1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Squaws' DE Allen has suspension reduced

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I really don't understand this. Two DUI's, and he gets his suspension cut in half - down to two games? Kind of smells to me .....

Suspension of Chiefs’ Allen reduced to two games - KC Star

Jared Allen was planning to treat the first month of the Chiefs’ schedule as the offseason. He was going to head back to Arizona and work out with a trainer much as he did during the spring.

Allen, a starting defensive end, will have to rethink that strategy after learning that the NFL — after hearing his appeal — reduced his season-opening suspension from four games to two.

Allen will still miss the Sept. 9 season opener in Houston and the following Sunday’s game at Chicago. But he will now be available to play in the Sept. 23 home opener against Minnesota and, more important, the Chiefs’ first division game the following Sunday at San Diego.

“My whole approach has changed now,” Allen said. “With the whole four weeks, I was going to head back to Arizona and train as if I was in the offseason. Four weeks is quite a long time. Two weeks is a totally different game. Most likely I’ll just stay in Kansas City and stay ready to play.

“I’m excited about this. It changes training camp for me. It will change the way I approach preseason.”

The reason for the reduction wasn’t clear. Allen said he hasn’t read the letter he received from the NFL, which has yet to publicly announce his suspension. Chiefs officials were unavailable Sunday.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Smacks of favoritism to me. The League's cracking down on guys with character issues, but Allen gets a reduction. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  3. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    no worries, Allen's going to wish his suspension wasn't reduced after our O-Line and LT run over him! in the famous words of Russel Peters: "Somebody gonna getta hurt real bad..."

for those who don't know, here's the link:

Go CHARGERS!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not much in the article about how he's gonna change his lifestyle :icon_eek: :no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    But if Allen does another late night drunken car thing he should wind up in alot of trouble. So far he hasn't been able to stay out of trouble at great lengths of time. Wild guy. Good player though. But he appears to be a wild guy. In the olden days of the nfl he would have just been one of the guys.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We have gotten too politically correct and anal as a society.

I heard a radio show talking about this kind of stuff.

Joe Namath was another PacMan Jones if you think about it. The dude was drunk and banging hoes left and right making it rain in the strip clubs. Dude wore those effing pantyhose in that commericial way back and I know you are old enough to remember Hollywood Joe in stockings laying down.....That shattered my **** because I was a fan of Joe Namath although I did pull a few Namath's with a certain interviewer from the Jay Leno show.....:lol:

7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Paul Hornung was an even bigger partier than Namath .....

But, to say they are equivalent to PacMan is bullshit. Hornung and Namath didn't have a posse shooting up the tittay bars, or spitting on women.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Wow, was not expecting to see a Russell peters quote on this site

:tup:

9. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Hey! Be a man! Do the right thing!

10. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    the league still doesn't think driving drunk is as bad as "accidentally" taking "banned substances". Leonard Little killing someone while driving drunk didn't seem to bother too many people in the NFL front office.

Interesting how they want to create a squeaky clean image, but god forbid that should be at the cost of reflecting poorly on their major sponsors. (all the beer companies).

Hard to keep that cash cow happy when you're reminding the fans every game how a guy is being punished for using too much of their product.

11. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    At the game in KC, Allen was a terror. I'd prefer he wasn't on the field. His name was called some many times in Arrowhead it was echoing in the car on the drive home.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, this is the obvious difference.

13. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    So Dierdork's golden boy got a two-week reprieve, and now he'll be available to play against us.

Pffbbt. I'd love to hear why this got reduced.

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Wow, I always thought that Jared Allen was black:

[​IMG]

Rulon Jones all over again.

15. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Fixed it for you, Shamrock.

TG

• Like Like x 2
  16. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Good stuff, HM. :tup:

Or should I say, TG?

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    In the olden days people turned that backs on players who beat their wives, too. Personally, I give players who get a DUI, considering what tiny amounts of chump change cab rides cost compared to even the NFL minimum, no leg to stand on and they deserve no leniency whatsoever. I have more sympathy for Ricky's spleef smoking than I do for a drunk driving numb nuts.

18. imfletcher

imfletcher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I live in KC and I can tell you after meeting Jared Allen several times - this guy isn't a bad character. He's extremely likeable and down to earth and he made a couple of bad decisions....REALLY BAD. I wish nothing but the best for him and hope he can learn when to call a cab......

19. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Yes, randomly meeting someone makes it easy to determine the character of the man. :tdown:

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Batman

Two DUI's = serious alcohol problem. Period.

20. imfletcher

imfletcher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't "know" him, but I own a business that he frequents (and no, it's not a bar). Anyway....he's a genuinely good guy. I agree he's got issues, but I'm willing to withhold judgement....how many of you have driven drunk and were lucky enough not to be arrested????

21. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    That's the point. I have a DUI. After jumping through those hoops once (not to mention the $$$/embarrassment involved), I will NEVER drink and drive again. Not even "just one or two". Getting hit twice means you are stupid/arrogant enough to think you are above the law, or have a serious problem.

Please, anyone else with a DUI feel free to chime in.

Withhold judgment until he kills someone if that suits you. To me, it's complete BS that this was reduced. But what the hay, the league needs white stars. :tdown:

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I haven't had a DUI, but I agree with EC's logic on this.

The new stricter punishment rules are meant to be a deterrent for bad behavior. Getting two DUI's is just the kind of problems the NFL wants their players to avoid. Reducing the games suspended sends the wrong message, IMO.

23. imfletcher

imfletcher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not saying the sentence should've been reduced....I guess I'm just hopeful that he's got his stuff together because he is a good guy. I don't condone drinking and driving anymore than you guys do. Anyway.......

• Like Like x 1
  24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Allen actually has THREE DUI's. Got the first one in 2002.

Not smart. :no:

Why reduce it? :icon_shrug:

25. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    You would think that the NFL learned this lesson when Leonard Little killed that Mother while he was out driving around on one his benders. :tdown:

Allen is a moron. If he kills someone driving drunk, I hope it's himself and not some innocent person.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The fact that Allen has been busted twice suggests that he has driven drunk many more times. I agree that drunk driving has reached epidemic levels in our society, but I don't think the way to reduce it is to shrug it off as no big deal.

I don't think I've ever met anyone with two dui arrests that did not have an alcohol problem.

Allen was busted once. He knew the consequences of getting busted again--a four game suspension. And yet he did it. That suggests a serious impairment to his decision making abilities.