1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

SSP interviews Shawne Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jun 20, 2005

SSP was able to catch up with San Diego Chargers outside linebacker Shawne “Lights Out’’ Merriman for a few questions as he prepares for Sunday’s big playoff showdown with the New York Jets. While he wants to bring the hurt to Mark Sanchez and Thomas Jones, Merriman is an OK cat, with interesting takes on various topics.

Q: What music pumps you up before games?

“Music on the drive to the stadium pumps me up before games. I like five or six different groups. I like Jay-Z and 50 Cent, I like MGMT, Brazilian Girls. I like a bunch of different things.’’

Q: Who do you think are the most athletic professional athletes in the country?

A: “I think basketball players probably are the most athletic guys all the way around because they have to move their feet a lot more and they’re pretty tall. Most of the guys are 6-9, 6-10, 7-feet tall and they still have to run and move around and do things.’’

Q: What is the craziest thing anyone ever asked you to autograph?

A: “This woman was trying to take off her underwear on the spot to have me autograph. I kind of walked away from it. I kind of got embarrassed for the first time in a while. It’s hard to embarrass me, but that was pretty good.’’

Q: Finish this sentence…if I wasn’t a football player, I would be…

A: “A professional wrestler, more than likely. WWE, WWF.’’

Q: On that very topic, if you were a professional wrestler, what would your name be and what would your character be like?

A: “If I was a professional wrestler, I would probably stay “’Lights Out.’’ I mean, you can’t have a better overall name and character than ‘’Lights Out.’’

Q: Who surprised you (in a good or bad way) this season?

A: “Probably the Patriots were a big surprise because of what happened Sunday. They’ve been a team that always at worst would come close to the AFC Championship Game, so that was probably one of the biggest surprises.”

Q: What’s the best conversation you have had with an opposing player on the field?

A: “The best conversation I ever had was with Brandon Jacobs. The whole fourth quarter of the game we were just going at each other’s neck, trying to find each other, even if the play was away, we’d try to find each other and bang heads and then talk right after. We were talking the whole time, just talking about what we were going to do to each other the next play – he’s going to do this to me, I’m going to do this to him. It was the whole fourth quarter, literally. We didn’t know each other well, but I liked it. I think he’s a tough player.’’

Q: If you guys have a comfortable lead in the Super Bowl, is Norv Turner going to let you go out and watch The Who at the halftime show?

A: “Ha ha ha. I doubt it.’’

To find out more about “Lights Out” and the charities he supports, go to shawnemerriman.com.
  2. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Dec 26, 2009
    Good stuff....