1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Sproles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Sep 14, 2010.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    IMO, didn't look good at all. Maybe it was the footing (or lack thereof), rain, etc. But he just didn't look like the Sproles of old getting stuffed on just about every return. The KC returners both looked like the Sproles of old! Thoughts?

2. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Looks like a guy trying to stay healthy in a contract year. Definitely don't see the fire he had before the big pay days came his way.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He looked more like this guy....

[​IMG]

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I heard he was at the club the night before??

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    On the Kick returns, Sproles did have to deal with a whole lot of KC jerseys in his face before he could look down from making the catch. Course the punts were hella short for KC, maybe by design but I beleive it is the speed KC has drafted specificaly to get faster on ST.

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I had my reservations concerning Sproles last year, and could tell he was not going to do **** last night. It's been a while since he gave us reason to cheer in the kicking game, we really don't have a replacement though.

7. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Sproles looked just as bad, if not worse than he did last year. The guy peaked at the 2008 Colts playoff game. It's all been downhill from there. I like him, but he needs to get a lot better.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think the footing was a big part of it. I don't know how much the Chargers equipment guys were to blame, but we were slipping out there way more than the Chiefs were. On first and goal on that last drive, Buster slipped or he would have had a TD catch. On each of the big returns there were Chargers players that slipped.

I think the big thing is that the Bolts players went into that game last night not practicing in the rain in several months. I doubt the Chiefs had a rain free training camp. That's not an excuse. Just an explanation. The Chargers players could and should have handled it better. If rain was in the forecast, the coaches should have prepared them for it. There's this thing called a hose. You can use it to wet the ball and the practice field to simulate rainy/sloppy conditions. The Bolts seemed completely unnerved by the bad weather. They were in complete control of that game right up until the rain started.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Your deffintaly right we could have been under equipped for the game/unprepared for a monsoon. When I last checked a weather forcast in KC sunday before goin to the game, it was only a 30% chance of rain and being my first game I was payin attention to the weather for that day all week it was calling for a chance of rain all weekend. Turns out the 30% chance for rain turned out to actualy be 2/3 of the game with buckets of rain at 10-15 mph, also wind forcast was for 5 mph.

Being that KC had their first OS in Missouri vs roadtrippin to Minnesotta, they could have had a better grasp on playing in slop.

10. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Sproles was good on kick returns when no one expected him. Now everyone in the league knows about him... He is most dangerous on a quick screen pass out wide with room to run. Unfortunately Norv isn't adapting to the changes in the game and doesn't know how to use him.

Weather was terrible last night, but wasn't our only problem. We need to tighten up and stop losing to garbage teams early in the season.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Who know who I would like to see return some kickoffs? Goodman. San Diego Chargers: Richard Goodman

Dude was a STUD in the preseason. FAST mofo. Couldn't have done any worse than Sproles imo.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I agree. He is 'lightning' quick. Sproles looked cumbersome mon night. I hardly saw him make one guy miss. I'm giving him a mulligan for the weather conditions/footing. But we need to think outside the box where conditions are as bad, a quick in a straight line return guy is what was needed. Having said that look at the moves Mc Cluster was able to make.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The gimmick is over.

Time for fresher legs.

Teams know: Sproles in the backfield = screen pass or delay hand off up the middle.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yup, I mean is it just me or did Sproles look like he didn't have that burst he usually has? Maybe it was the bad Special teams blocking, bad footing due to a soggy field, etc. Although KC's return guys had no problem. Short cleats??? I hope Sproles redeems himself Sunday on dry turf in good weather. Just didn't seem like the old Sproles. Don't want to judge him after just 1 game though.

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It is time for a WR type of returner.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hopefully Sproles will show the magic again this Sunday with dry turf, good weather and no rain. I want to see the "Lightning Bug" again!

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    This is why I wanted Goodman on the roster, Sproles doesn't look as quick as he used to. He isn't that old (27) but maybe he's slowed down a bit due to his size. Maybe it changes we'll see how he does against the Jaguars.

18. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Norv has no fuking clue how to use him and runs him like a power back.

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    The bad weather did not slow down the chiefs return game.

20. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    ^This.

To be fair, Sproles did have two really nice games early on last year against the Ravens and Broncos, both losses. Is it coincidence that those two games were highly rated match ups?

Acee says there is nowhere for him to run on returns...but I see more than just that. Even when he didn't have nice returns in the past, he looked as if he was a block away, or someone just got a piece of him, that barely stopped him from having a big return. He had acceleration and quickness. He is not being decisive....he is dancing and then getting squared up and taken down. When he was going good he looked explosive and quick even when he wasn't getting results...now he looks like Eric Bienemy.

How stupid is AJ for paying Sproles when he could probably have VJ for the same money.....

21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Cut Sproles!