.

Just comparing him to Turner, Sproles is far and away a bigger impact player for this team and that's at his current role. That's the key, he's a huge impact player as is, meaning we don't have to make him a starter to get that, you give him 10 touches a game and he'll make his mark more times than not.

So really you can view him in 2 ways, as a backup rb, or as an impact player. I view him as an impact player and so do many others, and apparently so does AJ. $6 million may be a lot for him, but it's only 1 year, and he could just as easily sign a long term deal for much less a year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Who said that?

Also, where do you get the part about Hester being only a a kick returner? :icon_shrug:

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Dude, that is my avatar.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Let's see, as of right now LT is under contract and Sproles has a shiny new tag on him. Sproles is great and exciting to watch but I don't think he's 6 mil material.

11. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Thats your avatar? oh really? cuz i got it when i typed in Wes Chandler pics on Google...so how the **** is it your avatar? Do you have the copyrights? Did Wes Chandler say you can use him image? I will change it, but i had no idea you were USING the avatar.

12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    At the time Hester was given an extension he was a backup wr/cb, the main reason he was extended was because he was a great returner. Even now he's not even an average receiver, yet he still has a huge impact for the team.

As far as whether Sproles has an impact you're pretending like he's just a backup RB when you know full and well he's a lot more than that for this team. Sproles is an impact player, and you keep impact players if you can. You said to ignore the LT scenario, okay if this had no impact on LT's status would anyone care? Most wouldn't. Most of the people that are complaining are because they think this will mean LT will be gone.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I don't think Sproles will play for the franchise money this year, he'll probably sign a longer contract or be traded for a draft pick (I'd say a second rounder, although I believe he would have to sign a long term deal before he gets traded)

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's great for what we use him for... kick returner/RB/WR. What I did say is that I don't think he'd make a good feature back.
    I don't think giving him 20+ touches a games for 16 weeks will work. I don't think he could carry our running game like an LT, MT, Alexander, etc.

15. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I disagree with most of the stuff you say, but I agree with you here. No possible way Sproles can be a feature back when after the Colts game they were talking about how beat up he was. I love the little guy, but sometimes no matter how much heart you have you can't do certain things. His small stature makes him get beat up a lot.

That being said, I think he is an important part of our team and needed to be retained. I don't think he's worth over 6 mil for a single year, but hopefully like many have speculated that this is just a preemptive thing for a long term deal at a price that is more reasonable. As great as Sproles is, he's not close to being as good as LT is, even with LT's down year.

16. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    No one is saying he'll be our feature back, even AJ has said he'd want him for the same role as last season. We didn't franchise him to make him a feature back, we franchised him so he could keep the same role.

I think something like 10 touches a game plus KR/PR would be plenty for Sproles. We'd use LT (if he stays) as the feature back, or some rookie (if LT doesn't).

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Thank you!

I don't know why people insist on making the leap from "Sproles gets franchised" to Sproles is now going to be the featured back." I guess because of the LT stuff, but all the franchise tag does is give the Chargers certain protections.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    It's what people do. They like to read into **** that isn't there. LT will rework the deal to help with the cap money and Sproles is out there testing the waters to gauge his worth. He will come back and work out a deal with the chargers unless some GM is hitting the crack pipe.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We're ALL glad he'll be back and will play that role BUT, is he worth $6.621 million?

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    $6.621 million is the type of salary a feature back makes.

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Sproles does many things, he was franchised for THAT reason.

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    And as I asked earlier in this thread.... Has Sproles been signed to a contract worth $6.621 mill a year? :no:

23. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Am I the only one who thinks the tag is way of getting a 2nd rounder for sporles?

24. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    The minimum compensation is two first rounders:

Ain't nobody giving that up for Sproles...

25. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    yes but a team can take less if they want it. That's only if Sproles makes a deal with another team on his own. That team would have to give two first rounders, and the chargers couldn't stop them. However, if the chargers want to negotiate they can take whatever they want.

AJ has said that he's listening to all offers. So maybe he'll try and get a 2nd, or a low first, or a 2nd and third, but he can trade sproles for anything he wants.

The only time two first rounders come into play with franchise tag is say you had a QB or LB, or RB (or any player for that matter) who was a cornerstone to your team (like Payton Manning) and his contract his up and you franchise him. If he wants out and a team wants him bad enough they can sign him and the chargers can't stop the transaction (regardless of the franchise tag), but they get compensated with 2 first round choices.

But because of the high draft picks this never happens. you end up paying tons for a franchise player and you lose big picks.

I think there is an exclusive franchise tag where no team can get the player no matter what (but the rules about how much you pay the player and how many times you can use it I think are different), but we didn't use that...

I STILL CONTEND WE USE THE TAG TO TRADE HIM FOR A SECOND ROUNDER THIS YEAR.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No **it, Dick Tracy.

Though I still say "$6.621 million is a bit much for a guy who is not a solid starter."

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I can't imagine that either, yet I'm not sure I'd give I'd up for a #2.
    a #1... probably.
    two #1s... ABSOLUTELY!!!

Do you think we should do it if we're offered two #2s?

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    In a New York minute!!

:tup:

ps. what exactly is a New York minute???

:icon_huh:

29. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    You should have called this the "I hate Sproles thread". You're trying to make every argument why he shouldn't be with the team. You can spin it anyway you want, but you need to accept the fact that Sproles is going to be with the Chargers whether LT is here or not and that LT will needs to restructure his contract or he will find himself in the same situation that Marvin Harrison finds himself in.

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_huh:

Kind of a stretch there, no??

or, are you speculating like everyone else around here??

:icon_shrug:

I think everyone can step off of B4L's neck now. It's gettin kinda old.

:tdown: