1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

!st Down Sputters... Easy To Fix

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080815-9999-1s15chargers.html

...This article points out how futile the Bolts were on first down running plays in 2007. Hey Norv, ever heard of the forward pass? Seriously though, I found the Chargers at times looking like the Dickerson/John Robinson Rams of the 80's. I'd love to see Norv really open it up. He is a Sid Gillman/Coryell/Zampese practicioner after all. L.T. can still get his opportunities...just not ALL ON FIRST DOWN :lol:

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Are you baggin on your adopted Bolt???

:icon_huh:

PAGING BFISA !!!!

:lol:

3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...No, not bagging just hoping he realizes what he has to work with and remembers why people call him an offensive mastermind. I've always loved Norv, especially after he left the Cowboys. I'm jez trying to light a fire under his arse :lol:

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This season won't be subject to the same get acquainted jitters. They all know the system and what's expected of them and moreover they have bought into it. The system will not only be fully implemented from game one, but enhanced.

5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    Another thing that would cure the first down blues is # 21. Having LT on the field forces a defense to assume he is the #1 option and account for him. This should open somebody else up or LT will just make the first two would-be tacklers look downright foolish grasping at air where LT used to be.

As much fun as that can be, I can wait until the regular season to see it.

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    You force the issue in the run early to start the process of wearing down your opponent. Teams that don't run the ball early generally aren't good finishers. The Colts would be a good case-in-point. Notice when they started running the ball more they suddenly won a superbowl.

Anyone who's ever played football knows you are going to run the ball the vast majority of the time on first down if your coach knows what he's doing.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    At the risk of sounding like Captain obvious (aka. John Madden these days) running effectively on first and second downs makes the play action a lot more effective. Teams that can pull off play action well win close games.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That should be the case this year. I just want to see Norv & fat Teddy mix it up, adapt as needed during the game, & utilize these weapons that they have at their disposal. We can show teams quite a few looks on both sides of the ball.

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Here lies the key...RUNNING SUCCESSFULLY on first and or second down. How many times, by Norv's own admission, was he stubborn and force fed LT the ball even when things WERE NOT working. That's the part that I believe will change. If a defense knows you're running (in LT's case to the left) every first down, then you're going to be staring at a lot of 2nd and longs. Just mixing it up more on first down will have a huge impact on how things unfold as the game goes on. Norv has too brilliant an offensive mind to not reflect on what was NOT working, when they struggled. This offense should be elite. Last year they were just above average. In 2006, they were awesome in the red zone...That's something I'd love to see again and I think I will :yes: